How would you.....

agmss15

Cut up frozen flank steak? What kind of knife?

My sister and her hubby recently butchered a cow. I bought a small variety of meat from her including a flank steak.

I love using flank steak in stir fries but I don’t eat a ton of meat. Plus it stir fried well semi frozen. Many moons ago I used to have a knife that I used for cutting frozen meat. I used a knife tonight that was ineffective and unsafe.

Technique or to recommendations appreciated.

SaveComment7Like
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annie1992

I hope someone has a good idea for you. I never try to cut meat that's frozen solid. I find it's easier to slice thinly when it's partially frozen, but I've never found anything that cut frozen steak very well.

Good luck, I keep thinking about those old Ginsu commercials where they cut through the frozen block of vegetables and various metal cans, LOL.

Annie

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth

Cleaver and hammer.

Save    
plllog

Saw. There's no bone right? Cutting through frozen meat with a fine toothed saw isn't that hard, If you have a hacksaw or coping saw, just clean a new blade and install it. They also make similar saws just for food. Make sure to cut straight so you don't rack the saw. Works great on frozen soup, too. Power tools that aren't set up for wet are a bad idea, so it takes some muscle. Butchers use bandsaws.

Save    
agmss15

Ok - I will try a cleaver and if that doesn’t work thaw it out. I don’t think my sister would be pleased if I got raw steak all over our fresh bandsaw blade. Neither would I.

Thank you!

1 Like Save    
CA Kate z9

I think I understand that you don't want to thaw the whole piece. Here is something you can try: wrap the part you don't want to thaw in several layers of aluminum foil; put the whole piece in a zippered ziplock bag; submerge only the part you want to thaw in cool water. You will find that the part in water will thaw rather quickly, so if you want to maintain that crystaline texture .... for easier slicing.... then you need to watch it more carefully. Cut off the defrosted part and put the frozen part back in the freezer.

Hope this helps. Kate

4 Likes Save    
lindac92

I would and have done...partially thaw in the micro. Very short bursts of 10 seconds....then sit for 20 or 30 seconds to allow the heat to distribute.
Repeat several times.....and then try to cut it.
This method works because microwaves don't work on just the outside like the part nearest the heat source, but throughout the piece.
You don't want to have it get melty or juicy in any way, just thaw enough to saw.

1 Like Save    
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Not what you asked, but I usually thaw and cook the whole piece, and freeze the cooked meat to add to things later. It's not ideal but sometimes having something cooked in the freezer is handy.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Lighting Tell Us: How Would You Light This Room?
See if You Have the Solution For This Unusual Space
Full Story
Decorating Guides How Much Space You Need (and What to Do if You Don’t Have It)
Get tips on allowing ample room for traffic flow through kitchens, dining rooms, living rooms and other areas
Full Story
Features If You Could Talk to Your House, What Would You Say?
‘Pull yourself together’ or ‘thank you for transforming my life’? Notes to homes around the country hit us where we live
Full Story