SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

How would you handle this, or would you ignore it?

bkay2000
8 years ago

I decided I wanted to make a quilt. One of my elderly friends who quilts was my inspiration. On Wednesday, we visited, went to lunch, talked about quilts, she showed me her quilts, her grandmother's quilts, visited a great quilt shop near the restaurant and looked at her books. By the end of the day, I had decided to make a log cabin in blues and white or cream for my first quilt. It seemed like a simple pattern and considered buying jelly rolls to insure my success on the project. My friend is very supportive. She showed me all the tools I would need and sent me home with two pattern books. (My ultimate goal is a Texas Star, but thought that might be a little much for my first project. )

My sewing machine has not been used for years (and wasn't that great to start with), so I thought I would send it out for adjustment as the tension was off the last time I used it. So, yesterday, I stopped by a quilt shop that is close to my home to see if they knew someone to take it to (1st visit to that shop). When I walked up to the counter, I spotted the perfect light colored fabric for my quilt.

First thing, they told me the log cabin was not that easy. Then, they told me it didn't matter if I knew how to sew or not, it wasn't quilting. "Quilting is detailed", she said, "you need to know the tricks". I just replied that I'm pretty good with details. Then she told me a horror story about some doctor (detail oriented, capable person) who made a quilt 2 feet too big. Then I mentioned jelly rolls and she said they were not accurately cut. Then they told me I definitely needed to take a class to make something I'm not interested in. Then my machine probably wasn't any good (they could be right). I finally said my grandmother made hundreds of quilts and didn't own a quilting square. I felt totally beat up by the time I left.

My guess is that the main person doing the "beating" was the sister to the owner (they looked alike). The owner seemed to sense my dismay and tried to smooth it over. They were totally nice people. It was a nice shop. They just had no sense of the damage they do to their business. Their google reviews were perfect until recently. If I rated them, I would rate them poorly, even if they have a good shop. I have considered writing a letter to the owner to describe how poorly I felt treated. Then, again I still need my machine repaired, if possible.Then, maybe it's not worth the effort.

Is the log cabin really that difficult? Am I deluding myself that this is a totally doable project?

bk

Comments (13)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals