SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shopperpicky

How would you handle this? (long)

amicus
11 years ago

My sister has decided to end her 17 year marriage to my wonderful brother in law. Unfortunately, she became one of those fools who went on Facebook, began talking with a former flame, 'just to catch up' and then got involved in an emotional affair, which soon became physical.

My brother in law was devastated, as this came out of left field. It knocked the rest of our family for a loop as she has always (even recently) openly praised her spouse for being such a doting, romantic husband and wonderful step father to her 4 children and admitted how lucky she is to have him for her husband.

For whatever reason, she now feels her old flame has more in common with her, and rejected all pleas to think about this longer, try counselling, etc. After only 6 weeks, she is moving into his home with him. My husband absolutely loves his brother in law. Our usual visits always had me catching up on things with my sister and DH out on the deck with her hubby, laughing and talking to his 'little brother.' So DH is very upset at how devastated his brother in law is, because my sister not only took up with this guy behind his back, but virtually ignored her children while everything was falling to pieces.

The kids are all older than 19, but were devestated that their mother sequestered herself in her room to talk and make plans with her new flame, while refusing to come out and talk with her kids. She told them that they were being selfish to try to convince her into giving this more thought, becaue she was 'ready to move on and they had just better accept that.'

Today my sister called and said that her and her new flame want me and DH and our grown children to come visit them this summer. He is rather well to do and has a much nicer house than the one she had, so I know she's anxious to entertain us there. DH absoultely will not visit her and doesn't even want to talk to her again. I just can't estrange myself from my sister, despite how upset I am with her right now, as we were always so close.

I fear that I won't be able to express my feelings about everything over the phone, so I'm debating visiting her and after meeting her new boyfriend, asking my sister if we ladies can have some time alone to talk. Then I would tell her that DH is not comfortable visiting her and not comfortable ever having her and her new guy visit at our home.

DH accepts that my sister will still be in my life, but he no longer feels she needs to be in HIS. We live a few hundred miles apart, so any visit would involve being an overnight guest. If you were me, would you visit your sister by yourself for possibly the rest of your life and explain to her that she is no longer welcome to come visit you because your DH won't have her in your home? He just can't forgive that she cheated on his 'brother' and doesn't want a relationship with her anymore.

Comments (38)