SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ldgman1970

New Neighbor Issues-How would you handle?

ldgman1970
17 years ago

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I have been living in the same apartment building close to four years, the last two of which were made miserable by a noisy upstairs neighbor. When we found out that she was moving out we both jumped for joy, literally. We have both been excitedly watching people come and look at the apartment hoping and praying that we would get a decent neighbor. I was really fantasizing that we would get some young yuppie couple or maybe even a couple of graduate students.

A couple of weeks ago my girlfriend ran into a person that she knew looking at the apartment and I could tell by the expression on her face she wasn't too happy. As it turns out this guy had been the football coach for one of her boys a couple of years before and had been a little "tough" to communicate with. And guess who ends up taking the apartment? We are both a "little" jaded from our last neighbor and already we are having misgivings with the new one.

It started out with him moving in at 7:45 a.m. this past Saturday morning. Now I have moved quite a few times so I understand that this is how it goes sometimes. Could he have started later..yes...but I could deal with this and I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. Then, about 11:00 p.m. Saturday night we hear him, and probably his girlfriend, walking back in forth across the hardwood floors in their shoes obviously setting up things in their apartment and this goes on until a little after 1:00 a.m. I understand that when you move into a new apartment you want to set things up but common sense should tell you that walking back and forth across a hard wood floor with your shoes on at 1:00 a.m. does not make a lot of sense. And now the kicker.

At our apartment building we are all assigned a parking spots, with our neighbor and us each getting two spots. We each have one spot directly behind our building and the other two spots are located next to a couple of other buildings in our complex and require less than a minute walk. Well...our neighbor has a "Mini" and has decided that they are going to create a "third" parking spot and park their "Mini" in between our car and their other car instead of walking the dreadfully "long" walk back to the other parking spot. My girlfriend and I are obviously already irritated and this guy has only lived here three days. Any suggestions on how to approach our neighbor in a manner that wont end in me with smoke coming out of my ears and our neighbor flying through the air. I am not trying to be negative here but these early incidents don't bode well and this guy is well into his late thirties and should know better.

Thanks!!

Comments (16)

Sponsored