SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

How would you handle this?

catherinet
16 years ago

Hi all,

We have about 33 acres. The back of our woods meets up with someone else's woods. The owner of those woods inherited a big piece of farmland when his grandmother died, and he moved from the city and built 3 big homes on the property. Unfortunately, one of the people (child?) runs a very loud dirtbike all through the woods. He's done it every evening this week, when we're trying to enjoy our backyard. We live sort of in a little valley that goes down to a creek, and sounds are really amplified here too. Besides it ruining our peace and quiet, I fear it has probably scared off the family of barred owls who used to live there.

How would you handle this? Would you just try to ignore it? Would you talk to the parents? Would you call the DNR officer and let him handle it?

I have talked to the DNR officer about it in the past and he said that, unfortunately, they are probably within their rights to do this. There are certain muffler requirements on off-road vehicles, but he said that dirt bikes are different and they make them to be LOUD.

I am so bummed out over this. Its really hard for me to ignore these sounds, although the rest of my family doesn't seem bothered by it.

I know we all have different ways of enjoying ourselves, but my birdwatching, nature walks, and enjoying my ponds doesn't blast any of my neighbors.......so it ticks me off that they are doing that to me, and I apparently have no rights.

I'm usually a "be direct and honest" type of person, but sometimes that can backfire when you're dealing with people who are doing very loud things....even if you try to be nice about it.

How would you handle this?

If I ruled the world, those things would be illegal!

Thanks for your perspective!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21