SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megankamins

Which floorplan layout do you prefer and how would you improve?

MBAK
3 years ago

Hello Houzzers!

You've helped me in the past with a recent beach vacation house remodel that I'm sad to say is still in variance approval hell with the town.

Because my hubby and I are obviously insane, we're also planning a move to what may be our "forever home" which would require an extensive remodel as well - completely gutting and adding some square footage in back to first and second floor.

I'm hoping you'd again be so kind to take a look at two floorplan options. Which do you prefer? Ways to improve? What am I missing? THANK YOU!!

Plan A

Floor 1: I don't love where the powder room is, there's no real pantry.

Floor 2: There's four bedrooms which is fine for our needs (will also have finished attic with bathroom that could be bedroom)

Plan B

Floor 1: I don't like how stairs are so close to entry (I'd lose "wine room" which we don't need on first floor with pantry and butler's pantry spaces and have everything slide back so stairs would be maybe 3-4 ft farther back) and dining room is smaller (is it too small?). Disregard what looks like steps down to kitchen/family room area (we are leveling floors and ceiling).

Floor 2: I'm not sure I need 5 bedrooms, but they're all good sizes so am fine with layout as long as moving stairs back still creates entrances to bedrooms and bathrooms now on 2nd floor along staircase.

Comments (18)