Hasselback Plum Tomato Caprese
last month
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (17)
Related Discussions
A Central Florida tomato story...
Comments (76)Hi Silvia, maybe they're kind words but you make it easy, over a Sungold Caprese salad LOL. The thread got so big, I'm reading it in pieces so forgive me if I say something you've covered. To tell the truth, I just keep coming back to look at the pictures ;-) When/how are you going to pull your plants this year? Do you take them to the end, or as you say force a break to lessen carrying any disease (and I say enjoying Christmas). I think we're going to have an early frost this year since that's the way it's been going. It'll definitely get us up here, but hopefully you'll be insulated around 3 hours to the south. Three hours, hmmm. If things work out I might just crash your April party! I'm actually going to try the mix with spinosad and neem, because you suggested it... The spinosad alone is worthless but I've never used neem, and need to look more into it, since it gets such good reviews. I have a highly refined horticultural oil called Sunspray that I've used for mites successfully which may be an ok swap, so I'll read up on the difference to be sure. I started keeping single vines, and you're right about that. At this point, I am letting the plants put out everything they can. It's not because I am happy with that, only because every single flower counts here and pruning and waiting as the Sun falls further won't get a few last clusters in. So it used to single but now they are an intertwined mess with lots of yellow ;-) October was a great month in general as it always is, but the party will be over as quickly as it started. September was a total rainout which delayed everything and why transplant date was Oct 3. Hi labs ! Yes a sort of summer fabric would be just what the doctor ordered. Sounds like a project for next year spring/summer. But for extending the season, the plants now couldn't take the hit in loss of light. Sometimes I think I should just get a grow room inside the house with silver wallpaper and a huge electric bill :-( Cheers! PC EDIT... about Citrus, nope that's not our source here but I bet it is a big deal around Indian River... we're too far north except for an ocassional pet tree in the yard for fun. There are two trees within 500 feet and later I'm going to sneak a look at them both just for fun. Better not to ask, since it might not go over well, if I say can I inspect your lemon and orange tree for leafminers I have on my tomatoes ;-)))) This post was edited by PupillaCharites on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 11:58...See MorePost Your Tomato Pictures, Part 4
Comments (49)This is my first year growing tomatoes, so it's been quite an experience given our unusually cold and wet spring here in Seattle. I planted several plants from seed at the end of March and transplanted them just after Memorial Day. I had to keep them under hoops and plastic for the last month since we've barely reached 70ðF all spring. We're finally getting sunny, warm weather this week. Now my tomato plants have dozens of flowers, and they're finally setting fruit. Cherokee Purple heirloom plant Sungold with 3 tiny fruits and about a dozen flowers Flowers on a Black Krim heirloom plant, including a megabloom in the middle Closeup of the megabloom on a Black Krim heirloom plant...See MorePost your favorite tomato dishes!!
Comments (35)Tried a different sauce last night. My plum tomato harvest ended months ago, so I grabbed some from the produce stand. I didn't make the basil-infused olive oil since I already had a bottle. Was amazed how simple and so good. Naked Tomato Sauce My adaptation of Naked Tomato Sauce: 3 pounds plum tomatoes 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt crushed red pepper flakes 1/4 cup basil olive oil 1 large clove garlic, finely minced pasta water 1 tablespoon butter (optional) fresh basil for garnish Mince garlic and add to basil olive oil. Let sit at room temp for a couple hours. Blanch tomatoes, peel, seed, and save juice. Add chopped tomatoes, crushed red pepper, and salt to a large saucepan; turn the heat to medium-high. Once the sauce has begun to boil turn the heat down to medium-low and gently simmer tomatoes for 35 to 45 minutes, mashing them more if needed. If they begin to look a little dry, add the strained and reserved tomato juices. Boil pasta. Once sauce is cooked to the consistency you like stir in the olive oil. Save a bit of pasta water then drain pasta. Add pasta to the simmering tomato sauce with some of the pasta water and cook them together for another minute or two. Add remaining pasta water if needed to loosen the sauce. Stir in the butter, if using, and serve immediately with basil chiffonade garnish....See MoreFave fresh tomato recipe
Comments (19)(from America's Test Kitchen) Ingredients unbleached all-purpose flour, for work surface 1 box frozen puff pastry, (Pepperidge Farm, 1.1 pound), thawed in box in refigerator overnight 1 large egg, beaten 2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese, (about 1 cup) 1 pound plum tomatoes, (about 3 to 4 medium), cored and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices table salt 2 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons) 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil Ground black pepper 8 ounces whole-milk mozzarella cheese, shredded (2 cups) 2 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Dust work surface with flour and unfold both pieces puff pastry onto work surface. Following illustrations below, form 1 large sheet with border, using beaten egg as directed. Sprinkle Parmesan evenly over shell; using fork, uniformly and thoroughly poke holes in shell. Bake 13 to 15 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees; continue to bake until golden brown and crisp, 13 to 15 minutes longer. Transfer to wire rack; increase oven temperature to 425 degrees. While shell bakes, place tomato slices in single layer on double layer paper towels and sprinkle evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt; let stand 30 minutes. Place second double layer paper towels on top of tomatoes and press firmly to dry tomatoes. Combine garlic, olive oil, and pinch each salt and pepper in small bowl; set aside. Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over warm (or cool, if made ahead) baked shell. Arrange prosciutto in single layer on top of mozzarella. Shingle tomato slices widthwise on top of prosciutto (about 4 slices per row); brush tomatoes with garlic oil. Bake until shell is deep golden brown and cheese is melted, 15 to 17 minutes. Cool on wire rack 5 minutes, sprinkle with basil, slide onto cutting board or serving platter, cut into pieces, and serve....See More- last monthlast modified: last month
- last month
- last month
- last month
- last month
- last month
- last month
- last month
- last monthlast modified: last month


plllog