SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sfrench0621

Looking for input on preliminary floorplans - please help :)

sfrench0621
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Good Morning. My husband and I are in the process of working with a builder to create floor plans for our dream home. We have 1 child and are considering having a second down the line. We purchased a 2 acre lot in NW PA and were looking for a home with the following criteria: open floorplan, must be a ranch, have at least 2 living spaces, 2.5 baths and we like the master and guest bedrooms to be separated. The builder showed us several designs and we liked this one best, but we have some concerns and are looking for some feedback or advice on how to improve the floorplans.

We are already having them shift the sliding door to the right wall on the dining room and will be adding 3 windows where the door is currently located. We are also adding a fireplace in the great room which will eliminate the middle window. The garages are also going to be extended an additional 2 feet to make the smaller section (which will mainly be used for storage) roomier.

These are our main areas of concern:

Master bathroom: my husband doesn't like having the master closet accessible only through the bathroom. I know there may be issues about ventilation, but this doesn't really bother me. We don't see any way around it with this design without shrinking the master bath and putting the entrance to the closet in the hall near the computer nook entrance. We also are worried about the layout of the master bath in general. For instance, where would we hang our towels when taking the shower since the only nearby wall space is next to the toilet. I think we are so used to having the shower against the back wall. My husband also thinks we don't need such a large vanity space, but I think the extra storage may come in handy. I wouldn't mind losing some of the vanity for a more functional design.

Great room: We're worried that it may be dark with the only lighting coming from the dining room windows, 2 windows along the back great roowall and windows from entry door. Also concerned about furniture placement, since my husband does not want to put the TV above the fireplace.

Kitchen: Again, we're worried it may be dark and I'm concerned that there won't be enough cabinet space. We're also worried that the pantry may be too small.

Guest bathroom: Worried that this is too small, but don't know how we could make it any larger without giving up space in the sunroom or already small guest bedrooms.

We would really appreciate any feedback on the plans! Thanks in advance!

Comments (16)