SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nk4oh

Help wanted, please: Preliminary kitchen reno plan (Long!)

nk4oh
13 years ago

This is a preliminary version of my kitchen design. I'm hoping to get suggestions and critiques from the TKO members to improve and sharpen it.

Some background: We (two 60-ish adults) live in an old farmhouse that imposes some constraints on our choices. The main one being that this house has had the good luck of having had no significant renovations for more than 120 years. When we bought it I assumed it was just an ordinary old house and planned to make some updates. As I studied the house I was first surprised, and then paralyzed into inaction by the discovery that we had inadvertently bought an almost frozen-in-time, pre-Civil War period farmhouse. Since we place a high value on that physical integrity we have been very cautious about any changes we consider. There are no legal or historical preservation restrictions; we could raze it if we wished. We expect to live out our lives here (and beyond since there is a cemetery out back), so there are no resale issues to consider.

Lately, our reoccuring frustration with the barely functional kitchen has boiled over again, and we realized: if not now, when? We are (finally!) ready to embark on our plan to change the "assigned" functions of some of the first floor rooms in order to make the house more appropriate for us and to move the kitchen to a larger space. Over the years, this room has had more significant changes than any other so it's "ripe" for some restorative improvements. I believe the last reno (c1888) actually moved the kitchen out of this room. Right now it has two radically mismatched windows and six doorways, one of which is a 6-foot wide, double-leafed opening and another is a single-leaf french door to the outside. With a space so hashed up, there's little chance I'll make things worse. So here goes:

Adapted from Buehl's very useful checklist on the "Read me if you are new thread".

GOALS? I want the kitchen to work well for all the kitchen tasks I do. I want to use my existing appliances; I want to incorporate some inherited components from family kitchens; I want the fundamental "bones" such as counter heights to be custom-tailored to us; I want the style to be period-sympathetic, but not period-facsimile; I want to use simple, natural elements where possible; I place a higher value on function and form than on fashion.

FAMILY COMPOSITION? Two adults, no children.

KITCHEN WORKERS? Generally one cook at a time, with perhaps a minimal help, mostly just to keep company, assemble the salad or set the table.

HOW DO YOU SEE YOUR KITCHEN USED? It needs to work for daily scratch cooking of three meals; and to accommodate a significant amount of food preservation, baking, and some dairying (mostly cheese making). This isn't intended to be an eat-in kitchen, hardly even a snack-in one.

DO YOU BAKE? Yes.

DO YOU HAVE A SEPARATE DR? There is an adjacent dining room/library. It will be used for every meal, except for working lunches.

DO YOU ENTERTAIN A LOT? Entertaining considerations are very modest. And I am mindful of Magnaverde's Rule #16.

DO YOU WANT YOUR KITCHEN TO BE A "HANG OUT" PLACE?Emphatically, no. Except that I want to have an out-of-the-maelstrom perch for a "company keeper", while one of us is cooking. Other than that, hanging-out guests would be politely discouraged or turfed out, if necessary.

PANTRY? Step-in pantry in kitchen, with additional space in the adjacent hall for more storage and a freezer.

WHAT APPLIANCES DO YOU PLAN ON HAVING?

RANGE? Existing 48", six burner, double oven range

MW? Existing MW if it will fit; if not, then a new one.

DW? Planning for one, though I may decide to drop it.

REFRIGERATOR? Plan to use existing one (33", bottom-freezer) but make leave room to fit in larger size in the future.

VENTILATION HOOD? Will need to purchase.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO OPEN UP THE KITCHEN TO ADJACENT AREAS? No.

CAN WINDOWS OR DOORWAYS CHANGE SIZE? Actually both windows must be changed: one back to its original dimensions and the other to be converted into a french door; the current french door to be blocked off. Two other doors will be eliminated and the large double door opening narrowed.

DOES THE SINK HAVE TO BE CENTERED UNDER A WINDOW? No.

DOES IT HAVE TO BE UNDER A WINDOW AT ALL? No.

CAN SUPPLY, PLUMBING AND GAS LINES BE MOVED? Easily as there is good access from the cellar.

WHERE ARE YOU INFLEXIBLE? The southern window must return to its original (pre-1888) position to match others on this facade. The other window will be changed to a french door, partly to get light and outside access, and partly to disguise the fact that because this room spans two separate sections of the house the second window opening can never match (for structural reasons) the recreated "original" window nearby. The range must be on an exterior wall for venting.

Now, some notes about the sketch below.

This is just a concept plan at this point. I am unconcerned with decor and details such as sizes/arrangements of individual cabs, etc. My focus now is assessing whether this design will work well. Here's how I arrived at the basic bones:

The width of the room (13' 8") is the first constraint. It's not wide enough to have a "normal" sized island, but too wide for a double galley, or U-shaped kitchen. Also my range requires a counter depth of 30", and needs to be along the only exterior wall. I'd like 42" aisles (measured counter to counter, ignore cab box depths, for now, as all will be custom). With a normal depth 24" counter on the opposite wall, I am left with room for an approx. 26/27" wide island top in the middle. I know is considered skimpy but I think it will be acceptable since there is no seating, just workspace. Having an island with a prep sink gives the kitchen a generous and useful amount of counter space, and distinctly separated prep and clean-up zones. It also makes for good circulation within the room.

The second constraint is that the location of the southern window is fixed since it's part of a symmetrical Greek Revival facade. This window location, in turn, fixes the position of the range and hood which must avoid both the window and some large structural members within the walls.

Next I worked on where to put the storage zone. The room is longer from north to south than from side to side (17'5" v. 13'8"), so it made sense to use that extra space for pantry and the fridge. I fussed with various configurations of pantries and fridge trying to find a way to have a shared landing space, but I couldn't make it work. As I was reading the old threads I read about the brilliant idea of a step-in corner pantry, and the design just fell into place from there. The only loss was a contiguous landing space, but I think the island top (notwithstanding the prep sink and faucet) will suffice as it is no farther away than the other counter-to-counter distances. This makes for a good flow of food: from storage (dry or cold) to island with prep sink and prep space then to the range. This leg is a trifle long (8 to 9 feet), but OK.

Next, I placed the clean-up zone along the remaining wall on the far side of the island. The DW is placed to the left of sink. Since it is near the end of the run (with only a narrow pull-out, or filler, planned to use up the last few inches), I also can raise it above counter height without causing an awkward disruption of continuous counter run. Next comes the sink (30" single bowl, already on hand), and then counter from there to the end (a bit more than three feet.) In this space I can clean quantities of garden veg for preservation and do dairy work like washing of cheese and butter which requires access to running water.

The clean-up zone to storage/fridge leg is longish (10' 6") but not outrageous. To get from the clean-up zone to the cooking zone I would have to walk around the end of the island. But for most tasks I would be working wholly within a single aisle (each with access to water) without much need to go between them. Each aisle would also have a direct path to the food storage zone. Dishes and some prep and cooking stuff would be stored under the island, (in double-sided drawers) so stowing things after dishwashing should be easy. Pots and pans will be hung over the island, or stashed in drawers/cupboards under the counters surrounding the range.

The next thing was the space around the range. On the right, in front of the window, seemed a good place for an approx. 76" long prep counter and baking center. There's room on the left side for an 18" (poss. 24") counter, for a hot landing space and prep.

Finally, on the east end of the north wall there's room for some essential bookshelves, and space for a perch for the company-keeper to sit and chat. The chair will somewhat block the french door, but the door is primarily for ventilation and light and not circulation. It's also needed for visual flummery to disguise the irreconcilable mismatch between the two exterior wall openings.

And so, there it is and here is how I imagine it would work.

A meal is begun by taking food from the storage zone to be washed or prepped on the island and counters by the range. A second cook could prep and plate salad or non-cooked food on the clean-up side of the island without entering the cooking zone. When the cooking is finished, food is plated on plates from drawers under the island and taken to the dining room.

Afterwards the flow is reversed when plates and dirty utensils are taken from the dining room and island top to be washed up. Leftovers can be packaged or put away from either aisle. The range-wall and island surfaces can be cleaned and squared away without interfering with the washing-up.

When the dishes and counters are done, stuff can be stowed directly to cupboards from the clean-up zone, or temporarily staged on the island until there's a chance to go to the cooking aisle and put the cleaned things in the various range-wall storage areas.

The specialized tasks of food preservation and baking have adequate room, easy access to water, and plenty of additional counter space beyond their "native" areas since the island surface would be close at hand. (I can't imagine a scenario where I would be baking, canning and making cheese simultaneously!)

As I worked on this drawing many decorative and storage ideas have presented themselves. Anyone who has worked up a kitchen plan will know how distracting (and fun) these little idea rushes are. But right now I�m concentrating on the critical issues of overall work flow, circulation, and space considerations. I figure if I get those right, the next steps will be easier and even more fun.

So, what do you see that I am not seeing and that needs to be improved or changed? I am keen to hear your ideas and suggestions. I apologize for offering so much (long winded) detail; I hope it will save time and frustration if you know where I started from, and why.

Thank you all, so much, for taking the trouble to read this and look over my plan. I am very grateful for the chance to have my preliminary design mulled over by so many kitchen mavens. I have already learned so much from reading about and looking at the amazing kitchens you have made. And as you will see, I have shamelessly co-opted as many of your wonderful ideas as I could.

(NB: Not to perfect scale. Please chalk up any slight measurement discrepancies to drawing errors and the usual out-of-squareness of very old houses; these will be dealt with later as I have built in some wiggle room. Aisle widths are quoted on actual distances from counter edge to counter edge -with overhang- and not from cab faces.)

Comments (11)