SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blaster1492

Design-challenged...Please help with preliminary ideas!

blaster1492
10 years ago

Hi all,
Thanks for taking the time to read this! My wife and I recently bought our first home - a 1919 frame bungalow in the suburbs of Chicago. It is a charming home, and we are looking to update the kitchen. Let me start off by saying that I know there are some purists on this forum who have strong beliefs about how to (or how not to) update a kitchen in an old home. We do planning on adding 21st century amenities/style, but are committed to doing it in a way which fits with the character of the home.

We are still in the early stages and haven't yet met with any professionals, but we are having trouble even coming up with initial thoughts to bring to whichever remodeling companies we will meet with. So I figured I could leave you all with the layout, and if anyone would be so kind to donate their creative juices and thoughts it would be oh so much appreciated! Here is a nifty link to our floorplan:

http://www.smartfloorplan.com/orders/bin/shell2.php?folder=il/v332267&idx=yes

Here are some problems/issues/thoughts on our mind right now:
1. The kitchen is closed off from the rest of the house (we actually kind of like that in many ways, but it limits our options for expanding space)
2. The kitchen space itself is not that large.
3. At the very least, we are thinking of taking down the wall between the kitchen and pantry to create additional space, and stealing some space from the adjacent bedroom's closet. This will be helpful no matter what, but it is somewhat limited by what I think is a chimney which vents the furnace (see diagram).
4. We are considering the possibility of expanding the kitchen into the sunroom. This would create a huge amount of space! But the sunroom is not currently heated, and not sure if it is a "proper" structure in the sense of making it part of the inside of the house. Any idea on what would be involved or how expensive it would be to make this a true "inside" space?
5. If it were in any way possible, we would really like to have an island. But I don't see how that would be possible unless significant changes in layout were made (aka going into sunroom). Agree?

At this point we're not at the level of detail to discuss where to put what type of cabinet, etc, just how you all would utilize the space in general and if you have any tricks up your sleeve to make this a great kitchen!

Thanks in advance and happy holidays to you all!

Comments (15)