SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_35170883

Our future farmhouse - another ARG work

User
6 years ago

Hello!

We have been working with the lovely Doug (ArchitectRunnerGuy) to design our family's farmhouse in western Washington, north of Seattle. He has really been a delight to work with and I am so thrilled with his design, but would love some feedback from all of you knowledgeable peeps.

Background: We are a family of 4, myself and my husband and our two kids, a 4.5 year old girl and a 2 year old boy. We also have two bouncing yellow labradors. DH and I both work outside the home. The land is 32 acres that we're purchasing from family; it's been in my husband's family for 100+ years, and was a working dairy farm for much of that time. There are many large barns, a milking parlor, shop, etc on the property as well. Views to the east are of the beautiful Cascade mountain range. Views to the north are of a river, although it's not very visible due to tree-line. Views to the south are of a gorgeous rolling hillside, and to the west are neighbor's pasture. I wanted to take advantage of the east and south views (my favorites!).

I asked Doug to design something with an open concept kitchen/dining/living room, with the dining between kitchen and living room. I asked for 3 bedrooms plus a bonus space (we will use as a combo guest room and play room while the kids are young, and an "away" media room when they get older), room for lots of storage in the mud room for hubby's beer brewing/hunting/fishing gear, and around 2500 square feet.

95% of the time, we will enter the house through the garage and mud room. This will also be a drop-off zone for our kids' stuff, shoes, coats, etc.

This will be a hobby farm. Once we're built, we'll have cattle, chickens, turkeys...maybe more. There are cattle on the pasture now (agreement with DH's cousins who live across the creek).

Would love your feedback on things we should consider/tweak. Honestly, I love it as-is...Doug took my ideas and put them in the perfect layout for us. And the exterior looks like a farmhouse, like it belongs on the land, which was also very important for me.

Without further ado (hopefully you can see these ok)

Comments (42)