SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kawerkamp

New House Plan Reveal (a la ARG)--hooray!!

kawerkamp
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

After much hemming and hawing over our previous
houseplan last Christmas (I was already hemming over it, but when I posted the
design, feedback from the gardenweb community caused more hawing!), we decided
to scrap them (engineered and everything—ouch!) and start afresh. We brought in the pros and asked Doug (aka,
architectrunnerguy) to preserve the general concept of our previous main floor
layout, but finesse things, pare down the square footage, and simplify to
a more classic elevation. And viola—a
new plan is ready to fly Doug’s nest and greet the gardenweb world! I’m open to
any suggestions you might have about flow, elevation aesthetics/balance, window placement, floorplan
practicalities, etc.--we haven’t started drafting the plan yet, so now is the time to
speak your mind (I have a thick skin)!

A few notes:

• This is the long-term home on acreage for our
    family of 8 (and we frequently host our large extended families).
  • The house faces NW (all our views of the valley
    are out the front, hence the big porch and family room on the front of the
    house), so the sunroom is positioned to maximize SE sun exposure (we are in
    cold country).
  • The sportcourt goes from basement level up
    through the main level (i.e., it is accessed from the basement). We have many reasons for attaching the sportcourt to the house (yes, it is a design beast that Doug has artfully integrated), so don't try to convince me to make it a separate structure!

Contemplated changes:

• Wouldthe master a couple feet bigger.
  • We are most likely scooting the back kitchen door and sunroom about 5’
    to the right (because I want a big stretch of counter with a sink on the back
    kitchen wall—and all windows behind it!)—it will disrupt the lovely symmetry the
    sunroom currently has with the family room, but I don’t know if that will be so
    noticeable when standing inside the house, and think I’m willing to sacrifice it
    to get a big stretch of counter and sink on the back wall of the kitchen. It will also give more room for traffic to clear the island and we can then square up the sunroom wall (currently at a diagonal to give us enough clearance around the island). Thoughts?
  • I'm toying with swapping the locations of the
    master bath and closet (so that you hit the bathroom first from the bedroom and
    the closet will be one big closet on the front of the house with the W/D connected
    to it….Doug is less keen on that, but I keep thinking I would prefer having one
    big closet and the toilet closer to the master).
    The only requirement I have on bathroom layout is that the shower (about
    4-5’x6-7’) be on an exterior wall because I love showering with open windows
    all summer long (we’re out in the country, so privacy is a non-issue!). Would love any ideas on how you would lay out bath & closet within the current footprint (or only bumping walls in/out by a couple
    feet).

Comments (29)