SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myredhouse_gw

Help Me Update with Paint! (pics)

myredhouse
15 years ago

I need opinions. WeÂre moving into my inlaws former home in the next month. My husband grew up in this house so it is hard for him to imagine things changed. IÂm hoping you fine, opinionated folks can help me out. The house has pretty much had only minimal updates since it was built in the early 1980s. IÂm going to just post one problem at a time!

Dilemma #1: Paint

So in a thread a couple months ago fellow posters help me to decide on this rug. Here it is in the room. ItÂs a Karastan Multipanel Kirman. The bookcases stay (not anything in them) and the only other furniture at this point is a glass coffee table and side table set not in the photos.

The trouble is the open plan. Anything I paint on the wall of the living room has to go with the dining room and whatever color I run up the stairs. The dining room has to go with whatever gets run up the stairs, the color in the living room AND the kitchen. Here are some more photos so you can get a sense of the space and the rug.

From the middle of the dining room, the kitchen is on the other side of the stairs from the living room (so that wall with the two little doors are in the kitchen):

Hallway from living room (that's the laundry/deep freezer behind those big doors):

Stairway:

Wall at top of the stairs:

This is what IÂve come up with so far, all BM colors:

Palladium Blue- Dining room

Popcorn Kernel- Kitchen

Stratton Blue- Living Room

Cocoa Sand- Stairs and the hallway wall (and a huge playroom you can see from the kitchen but nowhere else)

What do you think? IÂll take all suggestions and opinions! Is Cocoa Sand too boring? Palladium blue to cold? Stratton Blue not dark enough? Does one of them not play well with the others? Do you have an entirely alternate color scheme for me to go with the rug? Or have I got it right?

Comments (20)