SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shelleyjr

Please help me choose a yellow paint, pics provided

shelleyjr
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We just purchased this 1024 square ft. condo. The flooring has been ripped out and will be replaced with luxury vinyl planks in Sterling Oak, a gray by LifeProof vinyl from Home Depot. The painter is a friend of ours who also owns a condo in the same complex. He uses Dunn-Edwards paint and I really want to use their colors.

Some details so you know what I'm dealing with. The condo faces Southwest which is great however it doesn't have any exterior windows on true outside walls. All the windows and sliding glass doors face the patio. Which is covered by the patio above it. See the picture below.

The Yellow I have chosen is Dunn Edwards 323 Ivory charm. It's a beautiful buttery yellow. But as you know light reflectance value is only one part of the equation when you're dealing with yellows. Yellow seems to multiply in intensity as you get it on the wall. Ivory charm has a light reflectance value of 85. It's also pretty much dead center in the yellow Spectrum in the Munsell color wheel.

But one of the things I didn't like about Ivory charm was it didn't seem like it had enough pigment to hold up against Dunn-Edwards White 380. It was like there wasn't enough contrast and that is probably because Ivory charm can be found in the Dunn-Edwards whites.

So I did foam boards with Ivory charm as is but then had them mix it at 135%. Ivory charm at 135% on the left and the original on the right.

DEW380 White is going to be used on the ceiling in flat and then high gloss for all the trim doors and such. Crown molding is being added too and it will be done in the high gloss white as well.

This condo is definitely going to need some wall sconces and more lighting because it is like a cave in there. The colors that the guy painted were absolutely hideous, so you have been warned!

Here are some of the photographs of the walls with the foam boards in front of them. The 135% is on the left. I have also chosen a Dunn-Edwards gray and I'm not sure if I'm going to use that or not. The place already looks like a cave but then again we don't have any of our lighting installed.

The question I have about Ivory charm is should I use the 135% formulation or the original? Also should I paint the entire condo Ivory charm at 135 percent or the original or add in the gray in some rooms?

Thank you for any insights and advice you can offer, it is greatly appreciated.

Comments (74)

• shelleyjr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Flo,

I just was doing what you did. I looked at Ivory Charm LRV 85 on the Dunn-Edwards color fan because it gives Hue, Value and Chroma. What they say;

Hue is 5.64 yellow, slightly towards the green side of yellow

Value 9.3

Chroma 1.6

Then I looked up Honey Nectar DET 470 it has a light reflectance value of 71;

Hue is 3.8 on the yellow

Value 8.7

Chroma 4.2

Now I also use a tool called the Russell paint color wheel and it has the Hue family broken down into degrees. And here's where it gets interesting, the ivory charm being at 5.6 for yellow is just slightly going towards the cool side of yellow green. Which you already mentioned.

Whereas the honey nectar has a hue value of 3.8, is on the warm side of yellow going towards orange. I think that's why I don't like these two colors together. And I agree with you 100% the honey nectar is just way too intense.

DEW380 White

LRV 93

Hue 4.3 GY

Value 9.6

Chroma 0.1

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    The 380 white looks good. Dunn and Edwards is ahead of industry incorporating color data. Good for you looking at this info. Sounds like you are on the right track. Let us know what you decide. Glad you are moving away from the Honey color! Whew!!
  • Related Discussions

Please help me choose exterior paint colors for Ocala block house

Q

Comments (4)
    I'm in agreement with you that for your situation something of low contrast would be best. You could have the shutters more or less match the house color (or even go ligher, say a cream color) or a soft green with yellow tones to it. I would let the landscaping provide the color (and I'm so hoping you're not doing grass in your tropical environment) and let it be the lush counterpoint to your cool-looking light colored house. I think it would be beautiful.
    ...See More

Please help me choose fabric for my curtains (Pics included)

Q

Comments (10)
    Thanks kiko. I am not keeping the couch I am going to replace it with the goodwin sectional in dove grey from west elm when I get the chance. My built ins were built by a very talented friend and have been wonderful. It hides ALL of the Guitar Hero/Rock Band mess and provides storage for family board games, dvds, dvd equipment, and my endless supply of photo albums. Here is a link that might be useful: Goodwin Sectional
    ...See More

lots of pics to help you help me with paint for kitchen- please

Q

Comments (6)
    I did pick up a sample of Wyndham Cream, and also Hawthorne Yellow. The first coat of each is drying now. The cream color is so pretty but I'm afraid it will just look off-white. Have to give it another coat and look a few times.....I do think I am going in another direction compared to the colors I posted first...I think those will compete too much. Any others to consider? thanks again! J
    ...See More

Lots of PICS of paint tests - please help me choose!

Q

Comments (27)
    Don't even know how many homes I've put RG in at this point. I will tell you that I don't put RG and Blonde together much any more unless there is substantial natural light. Reason being you can hardly tell the difference between the two. In a couple of homes that's worked out well. Blonde was just a snidge lighter than RG so it all looked like the same color, but in the individual spaces the lightness of Blonde helped *lift* that area whereas the RG would have been too dark. If a definite difference between areas is desired, I pair RG with Believeable Buff. BB ended up being what several people thought Blonde would have/should have looked like next to RG. Had a couple clients repaint Blonde with BB because they thought there would be more of a difference. I suggested only partial repaints for them because RG worked out great just needed to tweak the contrast with BB. If you sample in your space and you can easily see a diff between Blonde and RG, it should be fine. Just be aware and really look before you decide. Don't assume RG and Blonde are a good pairing just because of how they are ordered on the strip.
    ...See More
  • shelleyjr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I want to thank everyone for such great advice, it truly is appreciated. At this point I am having a melt down over yellow paint colors. I really want to get it right the first time. Since the condo is empty it's a lot easier to paint now than later. And I know paint is cheap but we have a special circumstance going on and I really don't want to have to redo this later.

I would really love to get my Lighting in there but that's not going to happen. We would have to hire electrician to put in some wall sconces and right now I want to get it painted. The wall sconces are going to have to come later unfortunately. There's a plumbing problem involved too, which is more of a priority at this point in time. You know when you buy a property there's always surprises.

My personal preference on yellows are towards the orange side. While I don't dislike the yellow greens I find they're much harder to live with. With that being said I looked at the Dunn-Edwards color fan and found Pale Rays DE5350.

Pale Rays

LRV87

Hue 4.48 yellow, just slightly on the orange

Value 9.4

Chroma 2.1

I like it but I fear it's going to be way too much yellow because the chroma is 2.1 for Pale Rays, whereas Ivory Charm's chroma was 1.6. So there's a lot more of saturation of yellow going on with the Pale Rays. I guess it could be cut by 50% and that would make for a wider contrast if I wanted to use the next Deeper Shade called Aztec Aura DE5351.

Aztec Aura

LRV 81

Hue 3.6 yellow, on the orange side

Value 9.1

Chroma 3.4

I am really confused on what to do. The other two people who will be living there love yellow. And I'm trying to appease everybody. I love yellow as well but I want to get it right and not screaming bright!

• everdebz
    5 years ago

With a plain indoor rug, if in view, felt like browsing for a pleasant look with railing....

Orian Veranda Indoor/Outdoor Louvre Area Rug, Cream, 5'2"x7'6" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/orian-indoor-outdoor-veranda-louvre-area-rug-cream-52x76-prvw-vr~26832270

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

If it makes you feel any better about wall colour, remember that you'll be furnishing your space - not living in an empty box of wall colour. Whatever "extra" brightness occurs on the wall will probably be appeased by draperies, wall decor, shelves, etc. I've had bright walls in some of my rooms and easily lived with them for years. I love the colours but also, once all the furniture is in, there aren't huge expanses of bare walls shining back at me either.

• shelleyjr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Everdebz,

I am not near done unfortunately. Please read my last two post today. I'm having a meltdown over my paint color.

• shelleyjr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Tartanmeup,

Thank you so much for that insight on furnishings. It does break up the space and it's not just like you're looking at a wall all day long and nothing else. The other problem I'm having is the fact that the original colors are so overpowering it's hard for me to determine what anything is going to look like in there.

Thank goodness my painters going to start on Saturday. He'll be spraying the walls and the crown molding. Then after that he will spray the walls white. Then maybe I can figure out a yellow. I really want a soft butter yellow or buttercream. Not something that's going to be screaming at me.

I'm pretty down right now I think I need to be looking at a yellow wall!

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Don't. Life is too short for a paint meltdown. :) It's too easy to get caught up in the dizzying paint colour choice and feel overwhelmed by all the elements we need to take into account. The outside reflecting in, the light throughout the day, the chroma, the LRV, etc, etc. Yes, it's a big decision. It's the backdrop to everything. It's expensive (with labour especially) and time and effort consuming. Forget all that. Pick the colour you love most and if you worry it's too intense, go one down on the strip. Paint a few boards with those two colours and place them all around your place. Check in throughout the day for a couple of days and pick the one that makes you smile the most when you see it. And don't ever look at any other paint colours for that space ever again. ;-)

Kidding aside, and FWIW (which is nothing) Pale Rays looks a bit too green on my monitor and makes for a sickly pair with your floor whereas the Ivory Charm lives up to its name. :) I think your first choice is a winner. Why are you reconsidering it again? I must have missed that.

ETA: Yes, you'll have a much easier time choosing once the walls are primed. I'm sorry you're feeling down right now.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Has wee bit of yellow -

"Abstract Flowers" Outdoor Throw Pillow by OneBellaCasa, Gray, 18"x18" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/abstract-flowers-outdoor-throw-pillow-by-onebellacasa-gray-18x18-prvw-vr~92943806

• everdebz
    5 years ago

I think it's accurate that in the sunny climates, hotter colors are fitting, cause of the direct angle of the sun, or something.. If you have urban type colors and looks to go with the paint .??

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Much else can be neutral that suits you all....

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Let's hear what accent colors they like - in art or a pillow - possibly could show a good look with softer paint. It might be easier to decorate, in general.

Maybe they're crazy about contrasting black/white art, etc... ??

If you soften the yellow paint maybe even grey/cream pieces ??

In other words, what will be in the room[s]?

• shelleyjr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

What I think caused this whole problem was my accent color of Honey nectar. Because I didn't like it with the ivory charm. Ivory charm is part of the Dunn-Edwards whites it doesn't have other shades to go with it. So trying to pick an accent color in a monochromatic color scheme is hard. There aren't anything that really go that great with it.

Since I couldn't find an accent color that goes with Ivory charm I started looking at other colors that had a range of hues. That's why I looked at the pale rays. But it's got more pigment/chroma.

So at this point I may not do an accent color if I use the ivory charm for the whole condo. I'm just overwhelmed.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

There's nothing wrong with painting the whole condo in the same colour but if you do want a second colour, I think using it in the bath, bedrooms and laundry room makes sense. I'm not sure I'd do accent walls in the kitchen or living room. Really depends on the space and wall configurations.

In any case, I'm sure you can find a second colour to pair with Ivory Charm if you don't like Honey Nectar. (I don't blame you. Honey Nectar looks a bit too saturated for Ivory Charm and just too orange.) No need to discard your first choice because your second colour isn't the best pairing option. Have you considered Ivory Charm and Aztec Aura?

My advice: put aside all thoughts of paint colours for now. Saturday or Sunday, drop in your condo with your paint chips and look at them in natural light with the walls primed. At that point, it'll be much easier to figure out what suits the space best. And if you want, take pics of the kitchen and living room to share here to discuss any potential accent walls.

It feels overwhelming now but you'll figure it out. Don't worry.

• annied75
    5 years ago
    I would use the ivory charm throughout -- no accent. Don't second guess yourself and go with your first selection.
  • shelleyjr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

After looking at Ivory Charm, I am happy with it!

IF I decide to do an accent color here are 2 options.

Crown Point Cream DE5379, LRV 81, Hue 4.49, Value 9.1, Chroma 3.0

Aztec Aura DE5351, LRV 81, Hue 3.6Y, Value 9.1, Chroma 3.4

Of the 2, I am leaning towards Crown Point Cream since it is more towards true yellow.

Comparison

Don't know if I will do an accent wall but might use one of these as a guide for accessories. Any thoughts?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Get your walls done, get your furniture in and a rug and then decide on any accent wall. You might like a wallpaper instead. You will have a nice backdrop to build upon.
  • shelleyjr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Flo,

Great advice thanks! I am leaning towards doing the entire condo in Ivory charm. I think it will make a wonderful backdrop to our gray flooring and charcoal sofa that I want to order.

• Samantha Peruto
    5 years ago

Id love to see a picture of your flooring installed. I am installing Lifeproof vinyl plank in my condo as well (as soon as I can decide on a color!)

• shelleyjr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Samantha,

Our flooring will get installed the 24th and 25th of January. Once it's in I would be happy to post a photo here. Right now my painter is working hard to get that condo painted. The colors are so hideous I have a hard time just going in there. But it will all be pretty in a few weeks!

We got Sterling Oak by LifeProof it is a medium gray. We are on the second floor and the homeowners association required a sound barrier. And this particular flooring met their requirement. So we don't have to put down any other underlayment with it. And by the way you cannot put an additional underlayment with this flooring because it will void the warranty.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

How's the painting coming along, shelleyjr? Have you peeked in yet? Seen it primed at least?

• shelleyjr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The painter is working on the crown moulding, closets, door casings and laundry room. I had additional shelving put in quite a few closets and even in the laundry. He's spraying those high gloss white along with the other things mentioned above. Next he will do the ceiling then walls last. But as soon as he gets done I will post some photos.

He told me because the colors are so dark he's going to do a primer then three coats of paint. He says two coats of the color regular application and then a very quick third coat. He is super meticulous. We have known him for over five years because he lives in the same condo complex as we do. So he's actually a friend of ours and he uses Dunn-Edwards paint. And he is a professional painter.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Sounds good! Looking forward to seeing pics. Hope you love it.

• shelleyjr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here are some sneak previews of Dunn Edwards Ivory Charm DEW323. This guest bedroom only has one coat of color. But I think you'll get a feel of how it is going to look.

I can still see some of the blue paint coming through that was on the walls. The painter knows as well, and will do 2 more coats.

Flooring will get installed Jan 28-29, 2019.

This last one is the living room.

The living room only has one coat of paint as well and I can see some of the bright orange that was underneath. So again another couple of coats and that will look great.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Looking good so far. Thanks for the update.
  • emmarene9
    5 years ago

It looks nice and I hope you are pleased with it.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

That's going to look very nice, I think. Hope you love it!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Hoping some of the "yellow" gets neutralized so you have lots of options for your accessories and furniture pieces! Good backgrounds always please.

• shelleyjr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is what it looks like so far. My painter is so slow. I have now left the condo and I am back home. We plan on going back in March to work on a number of issues like plumbing, electrical and such.

The one thing I can say about the photos is the yellow looks lighter and flooring looks more gray in person.

I have tried to color adjust for how it looks and went back to the original image. It seems if I can get the yellow corrected then the floor looks beige. But if I color correct the floor then the walls looks like a deep yellow and they are not.

My painter, who is a friend of ours loves the yellow walls so much that he is going to paint his bedroom that color. The poor guy suffers from depression. His dad a medical doctor told him to paint his bedroom yellow. He couldn't find a yellow that he liked until he saw DEW 323 Ivory Charm!

This place needs a deep cleaning, so try to over look the nasty windows.

• CLC
    5 years ago

Beautiful! I love the color.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

I happen to love it. :)

• simmtalker
    5 years ago

Well, I love it! It is so very close to the Sherwin Williams Morning Sun I have!!!

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Looking good!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

I used SW Buttery in my biggest home and we loved it. But you have to really love yellow and it seems you and your painter do. It looks pretty and I suspect when you get everything done and in, you will love it even more!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Buttery isn't in their paint deck anymore!

• shelleyjr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think once furniture and art is on the walls it will be a cheery back drop.

My girlfriend was in there one day when I wasn't and she said the sun was coming in that large slider and the whole place just glowed. She loved it.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

That's what I like about yellow walls as well. Tricky to get the right one but once you do, yeah...it glows. :)

• shelleyjr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have to admit I love the whole place painted DEW323 Ivory Charm! I am so glad I didn't use gray in this condo. With the lack of windows it needs as much sun as possible.

My husband loves it too. You walk in and just smile....

The only other thing in life that makes me smile immediately is when I am riding my bike. Maybe my next bike should be yellow! A double whammy of happiness.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Yes!!

• shelleyjr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Someone wanted to see the flooring. Here is a photo of Lifeproof Sterling Oak sample, which was installed in the condo with the yellow walls posted above. The flooring below the sample is in our other property and it is SeaShell by Mannington, (no longer available) but see how much more brown the SeaShell is compared to the Sterling Oak.

What i think is interesting, in my photos above the flooring looks like SeaShell/taupe but it is really more gray/Sterling Oak.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Funny and charming. The only room I personally don’t want yellow in is the bedroom. Too much energy when trying to sleep calmly. I was surprised at your painter’s comment on it.
  • shelleyjr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I had a yellow bedroom as a kid. It was like waking up to sunshine and I loved it.

But I understand it might not be for everyone and the space really makes the difference. I doubt I am going to get that glow effect in the master bedroom there is just not enough light. Wall sconces will help but it is pretty cave like in there.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

I had a yellow bedroom as a kid, Flo. That might explain a few things. :P

• shelleyjr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here are the bathroom lights that the painter will be installing. They actually used these in our condo club house bathrooms. The light is pure white and not yellow looking at all.

Alberson Collection 4-Light Brushed Nickel LED Vanity Light with Frosted Acrylic Shade

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

@shelleyjr would love to see a link to the Russell paint color wheel you mentioned.

• shelleyjr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Lori,

I think I found it on your wonderful website. It is awesome. I use it all the time.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

I thought I was the only one who correlated Munsell Hue Families to hue angles/degrees, lol!

It's called The Color Strategist Color Wheel. A free download is available on this page. https://campchroma.com/color-strategist-color-wheel/

And you have used it well. I love your yellow walls.

Great job!

• shelleyjr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lori,

I think this yellow (DEW323 Ivory Charm) is pretty darn close to true yellow at;

Hue is 5.64 yellow, slightly towards the green side of yellow

Value 9.3

Chroma 1.6

And since your Color Strategist Color Wheel says that 5.0 is dead center on true yellow, this Ivory Charm is about as true as I could find in the yellow colors for DE.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

You are correct.

The number 5 in each hue family marks the point where the highest concentration of the respective hue parent is perceived. That's why all the 5s are marked with a big dot.

Every color - all the colors we like to call neutral, white, grays, blacks - is defined by how much of the hue parent can be perceived.

So, as you move counter clockwise from 5 Y towards the yellow-red hue family, the amount of perceivable yellowness lessens and yellow-red (orangeness) increases. You can see the gradation of hue unit lines on the color wheel.

So the hue family notation tells you the proportion of hue parent that is discernible in a color AND also the proportion of overtone or hue bias from the neighboring hue family.

Important to note - the notations are based on a D65 Illuminant which mimics a relatively balanced quality of light. The quality of light in your space may vary.