SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wiggimama

Need help with family room update - please help me shop and paint!

wiggimama
4 years ago

I’m updating our north-facing family room and am stymied with the process. Suggestions appreciated!

Some context: We are empty-nesters and will likely be in the home, a four over four colonial, for two to four years. The family room is very dark, especially in the summer. We keep the shades down due to close proximity of neighbors, and there is little natural light from the patio doors due to the screened porch and then the forest beyond. I'd like a reading area to the right of the fireplace, presumably lit by the Tiffany-style lamp on the bookcase.

My style: I'm drawn to photos of rooms that are quiet, mono-chromatic, and have a variety of textures. I'd like the room to be transitional in style, welcoming, sophisticated, and tie nicely with adjacent rooms with pieces will easily transition to future home(s).

What’s coming/going: The furniture that I'd like to keep is the sofa, a Natuzzi 6' x 3' taupe brown. The back height is 31”. The coffee table and end table are Ethan Allen and I’m open to replacing. I’d like to replace the blue chairs and existing rug. I'd like a larger rug or carpet area rug (10' or 11' x 14' or “U-shaped” to fit around the hearth) to allow for great flexibility with furniture placement, and allow new chairs to sit partially on the rug. I'd like one chair (swivel or light enough to move easily) in front of the French doors that would accommodate TV viewing on occasion, and one chair (matching?) with an ottoman or a recliner in the corner by the lamp for a reading area. Open to paint ideas in this room and the adjacent living room, but not the hall/kitchen as it goes all through the upper floor without a logical break. The room color is BM Dunsmore Cream.

I will edit the bookcase. Too much going on there.

My thoughts: How does the floor color play into any color palette? How high can chairs be and still be proportional to the sofa? Should the chairs match? (I’m thinking about Lee 1935, one swivel and one stationary with an ottoman.)

Thanks for your suggestions!

Comments (2)