SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
provenance_gw

HELP! White window/door trim,wood floor...what color 2' blinds?

provenance
14 years ago

I found some 2" Basswood blinds that I would like for our house, but wonder what color would work best. I am torn between simple white and walnut (I really like the color). Here is a link to the ones I'm looking at:

http://www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=62371&CatID=64206&GrpTyp=STY&ItemID=13f50ae&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=62371:62923&Fltr=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=7&cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=62371:62923:64206

Or for a little more there is a cherry finish at this link:

http://www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?ItemTyp=C&itemID=14c19df&GrpTyp=STY&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy=0amp;SearchString=basswood+blinds&RefPage=SearchDepartment.aspx&s4PageSize=15&CmCatId=searchresults&Search1Prod=True

We have an open plan downstairs (entry/den/living/dining/kitchen areas open to each other). So I want the blinds/window treatments to work well together. We have hardwood through most of downstairs, but multicolor slate tiles in kitchen and mudroom. All of the window and door trim throughout the house is 5" painted white. Our floors are a medium tone, mix of chestnut and walnut stains. Furniture is darker mission oak for the most part.

So...would you recommend I go with white painted blinds? I'm a little afraid it will look too stark against all the woods/dark tones.

I do want white blinds in mudroom (small room and bench set and cabinet are both black).

If anyone thinks I'm totally off base on wood blinds as window treatments, please let me know! :) Also, is it okay to use blinds but also put simple drapes in front? And what do I do to blend a sliding glass door treatment with blinds on other windows in living room?

I really am having trouble deciding, we've been living so far with uncovered windows and temporary shades on the more important ones. But it's time for me to get SOMETHING! Any advice/suggestions would be welcomed with open arms...

Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: House pictures

Comments (26)