SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
finndian

Pillows selection for a chartreuse sofa.

3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

The two dragon pillows are from HomeGoods and look better close up than further away. The others are photoshopped in. Should I keep looking? Any suggestions?

Comments (166)

• 2 months ago

Late to the party, but…

if highlighting a living wall, I wouldn't use an over the top tropical mural. Too distracting. I like the dark blues (with subtle pictures) posted above with your gorgeous couch. And think would highlight the wall and art.

I think a dark cozy room off a lighter one is great. Most of our bathroom is creamy in color but the shower is dark green subway with a black floor. I love that it gives a cave like feel.

Do you know exactly what art will be hung in the room yet? I would take that into consideration while choosing the mural/ wall color.

Paul F. thanked k8cd
  • 2 months ago

@k8cd Thanks for the input! My intention is to look for a subtle Asian influence wallpaper for one wall... then fly by the seat of my pants with hopefully everyone's help as I try to pick the right color for the 2 walls.... or maybe leave it white!

The ketchup pillow is an April fools joke!

• Related Discussions

How to select leather sofa style and color?

Q

Comments (1)
    Depends what kind of style you like. This is simply a matter of preference and depends on whatever else you have going on in the room. We thought we were saving money by getting the faux leather on the back of our sofa. Saved several hundred dollars. Five years later the leather is wearing beautifully, but the faux leather back is cracking horribly in areas of heavy use. This was an expensive custom wrap around set at a reputable leather furniture store. HTH Brian
    ...See More

Please help with sofa selection

Q

Comments (7)
    Your questions are all on what WE would like and that should not matter in your selection. Your couch has to fit your needs. Personally I do not like a deep couch that I can't rest my back on, but others may like a deep couch if they use it for laying down and reading like so many do. Skirted couches do not seem old fashioned but maybe the one you have your eye on looks too feminine with the skirt and your DH thinks it looks too 'old lady-ish'. Or, maybe he wants a Modern look and not Contemporary and this is the way he is wording it. Firm or Soft?? What do YOU like? That is what matters. Personally I insist on firm because they are easier to get up out of, but I am older and not a fit teenager or a guy. Regarding the Rust color for a couch..........I do not consider it a "neutral" and see a possible clash with mahogany (depending on what other colors and styles are in the room). If DH is worried about a couch being old fashioned or dated looking the Rust color might be what makes certain styles look '70s. Personally, if I had to go out and buy a couch today I would go for a Slate Gray or Charcoal. Still, you can make a Rust color work in any room depending on other elements. I could make a pink and orange room work too, but it would be a lot of work and expense to do it over that way. You say mahogany and beige walls. Is there other furnishings in already or is this really a blank slate? What other furniture, curtains, or art is in place already? What style are you aiming for? Southwestern? Beachy? Victorian? Craftsman? I'm not talking about a theme room, but it's leanings. A rust colored couch may or may not work in certain styles. You mention a mahogany floor but are you going to put down a rug also? You may want to take in the rug considerations when making the couch purchase. If you are looking for a fabric that will wear well with heavy use go for a Bouclé. You say you are going for a couch and loveseat for the family room. Have you considered going with a couch and two chairs instead? This give more room arranging options and would give teenagers and DH 'their own space' when seated.
    ...See More

Help - New Sofa Re-selection ASAP

Q

Comments (4)
    I would add enough seating to be about the same width as the window. I would also add more seating to the left side. The corner wedge you have is fine. When you get the adfitional pieces you may need to adjust the placement of the area rug so at minimum all front feet of sectional are on the rug.
    ...See More

Help with sofa brand/selection

Q

Comments (6)
    Gee, I guess Patricia's comment was pretty bad :/ it was taken down before I could read it..lol. Anyways..I have pretty thick skin. So on to brighter things :) . I do have a flex steel recliner and I do love that brand, it sits very comfortably. There is only one furniture store that carries King Hickory and they usually only have a couple of sofas on their showroom floor so I do plan to check that brand out, thanks for the suggestion pink_peony. The sofa I have does have down wrapped and I do know that I want a firmer cushions with attached backs. The cushion on my current sofa are not and are not very supportive. The sofa has been a good one, it's comfortable for lounging and watching a movie etc but is more for a younger demographic, I need one I can get up off of easily..lol.
    ...See More
  • 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

That looks great, Paul. I love the look with the wallpaper and (reddish ?) wall. I have been thinking - with the chartreuse sofa that I am now hooked on - the “missing link” for me - with the sofa color and yellow/gold walls - might be a plum/eggplant or a red. I was looking at a burgundy chair last night . So for me, I am thinking i could perhaps bring in some type of accents with those colors. So it’s interesting to see how you have incorporated it into your space.

Paul F. thanked freedomplace1
  • 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I‘ve always liked TJ Maxx... so much fun.

• 2 months ago

A dark burgundy wallpaper could be beautiful, if it works with the rug. This is a Cole $ Son paper. Not too busy, but would be dramatic in that sitting area.

Paul F. thanked RedRyder
  • last month

Still working on things. I forgot to post photos of the lamp lit. When dimmed the LEDs go pink.

• last month

Thanks for sharing Paul! The light is so pretty lit up - the pink glow is great - creates a rose gold look. The hanging chain is really pretty with the reflection of the light. Seems like it should be perfect softer mood lighting & that’s hard to find with overhead lights. Those 3 pillows look great on sofa. Love the lemon pot too. It’s fun to be vicariously shopping with you. 😁

Paul F. thanked KW PNW Z8
  • last month

Did Luis escape?😄

Paul F. thanked L.D. Johnson
  • last month

Here's Luis! He's off to be reframed soon. I found this Jonathan Adler throw that I thought was interesting... I photoshopped it in.

• last month
    last modified: last month

That throw is great. I noticed it when you posted yesterday, and it made me start searching for throws with faces! I found some nice ones, but nothing so far quite as unique as the one you are showing. Maybe i need to narrow my search to ‘throw blankets with eyes’.

This is nice, and reminds me a bit of my tabby cat that I had for many years - and then she moved in with an ex of mine for the next 8 years ( better her than me ! 😂 ) Anyway - I had found her in a park in Los Angeles when I lived there and brought her back with me on the plane when I moved back home to NYC.

I love cats. The Ancient Egyptians literally worshipped their cats.

• last month

Just to clarify, because I said that they ”literally” worshipped their cats. It is more complex, as you probably know, Paul. They actually did not literally worship cats... in terms of worshipping cats in the same sense that Gods were worshipped. But cats were held in very, very high regard. Killing a cat would result in death to the one who did it. And cats were seen as potentially being vessels of the Gods. And some of their Gods were depicted as cats, and had cat like qualities attributed to them. Etcetera. :)

These Ancient Egypt wooden cats are in Louvre Museum.

They were cat people. :)

• last month

I worship cats too! Here's my Franklin (Frankie). Amazing you were able to reunite with your cat.

• last month

He is gorgeous.

And yes, I think you really put it right when you mention that I was able to ”reunite” with my cat. Amazing that you said that, Paul, if you mean what I think you mean. I found her in such an interesting way... It definitely seemed fated. That’s why I named her Karma. :)

• last month

• last month

Oooooh. Very interesting!

• last month

I love that so much.

Paul F. thanked john3582
  • last month

Its crazy, right? Almost makes me want to run out and find a perfectly shaped tree. Its probably bronze.

• last month
    last modified: last month

Hmm - that might make a great wall mural design. Starting from behind the sofa then over to wall with glass doors…… would need more something with it but the curvaceous lines of this piece make me think of the Japanese Pine type tree in your mockup mural. This piece might be a nice companion to the ceiling light. Thinking….

• last month

Trees are everything.

Have you thought of a fountain for outdoor space? I saw this and thought of your place. You can run it by your landscape designer (if he’s still around... ;)

Very happy customer in West Palm Beach.

General views:

https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/millwood-pines-zia-resin-curving-shaped-fountain-with-light-w004155828.html?piid=1476665221%2C1605099083

• 22 days ago

My problem is I keep buying things I like and its hard for me to keep a cohesive vision or design. It's HomeGoods' fault.

• 22 days ago
    last modified: 22 days ago

Isn’t that the result of an eclectic style? Not a bad thing & usually the things a person likes are connected in some way so they create a compatible mix. Sadly my nearest Home Goods isn’t too near but I make it there - over the river to OR state - every so often with friends for a shopping day. Fun! So, that mirror - is it as heavy as it looks? @ 16” diameter or larger? Wonder if it’s weather proof in your area - thinking about the wall just outside the doors - they might be ’jungle’ looking once you have that living wall of plants. Would this round frame with its jungle creatures create a window effect in the midst of the greenery & also be light reflecting into the room?

• 22 days ago

I may have to go to home goods tomorrow.

Paul F. thanked john3582
  • 22 days ago

Looks like a companion piece for Luis!

• 22 days ago

I agree with @KW PNW Z8 . If you go with things that you love - there is going be an intrinsic coherence; because you are the one choosing it all, and so it ends up being a reflection of your unique style.

I love this quote:

And I believe this is the case.

Although - I think Bunny Williams has some other design ”rules”, too. But I understand and agree with many of her thoughts.

This is a great interview from some years back:

https://www.stlmag.com/design/The-Doyenne-of-Design-Bunny-Williams/

• 22 days ago

@KW PNW Z8 it is very heavy and about 23 inches across. Interesting Idea putting it on the plant wall. Problem is that the marine influence every morning leaves things soaked so I’m sure the mirroring will start to darken around the edges and flake.
    I think my biggest concern is that if everything is eye popping and interesting it can get tiring or overwhelming and I don’t notice until it’s too late. I think I’m in need of editing… maybe need some heavy duty shelving in my garage rotate out my HomeGoods finds.

• 22 days ago

Bunny Williams also talks about editing - in the article I just posted above . I think we posted at the same time, Paul.

• 22 days ago

Paul - I did wonder about the marine effect - I’ve experienced life close to west coast & so know about that. 23” is larger than I thought - I wondered if it was leaning against back or a side of couch. You mention editing your things. I think I kind of do that because I often move things around just for a different look. I was a collector of things - vintage pottery, vintage California ceramics - things like that. I’m careful about not too much as the cluttered look doesn’t fit my space. I don’t think displays are meant to be static & I like creating vignettes of like items. About the garage shelving - Costco has a great 6 shelf rack on wheels! We have 3 in our garage & I have reserved shelves for my front door seasonal wreath boxes. I may have to negotiate for more space soon.

• 22 days ago

Eye popping.

• 21 days ago

That Temple dog / Foo dog is the cutest one I’ve ever seen! I especially love its coat! I hope you have it in your home!!

• 21 days ago
    last modified: 21 days ago

I do! You are all enablers to my HomeGoods addiction. Haha

@freedomplace1Bunny says it..."(rooms) all need a place the eye can rest. Sometimes I think people forget that."

• 21 days ago

I’m tempted to round up my pals for a lunch & trip to our HG - it’s really not that far & maybe they have that dog there. My home style is Arts & Crafts - Stickley furniture & all but that dog would fit in. You could put him outside the doors looking in at the chartreuse sofa! 😁 He’d be quite cute there looking in & a real conversation piece. We are enablers but we’re shopping HG vicariously through you.

• 21 days ago

@freedomplace1 thanks for sharing that article - loved her thoughts on bookshelves esp,

Paul F. thanked la_la Girl
  • 21 days ago

Thank you, @la_la Girl . I’m glad you enjoyed the article. I like her thoughts regarding the bookshelves, too. Reading that made me feel better about lugging the boxes of books. :) I have some nice, carved elephant bookends, also; i thought about getting rid of them, but I didn’t.

ETA: Also, the magazines. I was thinking - WHY am I holding onto these old magazines? So as nuts as it may be - according to Bunny, maybe not so nuts. Just one box of magazines, fortunately.

• 21 days ago

So many kindred spirits here. I live within an easy walking distance of a Home Goods. If I walk I can't really buy much. If I drive the parking is impossible so I don't go often. Thank goodness for obstacles.

I recently dealt with three different estates. Even when people have downsized it's a big job. I've been going through my own closets and garage storage filled with estate sale treasures that all need work in some way or need a space I don't currently have. I ask myself, "If I have only two more years, will I use this, reupholster this, find a special place in my house for this?" I hope to have a lot more than two years but it does force me to think about what is really special to me. It's hard to say goodbye to a lot of the treasures, but I'm making progress and as Bunny said, editing is good.

Love your style @Paul F. It's my vicarious splurge.

Paul F. thanked tozmo1
  • 21 days ago

I think if someone loves going to Home Goods - or whatever it is - they should enjoy it. It’s a blessing to be able to go to the store! And it’s a blessing to have an enjoyable activity.

The move that I’m in the midst of just really made me realize how much stuff can be accumulated. I was telling a friend of mine - that this (going through stuff, packing, etc., etc.) ”is for the birds.“ And then I had the thought, and I said to him - “The birds don’t go through this!” And he said, ”No they don’t. They travel light.”

• 14 days ago

I'm concentrating on the outside of my house right now but still checking HomeGoods! Couldn't resist trying these tapestry pillows. They are different in that they have different butterflies on each pillow.

• 14 days ago

Paul - those new pillows look great! Love the colors of them with the sofa color & the pattern is pretty nice too

• 14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Those are nice, Paul.

It‘s so funny - when I saw them, I thought I was seeing things, because just yesterday, I found this screen -

and I was very taken with it. I think it’s interesting. I love birds; and it has the black and gold in the birds - plus, the sage that I had originally wanted to incorporate. I like the three panels for the space - but here are the 4 panels.

• 14 days ago

The chair is not facing the right way. But this is what I was envisioning with this screen, in terms of the idea I’ve had for a gold sofa, black chair.

• 14 days ago

Love that. It seems we are on parallel paths of design! Just my opinion with what I'm doing here is that I'm finding that flat black is too harsh. Taking the edge off black by using a charcoal or some other deep dark color seems to pull it together instead of setting it part... in my case pillows. Here are some thoughts.

• 13 days ago

It’s nice to see the chair facing the right way! Thank you.

I like the style and lines of those particular pieces better without pillows. Maybe a throw on either sofa or chair; but not pillows.

I don’t perceive the black chair as being harsh - it relates to the black bird. I might not use pillows (or throw) with any other style of pieces in this mix, either - because the simplicity of the correlation between bird colors and sofa and chair colors imo makes the design. Plus, there is a lot going on with the screen design, colors, etc. And the screen is a standout piece.

But it’s all a matter of taste and perception. There is no generally right or wrong answer. It really comes down to what any given person prefers to see in their space. So I can present the design - but it’s not up to me to police what anyone does with it. And in this case, since it’s a design that i am considering for myself - of course my choices rule. :)

• 13 days ago

I envy your ability to be so decisive with your design choices. I don’t have that at all. I have workshopped almost every decision I’ve made to death… bringing black in definitely killed the Asian vibe here though. As for pillows, they are not really just design for me they are for comfort. My lower back needs a bolster if I’m actually gonna sit for any length of time. I found these pillows and they are beaded so I know they’re going to be pretty trashed quickly if I try to use them although for $20 they’re pretty great.

• 13 days ago

Those are nice. Ive been looking at leopard pillows, too! I almost bought a leopard pillow cover the other day.

I don’t see that screen as particularly “Asian” - and I wasn’t going for an Asian style. But if you look at Asian design type spaces, you will often see some Black. And there are also Feng Shui connections with this. But yes, it’s a powerful color.

• 13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

I'm talking about my space when I say Asian. I don't see yours as overtly so. However, it is a Chinoiserie style screen which is east Asian inspired and it has a misty affect to it so I mentioned it. I wish I'd taken some pics of the flat matte black in the room. It was very graphic and with all my tattoo inspiration design goals it was harsh I'd say, taking it to a literal tattoo design and I want the misty asian mural vibe. The Shou Sugi ban burned wood is literally charcoal color... black with a white haze. Perfect. And in this case, since it’s a design that i am considering for myself - of course my choices rule. :) Haha

• 13 days ago

Touche. :)

Black is a powerful color, and also according to Feng Shui should be used wisely. And some people feel more comfortable with black than others, etc. And of course people should not use black if they are not comfortable with it! But there is a lot of power in the color. And it is specified in Feng Shui that if it is used in a space, it should be a ”pure black” not a derivative thereof. You are not going to see a lot of Asian style spaces featuring grey - at least not a predominance of grey. It is basically a watered down black.

• 13 days ago

I love black... my favor thing is a new black t-shirt. But these two stone HomeGoods finds are as about as black as I think I can go in that particular room.

• 13 days ago

Those are beautiful. And the round shaped one is auspicious, from Feng Shui perspective. Some interesting insights here:

https://www.architecturaldigest.in/story/feng-shui-4-ways-to-use-the-colour-black-to-invite-wealth-into-your-home/

There is a belief among many designers/decorators that every room could use a touch of black. Doesn’t have to be a lot of it.

• 13 days ago

Mind you - I am not trying to encourage you to use black in your space, Paul. Just because I plan on a black chair, and a black and gold scheme, doesn't mean that everyone should do this! :)

And I know I suggested black walls to you in the past, and i can definitely understand how anyone might shy away from black walls. It’s not for everyone, obviously - nor should it be. I only suggested it, because you had posted a rendering with deep blue walls, and i thought that if you were to go dark and moody, black walls would be great with your sofa color and style. Blue would take you in another direction - which i wasn't sure you wanted to go that way - especially since this was the very first pillow you posted here in this discussion.

But after enough people here discouraged you from that direction - you finally ended up with the round, light blue ones. And they are nice pillows.

There was a time when I, myself, was not interested in having a lot of black in my spaces. At one point, i had a place where all the decor was done in shades of white. I loved it. And a neighbor who lived in that building, in an apartment downstairs, said to me, “You always wear black, and everything in your place is white!“ And this was true. He was the opposite of me - as far as decor. He had a predominance of black in his space! It was elegant. Not my thing at the time, but the place was nice. He had a beautiful Oriental type rug - black on ivory background. Beautiful black sofa, etc. He had great taste. And it was nice that he said that he really liked my place - and I liked his, too! And it was also interesting to see how he had decorated it, because our apartments were on the same line, and we had the exact same layout. Plus, he had his furniture arranged exactly like mine, too! Same sofa placement, etc.

• 13 days ago

I almost posted that pillow again as an example of what I would not buy now after my many experiments with different colors. I love the imagery in the pillow and might use it elsewhere but not in that room since misty and delicate seems to get ruined by jet black.

I think I need to define what I'm calling black and what I'm calling gray. These accessories I have below and even the stone in the floor I'm perceiving as shades of grey. Most rooms I see that are being called black are charcoal gray. That jet black, a light absorbing matte black likely the black on that $400 pillow you reposted is so eye catching... and since I worked at Nickelodeon for so long, so reminiscent of the black line of animation.

As an aside, the more flowing, the longer the unbroken the jet black line the higher the animation artist was thought of. So interesting to have seen that amazing artistic talent was handed out to a broad spectrum of people with seemingly IQs maybe as low as 75 to brilliant at 140, all in the same room able to draw equally as well. I guess I should have known but it was an eye opener to see up close. It's a harsh reality for those that made it their whole world and source of income now seeing AI come along and threaten all that. Try the new voice chatGPT and tell it to render something crazy for you. It's really is amazing.