SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

need some help picking out dishes please!

vacuumfreak
15 years ago

I've often said if you can't plug it in or turn it on, I don't want to shop for it. I can't stand shopping for clothes, dishes, or jewelery... they all bore me to tears. But, the time has come for me to get new dishes.

The dishes I have now are from a very cheap set that a co-worker bought me when I first moved into my apartment. I was grateful at the time because I didn't have anything for the kitchen and I didn't have much money after just having moved. Well, they are ugly, and they have warped in the dishwasher. Being as clusmy as I am, I've droped and broken a few of them. The bowls are too shallow, and I just don't like them. It's time to get something I'm happy with!

I'm thinking I need to buy a set, because I want the bowls, dinner plates, and dessert plates to match. I have a set of 8 now, and quite often, I'm out of clean dishes and have to run the dishwasher even though it isn't full... apparently I need more than 8 of each kind of dish.

I don't even have a table in my small apartment, and I don't entertain. I may have one friend at a time over and if we eat something I made, we bring the plates to the living room. The dishes are just to please me, not to show off. I may want to post a picture on the what's for dinner thread every now and then (my cheap dishes and cheap camera are my excuse for not doing it now).

The thing is I don't see anything that I absolutely love in the stores. I've checked, Belk, JC Penny, Wal-mart, and Target. I want to try Kohls as well. I really don't know what I'm looking for. I want the dishes to be nice, but I don't want them to take away from the food... I want them to be a canvas for the food, not the "show stealer". I don't want the bowls to be so shallow that they don't hold anything, but I don't want to them to take up too much room in the dishwasher either. I've noticed a trend toward square dishes lately... they intrigue me, but they just seem wrong for some reason!

It's so complicated, but I don't want to settle. Picking the right shape, size, color, and weight seems very hard! Do any of you have any suggestions? Should I be looking at a different store than the ones I named? I'm tending to gravitate toward plain dishes or light pastels, and I like swirl patterns as well. I don't want just plain white, but nothing too ornate either.

I know some of you are really into dishes, so I'd appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks :o)

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer