SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennyb5149

Will you help me pick out some water lilies?

jennyb5149
13 years ago

Hi everyone!

Once again I'm going to defer to the experience of the wonderful ponders on this site.

I'm finally ready to add water lilies to my new pond but really have no clue where to start.

I've read that some lilies can spread up to 6 feet across! My pond is not that huge! Maybe 8 x 10 with the rock shelves (I remodeled my pond this year to make the shelves around the border wider and deeper per cliff and joann's suggestion).

I'd like to have at least 2 varieties of lilies for color variation but am not sure what to pick. I don't want my lilies to overtake the pond and completely cover the surface area. It would be nice to see the fish I'm going to add also.

My pond is in partial shade in the mornings and gets the full southwestern sun from about 11 am to 5 pm right now which will probably increase as the days get longer.

I'm also thinking a tropical night blooming lily would be nice as I work days and would like to see the blooms once in awhile. I realize that where I live in zone 3b I'd probably have to treat it as an annual unless I bring it indoors in the winter. But, I will defer to the advice of more experienced ponders here if it is a totally ridiculous idea.

Any suggestions and/or advice would be REALLY appreciated!

Thanks for your time and patience with all my questions!

Jenny

Comments (10)