SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_slamm

Sometimes the best laid plans - we had a little storm in Maine

agmss15
4 months ago

Somewhere between 2-6 inches of rain and 40-60 mph heavy wind gusts. Wide spread flooding and outages. Trees down everywhere. Bridges closed all over. Several friends had trees land on or near their homes. Or had their homes flooded. My SBIL had his car totaled by a piece of the school roof when picking up his son.

I have been inconvenienced and cranky but very lucky. My powers has been off for 4 days - just back on in the last hour. I have wood heat. I can cook outside but not in without electricity. No running water.

So my plans for baking gifts were set way back. Tonight I will clean my kitchen and try to winnow down my plans. And start tomorrow. I had planned to make about 6-8 kinds of cookies, Cointreau chocolate truffles, candied citrus slices…. I also usually make focaccia. I have two main family gatherings I attend - one on Christmas eve and the other on Christmas day. Plus a few small gatherings with friends.

I am thinking of trying to make 3 kinds of cookies - biscotti, tortas de aceite, walnut shortbread (meltaways). Possibly chocolate chip for kiddos. Still trying the truffles. And maybe the orange slices. I had imagined a lot of citrus flavor notes. Mostly I want to make something nice without getting too frazzled.

Note: The first photo is the Kennebec River in Skowhegan - the local town where I do most shopping. The second is the seasonal stream near my house well over it’s banks - usually a trickle this time of year.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH