SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blue222q

Struggling with main floor plan--any ideas?

blue222q
8 years ago

I used the Home Forums extensively when remodeling a home 10 years ago, and am now back with a bigger project! I've been reading lots of posts and am ready to share a draft floor plan for your critique.

Our lot is small and very steep, requiring a complete custom design. We'd like the heated/cooled size to be 3700-3900 sf. We will have at least one lower level and want an "aging-in-place" design, thus the elevator. The lower level (about 1300 sf) will have a social room, guest room, exercise room, art studio, and 2 full bathrooms. That leaves about 2500 sf for the main floor.

The basic house footprint is fairly fixed. The garage must be on the right, but the left (east) side is more open and has a better view. That's why we ended up with the screened deck and living area on the left, bedroom on the right, and kitchen in the middle. Putting the kitchen on the left is possible, but it's a longer walk from the garage.

My husband and I want separate offices, which is a bit out of the ordinary, but I can't think of another place to put my computer desk. Right now it's in our kitchen (a built-in unit), and I don't like having to look at it when messy.

We are working with an architect, but it's been a rocky start. Placement of the stairs has been difficult, since we want them opening in the middle/back of the house (the front will be unfinished). Although the current stairwell is enclosed at the top, I think a window and some open railings near the bottom will help lighten it up.

Any comments on the layout, room sizes or anything else? We're starting to feel some pressure to progress to the "tweaking" stage, but want to make sure we haven't overlooked anything relating to the basic plan.

Comments (37)