SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tyjy_gw

We Had/Have? A Dream! Floorplan Advice Needed!

tyjy
13 years ago

(We had a dream that May of 2010 ground would be broken and our home building would be well underway... funny how reality hits one square in the nose sometimes... )

After a most recent wake up call concerning our current interior space design (THANK YOU bigkahuna!) I need help so bad! I am HOPING someone here will look at this floor plan and help me figure out a way to make it a lot better. Primarily the space inside the front entrance to the right ("right" on the floor plan, NOT the Right Elevation) where the master bedroom/bathroom is, and also the stairway which I know needs to be wider and even deeper w/a landing versus that winder style. I'd love advice on the whole interior though!

We've already thought of some ideas BUT I am SO technology handicapped (THANK YOU macv for the instructions how to upload jpg pix) I just don't know how to make changes using software recommendations. I've spent the last week trying SketchUp and have also downloaded the free trial of Home Design Pro, but, alas, just can't figure out how to draw a "Y" shape that means anything : ( And if I just knew how to work on it flat, not even 3D yet, I'd be happy! Right now we're drawing manually on paper, crumpling that up, drawing again, and on and on it goes!

Here's the current plan for the inside: (the stairs head DOWNward from the front door. There is no attic space):

OBJECTIVE: We want to build a cozy, river view, Y-shaped, low to the ground, 4:12 pitched roof, FLW prairie/usonian style vacation home that is REALLY site specific. The front, left, rear and right sides of the footprint is as far out as it can be (due to slope, gulley, cliff!). The only wall that could be bumped out for more living space is on the master bedroom front facing end wall (not the patio door side) that we could extend about 4 feet more. (that's where the plan improvement is needed the most too)

I might add, there are definite changes we're already contemplating: the kitchen layout for one, we'd prefer an island (parallel to the sink) vs. that U-shape w/breakfast bar section.

Here's the current elevation plans:

This is the Front Entrance (inside the Y shape). The roof over the front porch is not depicted accurately and those stone corners are NOT pillars, they're just a stone facing going around each corner (I don't particular like this though):

This is the Rear (best view of the Mississippi River!)Notice towards the left side of the picture, that end patio door is actually way around off the master bedroom. Like I said, it's hard to see a flat picture of a Y-shaped home:

This is the Left Elevation(2nd bedroom side), now the right side looks odd because of the Y:

This is the Right Elevation(master bedroom side):

The exterior plan (which realize is hard to visualize that it's actually Y-shaped) shows stone facing on the corners only and I'd really rather whole walls or at least much more stone be used than just the corners (not necessarily that horizontal band of stone though as depicted on many prairie style homes).

The railing on the deck we'd rather use a cable rail type system as that's the direction of the best view of the river.

Lastly, on that master bedroom end wall (that's potentially bumped out) I may want to have a higher placed horizontal window bank vs the normal casement height one shown on the existing plan here (just so a bed won't possibly obstruct a window).

So folks, this is my dilemma : (

I would sincerely appreciate whatever help you'd be able to provide me.

THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!

Comments (6)