SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lunarocket34

Need Advice on New Home Floor Plan

DH and I are building a "kit" ranch house on the part of our farm land nearest the trees. It is an L shape with the very small bump out in the front (short leg of the L) for the likely, hardly used by guests, 2nd and 3rd bedrooms. (one of those I will use for my sewing room.) It's post frame construction so the interior walls can go anywhere. There is a 3 car attached garage. The house will have a crawl space.

The black walls in the floor plan are fixed, this is the footprint including the walls between the small bedrooms and the main house. WIndows and doors cannot cross the red squares inside those walls as they are the posts. And this is also the size and number of windows and doors allowed.

We are building the shell ourselves this year with help from a friend or two. So I've got time to get the floor plan finalized as not much more can be done till the house we're living in sells, if it sells.

Below is the current plan, I have the previous one in an ideabook but the 2 baths and master closet were definite disasters. Also in that plan tit had a separate "canning room" that DH wanted mainly because we need a 2nd stove for finishing the maple syrup in the spring. (Otherwise the inevitable boil overs have made a mess of my kitchen stove. DH does not clean up.) But it takes up a lot of space with redundant counters, etc. (In another prior plan it was in the back and also functioned as a mud room and entrance for my 2 usually muddy labrador retrievers.)

Ranch Floor Plan · More Info

It's just the 2 of us and the dogs, hardly any over night visitors except at Christmas. Most of the furniture displayed is to scale and we already own it, except for those side tables in the LR. The custom dining set exists as well though barely used. (DH has said the LR furniture could be changed out).

The view is out the back.

Incidentally, we live in the sticks, amongst other farms, in the still fairly empty northeast part of Michigan's lower peninsula. We're aiming for comfortable and simple but with a few really nice features (like a soaking tub!)

A couple nice folks over on the kitchen design forum suggested I come over here to see what you had to say.

Thanks for your consideration.

Comments (62)