SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

The best laid plans . . . (long)

l pinkmountain
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I thought I would report back on how my tea went. It's a prime example of why, after all these years, I still need to come here for advice, AND, why I am not, overall, in the grand scheme of things, a good cook, and particularly not a good baker. Do I have my moments of sublime greatness, yes. And other than a few exceptions, I am a soup savant. But when it comes to the big picture, I am too impatient, too adventurous without knowing when to quit, and my my creativity, while responsible for some great victories, more often than not leads me terribly astray!

So I decided to make something with ingredients I already had on hand, to use them up since some of the things I have I will never use up unless I get around to entertaining more. I had some ginger brandy soaked pears that had been languishing around for about four years, and I wanted to use up the brandy, so I decided to use the pears. MAJOR MISTAKE! I should have tasted the pears, but I did not. I should have not used canned pears in a recipe for pear cake. I had done it once before without a problem, but I couldn't use that old recipe so used a new recipe. I know, don't try out new recipes at a time like this, but I forged on ahead. And wanting to kill several birds with one stone, I tried out mom's old springform pan, which was 1 inch smaller than the recipe called for. I knew that the cake might take longer to bake, so I compensated. Oh, and I didn't realize I had no brown sugar in the house until after I just got back from the grocery and was ready to make the cake. No turning back!

So I figured without brown sugar, I could throw a little molasses into the recipe and use white sugar for all the sugar. Which I did. So far, so good. Then I realized that the plastic container of yogurt I had brought from home to use in mom's kitchen, was really some leftover cooked white beans. I was already taking a walk on the wild side by planning on using yogurt instead of the buttermilk the recipe called for. But no problem, I had some sour cream! The cake is almost ready to go in the pan, I just needed to chop and add the pears, which I did. But before I stirred them into the batter, I tasted one. Yes, I know, not good timing. WHOA!! No pear or ginger taste whatsoever, but tasting of the most acrid cheap brandy and cheap vodka which I used to make the liqueur. So I threw in a lot more sugar to counteract that taste. Put it in the oven and hoped for the best.

An hour later, it came out mostly like pear pudding, without much taste. I carved out the mushy center, passed it off as a bundt cake, and served it. It didn't have good texture AT ALL, and was barely passable as far as taste. I had a slice for breakfast and I think the rest is going in the trash. The tea went OK though, the rest of the stuff was OK, and the big hit of the day was spinach dip dolloped into those pre-prepared phyllo cups and topped with a water chestnut slice. The point of the tea was not to show off my culinary skills so it didn't bother anyone and I'm not losing sleep over it either, I enjoyed the tea. But it is a bit of a shame. I could have bought a bundt cake at the bakery at the grocery store and saved myself a lot of hassle and it would have been better! Below are photos from the tea. It all LOOKED good! (I don't know why the photos show up sideways when I insert them, since I edited them and they are not like that when I open them in the photo editing program.)

On the plus side, it also reminded me of how much I am just like my mom. She was no baker either, did mostly boxed mixes or store bought stuff. She could afford to buy the good stuff, so she did.

Comments (11)