SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jehanne_hansen

peanut butter too oily?

claudia valentine
6 months ago

I have been buying the peanut butter with no added anything for decades. But, lately I have noticed that there seems to be an awful lot of oil in the jars.

I dont remember this used to be. Sometimes the natural peanut butter was almost too dry and thick.

Does anyone remember the time when even an ordinary grocery chain such as Safeway had a machine that made fresh ground peanut butter? That must have been maybe about the late 80s and the early 90s.

But now when I buy it, I find that there is so much oil in it that I actaully looked to see if I could determine if there was actually more oil being added to it. But, I cant find evidence. But, I know that this was not the way it used to be.

Of course, I pour off the oil that has pooled on top and I will use that in cooking. But, there is still sometimes so much oil that the p butter could almost be poured from the jar!

After pouring off what oil is on top, what I have found works well to remove more oil from the rest of the jar is to take a paper towel or sturdy paper napkin, wad or fold it up and lay it on top to the p butter iin the jar. The paper will absorb an awful lot of the oil . You may lose a bit of p butter, but not a very significant amount. It takes about a day and if there is stil more than I want , I do it a second time.

I love p butter and use it quite a bit in cooking also. I dont remember it being so oily that it is pourable. I went back to buying some from the natural food co op and I found that it had the same over saturation with oil as the one from the local grocery chain.

I know for a fact that this was not something that I would encounter so much in days past. Maybe once in a while I would pour off the oil, but most times I would work the oil in because, if not, the rest of p butter could be chokingly dry. I know that this is a different experinece from that of the past.

Anyone else notice this?

That is good oil to save from teh oil that pools on top . At first, I tried turning the jar upside down so as to encourage the oil to redistribute. But, it is just too much oil, no matter.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County