SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valeskofoster

critique my "peanut butter and jelly sandwich" floorplan

Foster
7 years ago

Hello all. I have been lurking for several months, but this is my first time posting.

Here is my situation: I live in upstate NY with my husband, 4 yo daughter, and 1 yo son. We own a 1500 sq ft house (built in 1880) that I like very much and is comfortable for our family. The problem is that my husband commutes over an hour to work in Ithaca and we intend to move closer.

Our budget is $200,000. Our current house is worth $110,000. Where we are 200,000 can buy a lot of house. In Ithaca area, not so much. We've been looking for almost a year and the only houses we have found within our budget are too small or need so much work that they would be significantly over budget once the work is done. There are building lots to be had; I currently have my eye on a few 1 acre wooded lots that are about $30,000. And I have been dreaming of my ideal house within a very tight budget. Can it be done? Probably not. But it has been fun imagining and learning an awful lot about architecture as I go.

So my ideal house is a folk colonial that looks like it was built in the late 1800's but has been very well updated since then. This is a style that is very common in the area. I would like it on a wooded, south facing, flat lot. I don't mind builder's grade with appliances, bathrooms, and cabinets. I do want wide molding around all doors and windows. Also crown molding in the living room and dining room. I would try to incorporate some old doors and hardware to give the house some older character. I am intrigued by bamboo flooring, it's pretty and less expensive per square foot that carpet.

I started with and exterior (happened to be saltbox) then as I worked with the interior, the exterior changed... and I think it's to a point that I like. It's bigger than I wanted (almost 2000 sq ft). There is a lot of hallway and the rooms are smaller than I would like. I did this because I thought the trade off was worth it to have sight lines between windows and have a circular path through the downstairs.

Oh, also I love Connor homes, but they are way out of my budget.

This is a long post, sorry. Here are the pictures. I apologize for them looking as though they were drawn by a 10 year old. Also, I know I need to hire a person of design talent; this is just for fun.

Comments (11)