Changing older books for political correctness--your opinion
3 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (20)
Related Discussions
Polarized politics and passive aggression ...
Comments (72)I wanted to see if people would be offended by a comment about someone from the left being accused of not having a mind of their own and only using talking points from a left wing media person. I wanted to see if anyone would be flabbergasted that a lefty could be annoying at a party with his politics. I wanted to see if I could use the name Rachel Maddow in any form and not get attacked when it was perfectly acceptable for others to use Rush in derogatory insinuations. And what you found out, jterrilynn, is that the only part of your story anyone here took offense to was the derogatory name-calling you chose to employ that Rush Limbaugh is so famous for. If you had just used her given name, people would have read it and moved on....See MoreMixing modern bathroom with traditional/eclectic older home
Comments (9)Very interesting feedback. I didn't mention in my first post but the wall tile in the bathroom will be porcelain but will have the "look" of marble. It is a fairly gentle pattern but because of the "marble", I think that will help with toning down the "modern" a bit. I also like Joanne's suggestion about using wood. I think I can do something with my choice of flooring that can make the floor be a moderating factor as she suggests. trailrunner: - I think your comments have convinced me to go with asian rugs. I've been struggling with this and thinking about going with more contemporary rugs but seems like the rugs are a good way to add the traditional element leaving some room to do contemporary/eclectic with the furnishings. I may even look for an "asian" bathmat for the bathroom. I bet they exist somewhere. I also think besides going with wood or wood look on the floor in bathroom, there will be a rather tall floating cabinet against one wall -- I had been looking at Ikea for this but this would be a good opportunity to bring in something less modern. So the main modern elements will be the floating fixtures and floating vanity (sink will be drop in) with a less modern floor and cabinet. I may pay particular attention to the sconces on each side of the medicine cabinet. I can see how accessories can make a huge difference. Thanks everyone! I have hope it won't be a freakish experience for a visitor to walk from the main part of house into the hall bath....See MoreChange for the sake of CHANGE?
Comments (14)Yep, Yaya (have you read the Yaya Sisterhood book?) you are right, and when he lashes out it really frustrates me. I understand his reasons for it, but it still is unsettling. The fact he is hard of hearing, has bad knees and cannot do much construction work anymore, also depresses him. I've tried to get as much into this remodel to keep him from even trying to do the work himself. His poor knees cannot take hours on ladders, or hours putting in flooring. He once did ALL the work for additions or improvements but these days no way. I think that is part of his problem too. Of course, he wants to do it the OLD way, which is not up to the stringent code now in place for hurricane zones. So our disagreements about the ways they do things NOW contrary to the OLD FASHIONED way, or the way they did things up in MA which has different requirements (no worry for carrying heavy snow loads here, at all), puts him out of his element. We are not cutting many corners at all, with quality of flooring or roofing or strength of lumber and such as that. Even though we are OLDER PEOPLE, and should not worry too much about definition of "lifetime warranty" that is something he expects. I suppose that is why he insisted the cabinets be custom and wood, instead of the IKEA much less expensive kitchens. I figured that even 10-15 years from now, or not long thereafter, this kitchen would seem OLD to a buyer (more than likely a buyer would consider this a starter home) and they'd want to do some "updating" of the kitchen anyway. I know we updated appliances in our river house that Katrina destroyed, and that kitchen had been redone 10 years before. Steph, I think you make many good points, I like light floors too, which is why we have the ash hardwood going in. And, the new lighting fixtures will be super easy to deal with. I'm not going to keep big closets filled with anything stuck back for a rainy day if I can help it. Or shopworn chairs either--although he has 4 windsor chairs, and he takes pride in those. Somehow I'll have to find a place for them....and NOT at the dining table or in the living room! Right now I'm thinking about the Shaker style of hanging chairs on the wall out of the way. They would do okay in my Teahouse, up about 10 feet on a traditional Shaker "chair rail." with pegs for securing them up high. Hmmm, sort of lends new meaning to the term "chair rail" doesn't it! When I painted and decorated his MA cape, I took great delight in the house. I thought I was making it a traditional and pretty place like other capes. However, everybody who saw it said, "Oh, it is so SOUTHERN." I guess they were right. I believe the structure a lot similar to the cajun style and raised creole cottages of the south and the bayou. Both are charming homes to live in. Anyway, I must add that today he is more amenable to the work in progress. We've had a few days of respite from the work. The old roof, which is so bad it was crumbling beneath the feet of the carpenters, is to be removed tomorrow and the stickyback underlayment is to be laid down. The chimney will be refurbished with copper cap and flashing, new vents and turbines. He was much concerned about the dilapidated state of those crumbling shingles. As soon as GAF delivers our ultra high definition architectural shingles, maybe Thursday or Friday, we shall present a new face to the street. Namely a color called SLATE which has some green in it, and dark enough not to stain easily. The imminent install of the new roof has brightened his outlook considerably. And now I'm going to go read the last 150 pages of COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO. What a book!...See More"Lady" Deemed Politically Incorrect
Comments (39)He's telling her, "YOU ain't no lady." (Isn't this proof that a real lady IS admired?) No. It may be true that no women are admired, or respected, in this case. If I say I don't like Hersey's kisses, it could be incorrect to claim that I must then like some other candy. Maybe I don't like any sweets. ------------------- What I find disheartening is how people feel they need to thank me profusely for extending the simplest and quickest of kindnesses. As if it is so rare an occurrence that they cannot believe someone would actually take the 5-10 seconds required to hold the door for them. A few days before Thanksgiving, I helped a woman dig out the size of turkey she wanted to purchase from the huge Costco pile. The entire task took less than two minutes, I bet. She thanked me; then thanked me a happy Thanksgiving again during each of the two other times we passed later as we continued our shopping. I begin to feel uncomfortable/embarrassed when the thanks extends well longer than the task took! Has it really become rare for people to help others reach high items, or to place a heavy box into the cart, for someone? However, in the opposite perversion, if you let someone with only a few items check out ahead of you, often they don't even bother to say thank you. Maybe it all averages out. ;) But I cannot say I understand the reason for the odd disparity. --(Sorry about the deleted post fragment. Houzz sometimes posts while I type, even though the submit button hasn't been clicked.)...See More- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
Related Stories

BOOKSCan Tidying Up Result in Life-Changing Magic?
Organizing phenom Marie Kondo promises big results — if you embrace enormous changes and tough choices
Full Story
FURNITUREMeet the Quick-Change Artists of Interior Design
Are you missing a great little stool, ottoman or bench? Just look at the ways they can adapt to what you need now
Full Story
ORGANIZING‘New Minimalism’ Book Offers Fresh Ideas for Decluttering
Professional declutterers share smart ideas for simplifying your stuff for intentional living
Full Story
LIFEHow to Make Your House a Haven Without Changing a Thing
Hung up on 'perfect' aesthetics? You may be missing out on what gives a home real meaning
Full Story
MOST POPULARThe Polite House: On ‘No Shoes’ Rules and Breaking Up With Contractors
Emily Post’s great-great-granddaughter gives us advice on no-shoes policies and how to graciously decline a contractor’s bid
Full Story
THE POLITE HOUSEThe Polite House: How to Handle a Grievance With a Neighbor and an HOA
A condo resident complains about noise from a toddler out with her mom on a 7 a.m. dog walk. Does the mother have any recourse?
Full Story
LIFEThe Polite House: On Dogs at House Parties and Working With Relatives
Emily Post’s great-great-granddaughter gives advice on having dogs at parties and handling a family member’s offer to help with projects
Full Story
LIFEStop the Toy Takeover by Changing the Way You Think
Make over your approach and get gift givers onboard with your decluttering efforts by providing meaningful toy alternatives
Full Story
LIFE'Not My Precious Books!' — Pain-Free Ways to Declutter Your Library
Have your books and neatness too, with these ideas for paring down and straightening up a beloved collection
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESDesign Debate: Should You Use Books for Decoration?
Color blocking, books by the yard, blank covers — is all fair in love and decor?
Full StorySponsored
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
vee_new