SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
golddust

I am trying to be polite but... (long)

golddust
14 years ago

I am fuming! My DS who is 17 months older than I am, is a widow. It was a May December marriage. Now she is dating someone that she is swooning over. "Mike" is a radical, who appears obsessed with politics. We do not agree on anything political but that is really OK with me. But he won't leave me alone.

What has me fuming is that he is spamming my inbox with what I believe to be hate mail and low informed fear mongering information that isn't fact based at all. Even racist stuff! I'm concerned about my sister because she appears so gullible. She began forwarding some of the crap email that he sends to her to me and other friends that we both know.

I actually spent time refuting one very racist email (against Muslims) she forwarded to her list. I replied to all, admonishing her for spreading "hate mail" and begged her to *think* for herself. I was thanked for stepping up via private email from others on her list and even received a phone call from someone who is also concerned. Well, DS apologized to all for sending out this email, saying that she "just gets overwhelmed by her email." (What??? There is a button called delete!!)

It's like anything "mike" says or thinks is just fine and she is seemingly losing her ability to think the way we were raised to think. Love thy neighbor, etc. These email forwards have long, long lines of where this email has been and Mike's email address is at the top. SPAM!

Today I received 5 more emails, all fear mongering and without any real sources to even check to see if what these emails claim are even true. I pointed that out and asked Mike not to send me any information that wouldn't hold up in court.

DS has been dating "Mike" for two years. I don't want to make him an enemy as DS is *really* smitten by this man. I don't know what to do. Mike's emails are really trash. IMO, the information contained is very low informed ignorance. I've told him so. Some of it is hysterical hypocrisy.

I'm fuming at the idea that my sister is even attracted to someone like this. I'm worried he will suck her brain out but I resent the time I am taking to point out the flaws in the information he/now she, is passing around so she will (at least) maintain some ability to think for herself.

What would you do? I love my sister and can't help but worry.

Comments (24)