SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Change for the sake of CHANGE?

User
9 years ago

My DH does not like CHANGE. I deal with CHANGE.

Me, I do not do things the same way every day, do not do my laundry on the same day but when I have a load ready to wash or need something that is dirty. I do not always have fish on Friday, or baked beans/hotdogs on Saturday, or fried chicken on Sunday. Nor mac and cheese on Wednesday...you get the picture. There are too many things I like to limit myself to a boring litany of same old same old week after week. I consider VARIETY is energizing and stimulating.

He finds CHANGE (any change) unsettling, I fear. He is distressed at changes wrought in our dwelling by the extensive remodel now underway, even though these plans have been in place for two years, and he told me IT IS YOUR PROJECT I AM KEEPING OUT OF THIS.

My DH always did the construction work but is now too old to do the work. He must feel (in my humble opinion) he has no control. He is definitely a control freak, and has been IN CONTROL all during his working career. He is I would say "elderly" as am I. I've made changes to the plan, and to the intended use of space according to his wishes and advice.

The topic came up at the dinner table during Thanksgiving Day dinner which he prepared in our very limited kitchen facilities without my interference. I stayed out of the way, since he wants no talking, no visiting, no one in his way. He does not "play well with others". There was a lot of cussing and banging and clattering of pots and dishes and utinsels, but I kept quiet and out of the way. Sigh....

I am afraid that the much larger new kitchen with its separate areas for cooking and prep and such might not make a difference in his attitude. I envisioned us having space to work side by side, share the time pleasantly, share the space. I thought, he just needs a kitchen with "room for two."

I bought some lights on sale at Lowes to replace 4 ceiling fixtures in the house. All were alike. I must put them together. They will replace dining room and living room fixtures without moving the electrical. Dining room light currently has a short in it, which keeps blowing bulbs.Previously he removed the wall switch due to faulty wiring in the wall, and we have a pull chain for ceiling fan and its light. The room is dark even with two windows, because there is no other light at night. The living room, in line with this dining room light, is an old ceiling fan which is builder basic and is very flimsy. I have the opportunity to make both fixtures contribute to a cohesive look. The other 2 fixtures will replace the fixture in the master bedroom ceiling, and in the ceiling of the new master sitting space. This will LINK the two spaces which are separated by a 90 inch wide opening, with a beam across that opening. Each fixture on sale cost $20 approximately. A "semi-flush" mount which comes down about 15 inches from ceiling to bottom of the fixture and will work in our 8'2" ceiling height. They are white. He hasn't even seem them, except for the 4 boxes.

I planned on IKEA cabinets modified as we needed, but really inexpensive. He wanted wooden and custom, so that was a big chunk of the budget. We both liked Silestone 'Stellar Snow' countertops. I have stainless 3 foot wide countertops planned either side of the gas range. I like that, not negotiable. I like lots of light, natural by day, adjustable at night.

His problem is with REPLACING ANYTHING THAT EXISTS. He says I'm "CHANGING JUST TO BE CHANGING." How shall I deal with this? Have YOU dealt with such issues?

I want to hear what you think about leaving the old lighting, specifically, but also seek your opinion on the advisability of updating different features at the time of our remodel. The plan calls for updating our wiring, updating our plumbing, replacing cabinets, adding new hardwood floors (and thus new baseboards), keeping existing appliances (I won't say "old" appliances because they were bought to be part of this new kitchen.) The only NEW appliance might be a microwave drawer, since the existing countertop M/W is such a problem for DH to use, and I constantly clean up food messes in it. I prefer to use my Breville Smart Convection oven!

I won't try to prejudice your response further. Tell me. What am I missing? How can I deal with attitude differences as it relates to our remodel? Should I stand my ground, endure? Should I send him on a vacation far far away? Hog tie and gag him? He usually ends up saying what I do is beautiful, fantastic, awesome....but when he is in this kind of state, I get totally discombobulated.

Thanks for hearing me out. I await your response.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor