SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_356496307

Feedback on house addition/remodel project

Josh D
2 years ago

Wanted to see if anyone can give any feedback opinions on our house remodel idea. Our house is a small house that was built in the 60s, so it currently has a closed floor plan with small rooms and kitchen. We plan on taking down some walls to open up the living room/kitchen area. We also plan on adding on to the back of the house to have a proper master bedroom & bathroom with shower/tub, and create more closet space.

Attached are 3 sketches:

1. The first is what the current floor plan is right now.

2. The second is a floor plan with the addition added on to the rear of the house (shown in red). Also, removed the one bedrooms that will be taken down and removed the center closet and bookshelf that separates the kitchen and living room. This floorplan basically shows what we are working with after these things are removed. We think we might be placing a beam above the load bearing wall shown in this sketch to open up the living room. Right now our living room feels awfully too small when more than 4 people are over. But this may not be needed after we take down that center closet and book shelf.

3. The third sketch, is what a friend of ours drew up by hand, using some of our ideas. It has the master bedroom, WICs, and master bedroom all lined up on one side of the addition. With the left over space we made an extra bedroom and small office. My wife really likes this plan, while I would like to explore some more ideas before settling on a final layout.

All that to say is what do you guys think? Any and all feedback is welcome and greatly appreciated! I'm a little apprehensive about having our master bedroom location. Not sure if the noise from the laundry room would be irritating or not. Also, not sure if having the master bed/bath/closets all in line like this. Their locations made for some creativity regarding the other half of the addition. Any opinions on that?

I also liked the idea of some kind of mud room with some cabinets near the back door where we can keep dirty boots, jackets, and stuff. But couldn't figure out how to make that work. Our house doesn't have a lot of closet space/storage area so been racking my brain on best way to utilize the space we have.

Comments (21)