SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_sokol24

Remodeling entire ground floor of old home. Feedback on flow?

Michelle Sokol
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

My husband and I bought a 1,500 square foot home about 7 years ago as our "starter" home. We've since paid the home off, but have only made minimal updates (paint, adding a beam where former owner knocked out a loadbearing wall, replacing shower).

We've recently started thinking about upgrading our home for more space, better layout and better condition. We put in an offer on a home we fell in love with a few houses away for $15K over asking, but were still beat.

We LOVE our neighborhood and don't want to move far, but the chances seem slim that something will come on THIS market that we can afford and checks all the items off our lists. At the very least, I'd like to remodel our kitchen as that's been on my wishlist since the day we moved in. I feel that we'd get a good chunk of our investment back if we were to find our dream home and put our house on the market soon after remodeling. But my thoughts: Why stop there? Why wait for a home we like to hit the market when we can improve the one we already own?

1,500 sq. ft. feels small for us currently (my husband and I primarily work from home and have a 2-year-old toddler), and we think there's one more child in our future at some point. But I think we can definitely make 1,500 sq ft work if we make the space more functional. Husband is still hesitant, as he likes how wide open our living space is currently.

We have 2 bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs that work great, but the space downstairs needs some work. We are thinking we’ll need a 3rd bedroom in the future. I've created some rough floorplans/renderings to try to get my husband on board with remodeling, but would love feedback from others!

For budget reference, we have about $40K in cash for renovations currently, but would also consider turning to a HELOC for additional budget. Our home is totally paid off and would likely appraise for ~$125K (bought at $80K), but we obviously wouldn't want to spend all of that. WE don't have a garage currently, so would like to build one and have been quoted about $22K. Willing and able to do SOME of the work ourselves (install flooring, paint walls), but would want to hire out to remove/build the walls and to hang the cabinets/install counters.

Thoughts on the current vs. proposed flow? Anything you would try differently? Any major problems I'm not thinking of?

Aerial rendering of proposed (left) vs. current (right).

The tiny room within the bedroom is a soundproof gaming booth for husband, who is constantly waking toddler up currently while he plays games in the office/dining area.

Rough floorplan of proposed (left) and current (right).

The living space is currently wide open, but we only use the area at the front of the house currently. The rest of the space becomes littered with toddler toys.

View when you walk into the front door (current on top, proposed on bottom).

This is the area that would become significantly smaller/more enclosed. However, I think it can still be functional as a dining area + some play space.

View from extra room (current on top, proposed on bottom).

Room currently has 3 walls of built-in shelves and a desk, but it's shoddy craftsmanship. We don't use the storage. I'm not a fan of the table in here as it's difficult to navigate and feels like a round-about journey from kitchen to dining.

Husband is already on board with removing the built-ins and adding a small entrance to kitchen. However, without any of the other work, I believe that would reduce resale value as it would take away this room's potential as a bedroom. Converting this to the bedroom is not my top choice as (1) it is still so far away from our primary bathroom and (2) I really want a better flow from kitchen.

From front corner of house (current on top, proposed on bottom).

Considering adding a wall (where a previous owner knocked one out and we had to add a structural support beam...) to create a main floor master bedroom. We use the downstairs bathroom as our primary shower anyway, which is currently very awkward walking out into the middle of the living room.

(This wouldn't really require changing the window... I just chose the wrong version on the current rendering!)

Another view from near the entry. (Current on top, proposed on bottom)

This shows what portion I'd like to block off and how it does really enclose this space. Could easily drop the closet from the plan, but it adds some much-needed storage space.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living