SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Kitchen Remodel - Feedback on Proposed Layout?

juddgirl2
10 years ago

*Updated* to include more accurate measurements in the drawings. The range wall is actually 128" (not 100") when factoring in the depth of the cabinets on the adjacent wall.

Initial Post:

Our "replace the appliances and paint the cabinets" kitchen update plan has morphed into a "gut the kitchen and replace everything" remodel plan, and I'd love feedback on the proposed layout I just submitted to cabinet companies for some quotes.

About us: My DH and I just have our 10 year old DD left at home, but our 3 adult children and their significant others often come home for dinners and parties. We live in a nice neighborhood in SoCal with mid to high end custom homes, and we've remodeled almost the entire house except the kitchen, which was done in 1999 by previous owners. DH would like us to move in 5 years after he retires, but I would like to stay for my job and family, so that's an unknown. I have a feeling we'll stay ;-)

DD likes to do homework and eat breakfast/lunch at the peninsula, but we always eat dinner in the dining room. We have a sofa in our current kitchen and I like to curl up there and drink my coffee in the mornings, but it doesn't get used much otherwise.

The kitchen is the most used room in the house. I love to bake and cook, and we often host family and friends for holidays, parties, swimming, etc. Everyone stays in the kitchen when we entertain, with guests usually all huddled around one corner of the existing peninsula where I put out the appetizers and am busy prepping at the only sink. My adult DD and DD-in law like to help prep, and DH is often playing bartender in the corner near the dishwasher, so it gets crowded in my cooking area.

I'd like to change the layout to switch from a peninsula to an island, to allow more room for people to gather around and put out food buffet style. I'd also like to expand into the other part of the kitchen, by putting in a bar/beverage center with refrigeration, and comfortable seating.

I also want to get the wall oven/microwave combo out of the walkway (scary opening the door when kids are running in and out) and switch to a range. We were thinking of switching the sink to the outside wall where teh refrigerator is now, and adding a window above to get more light into the kitchen.

My inspiration is nini04's kitchen, with painted cabinets that either match or complement my Sherwin Williams Antique White trim, light quartzite counters on the perimeter, a walnut counter on the island, and ss appliances.

Since we'll be gutting the kitchen and moving plumbing/electrical, I'm not at all tied to the current or even a similar layout. We're open to moving the sink, refrigerator, range and/or wall oven anywhere in the available space, if there's a better layout than the one I've proposed.

I don't want a cooktop or full sink on the island, since this is where people gather and we serve food when entertaining. I hate having all my dirty/clean dishes there now when entertaining, although it's nice to be facing people when prepping. A prep sink on the island would be fine.

A few other wants/needs:

- Cooking/Baking: I cook and bake often so this is important to get right. I proposed a 48" range, because 1) I like the way it looks, 2) it's less expensive than a 36" range plus micro/oven combo in order to get 2 ovens, and 3) I'm thinking it's the most space-saving way to get a double oven in my kitchen, plus extra cooktop/griddle area. However, I'm open to a 36" range and a wall oven if it allows for a better layout/storage space.

I do use all the storage I now have in the base cabinets under and next to my current cooktop to store my many pots/pans/baking sheets, so hopefully I could make that up in the island or on one of the walls near the range wall.

- Pantry: I'd like to have at least as much pantry space as I have now, either with cabinet style uppers and lowers (like my current pantry cabinets) or a walk-in/reach-in style instead if that works better for the layout.

- Trash: We've decided to get rid of the trash compactor in the remodel, but would like a pullout for trash and recycling, probably in the same space it is now, which would be near the new prep sink in the new island.

- Refrigeration: I'm worried about the counter depth 36" refrigerator allowing enough refrigeration space, because we really don't have enough now with our full size side by side, but having a wine/beer refrigerator and/or refrigerator/freezer drawers in the new beverage center may help. Since we'd be getting all new appliances, I'm open to any suggestions as to size and style of refrigerator, but we do like the look of the KitchenAid Pro-Style appliances (fridge, dishwasher, and range).

- Beverage Center: I could definitely see us getting a lot of use out of this when we frequently entertain family and friends. It would be great to expand into the mostly unused part of the kitchen and get this function out of my main cooking area, and also get some extra refrigeration for beverages and possibly ice, lemons, etc., if we use the under counter fridge/freezer drawers and/or wine and beer fridge.

o If there's any way to fit a cabinet for a hidden television in the upper cabinets of the beverage center, that would be great.

o Definitely refrigeration in bev center. We frequently store bottles of beer and a few bottles of wine in the main fridge, as well as kids' drinks. It would be nice to move these to the beverage center.

o We also store some room temperature wine in our current wine storage cabinet next to the cooktop (no more than 6-12 bottles).

o We may or may not put in a small bar sink, it just depends on if the main plumbing line is easily accessible under the slab without damaging the hardwood in the next room.

- Command Center: I'd also like to fit a command center somewhere in the kitchen (maybe in the beverage center or near the pantry) to be used for the mail, cell phone charging station, and my DH/DD's work/school paperwork that tends to accumulate on all available surfaces right now. It doesn't have to be large, but it should have at least some counter and cabinet space. Since I'm eliminating the closet space that's currently open to the great room in order to expand the wall of cabinets, the school supplies in this cabinet could perhaps be stored instead under the command center.

I know this is a lot but I think I covered all the bases!

Current Layout:

Kitchen Layout - General

Proposed Layout (now to scale):

Current Kitchen:

{{gwi:1788511}}

{{gwi:1657240}}

{{gwi:1788512}}

Dining Room in next room:

Looking at front door from great room (just in front of kitchen entrance):

This post was edited by juddgirl2 on Tue, Dec 3, 13 at 2:45

Comments (36)