SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaynees

House addition - kitchen remodel

jaynees
11 years ago

My husband and I are in the process of working with an architect to remodel our house and put an extra 14' along the back of part of the house. The addition will allow us to expand the kitchen and tuck the eating area out of the way.

The patio is actually 14x21, not 12x20 like this graphic shows. It's this entire patio section that we're ripping out and on which we're putting the addition. Anyway, here is the CURRENT layout:

Here is the architect's first draft:

We liked it in many ways, but one of the main reasons we're doing the addition is to get more storage in the kitchen. We currently have 25 cabinets (read: I counted each door as a cabinet) in our kitchen, and his plan only called for about 20. Granted, the pantry is a lot larger than our current pantry, but we still needed more cabinets.

So my husband and I sat down and went over the plan for a couple hours and came up with this, which gives is more cabinets, more ability to display my Fiestaware collection (in the built-in corner hutches in the breakfast area) and tweaks a few other things (such as not having the microwave be the first thing people see when they walk in the house).

I'd love to get feedback from you fine kitchen folks. The sink is a Silgranit sink (which is winging it's way to our house as we speak) - it'll require a 54" wide cabinet. His original plan presumed we'd only need a 48" cabinet for it, which is why we moved it.

Any thoughts?

Comments (28)

• rosie
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You're going to love having the additional space for those super-important functions, Jaynees. A really worthwhile addition. That said, I'm going to say what I would if someone tried to give me this kitchen. Take it as the well-intentioned 2-cents-worth it is.

That design not only does not strike me as an improvement on the old (and I think a full remodel should have that as one of the goals), but rather amazingly worse. After bringing in a professional AND adding space, how is it your all-important workroom ends up as a bunch of broken-up elements kinda stuck here and there to allow traffic to get by?

Sort of. It looks like your DRM doorway was shifted so traffic could run *directly* into that element stuck in the middle?

It also looks like, shades of decades of bad tract-home plans, the rest of the house was set in place, including even doorways, and the kitchen sort of willy-nilly made to fit into whatever space was left over in the middle.

If it were mine, it'd be straight back to the drawing board, with a clean, blank sheet of paper and my kitchen function moved from the bottom of the priority list to join one or two other absolutel must-haves at the top. Best wishes. :)

• blfenton
    11 years ago

In either plan I can't figure out where you are going to prep, nor can I get a handle on the all important work triangle. At the very least I would switch the pantry and the fridge area. At least get the fridge closer to the eating area and then you can get some semblance of a work triangle. I would then switch the DW to the other side of the sink so that your prep area and cleau-up area are in different spots.

Within having any measurements it is hard to go any further with comments. But, I'm wondering if, with switching the pantry and the fridge corners if it would make more sense to have one island running parallel to the stove wall instead of that cumbersome set-up with two of them.

• Related Discussions

Home Loan advise? Remodel and Addition

Q

Comments (5)
    You have a couple of choices but the one that probably makes the most sense and the "cheapest" money, would be to take out a first mortgage on your home. Since you currently own the home "free and clear" interests rates are at historic lows and, depending upon your geographical location, you should be able to get a mortgage somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.5%-4%, with a monthly payment of around $600, for 15 years. Obviously the payment would be higher to pay off the loan in 10 years. The problem with this option and also a HELOC (home equity line of credit), is that most lenders will not loan 100% of the homes value, which is what you need, $100,000-15,000 (your 15% down)= $85,000, which is the current appraised value of your property. So unless you can find a lender who will loan 100% of property value, you may have to get real creative. Is it possible to phase the remodel? Do some now, pay off the loan, do the remaining later? Also, a HELOC works in a very similar way that a credit card does, as you pay down the loan, more money is available and you wouldn't need to take out another loan.
    ...See More

Input on addition/remodel design for small house on pie lot

Q

Comments (10)
    cpartist - Point taken on the patio above the bedroom. However one of our neighbors did this when remodeling a similar floorplan and it has worked out well. (Plus we are in Northern CA so haven't seen rain in a very long time.) When you say they need "lots of work" give me a teaser...what's wrong? omelet - I am really torn about having a family room connected to the kitchen or separate. I love the concept of having a whole family space to hang out in. Right now I'm stuck cleaning up the kitchen while everyone hangs out watching a game or starting a family show downstairs. I think the room would be used 70% of the time for family activities (hanging out, ballgames, movies, reading) and 30% of the time taken over by tweens and teens after school/on weekends. What kind of third option do you mean? Livewireoak - cpartist is correct. There is no room for rebuilding the garage further to the left. There is just a 6 foot gate/tiny sideyard then the neighbors (visible on the left).
    ...See More

Remodeling House Addition - Ballroom and Clubhouse

Q

Comments (0)
    We added a new addition on to the house a couple years ago including a large ballroom with natural hardwood floors and a club house with tile floors and a full kitchen. I need some help on figuring out the exact white color to paint the walls and trim along with an accent color over the fireplace in the ballroom as well as an accent color in the clubhouse. Also, I need help with choosing a white color for the master bedroom which will accent newly painted fireplace and mantle in SW Agreeable Gray as well as maybe a white color and an accent color to match the newly painted vanities in SW Agreeable Gray in the master bathroom. I could also use some help with choosing the right vanity lights, sconces, chandeliers, and curtain panels.
    ...See More

Looking for feedback on addition above kitchen and kitchen remodel

Q

Comments (8)
    With the possibility of multiple cooks in the house, and children who will also be learning to cook and help in the kitchen, I'd include a prep sink on the island. Helpers can load or unload the DW, or gather dishes to set the table, without crossing into the prep path. I increased the seating overhang to 15"--the minimum recommended by the NKBA.I, too, live in a multi-generational, multi-cook, household--my daughter, her husband, and their two children live with me. I love my second sink!
    ...See More
  • _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

Never ever waste an all important outside corner of a house on an area where you will spend little time. It's an opportunity for windows from two directions and a bright and sunny space and you have it given over to---a laundry room. Not that a laundry room shouldn't be bright and sunny, but your kitchen comes first. The whole thing looks like the kitchen is the afterthought.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

That is a good point, I was concentrating on the kitchen and not the overall plan. So let me get this straight, you are going to walk through the kitchen, juggle yourself past the island stools, then wind your way past the table and chairs in the eating area carrying a laundry basket? And then repeat that several times during the week? that does not make sense.

• laxsupermom
    11 years ago

Have you checked out the Read me thread? There are several talented layout gurus here, but they're going to need some more info.

What are your goals for this remodel? You've already stated more storage, but is moving the laundry room imperative, too? How many are in your family? kids? ages? pets? How many cooks are there? Do you bake? or can? entertain often? Is having a separate cooktop and ovens in the new kitchen a must?

I'm not in love with either of these layouts, but without knowing more about how you live can't really offer up better solutions. Also can you give dimensions for the entire space? A blank room layout with wall to wall, wall to door, and window measurements would be helpful.

• jaynees
    Original Author
    11 years ago

laxsupermom - no, I haven't seen that forum but will definitely go check it out! My DH and I have been reading your comments and pretty much agree that we need to go back to the starting board with this plan.

The more I looked at it, the more I knew that the kitchen doesn't face the direction I want it to face. I want it to face to the right, not to the back (top).

Also, my husband and I just don't think this design gives us the additional storage we want - even with the add'l stuff we put onto his plan.

I'll post on the Read Me thread and see what htey have to say. Thanks!

• jaynees
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, I HAVE seen the Read Me thread - I thought when you mentioned it that it was a discussion board, not a large FAQ of sorts.

Here's our info:
    What are your goals?
    More storage, more countertop working space

What is your family composition?
    2 adults, 2 young children (ages 9 and 8).

How many kitchen workers are there? Cook(s)? Cleanup? Helpers? Now? Future?
    My husband is the main cook and cleanup, whereas I'm the baker and helper. The kids do get their own snacks and drinks, and clean up the table after meals.

How do you see your kitchen used? Just for cooking/cleaning up? Children doing homework while you cook? Party place?
    Our current kitchen is the catch-all. Cooking, meals, homework table, mail dropoff, party center. It's the main reason we need to make it BIGGER - to accommodate all those things without seeming cramped.

Do you entertain a lot? If so, formal? Informal?
    We don't entertain a lot, but when we do, it's for 30 people. We don't do "small" parties. They are mostly informal.

Do you want your kitchen to be a "hang out" place? Parties only? Everyday?
    Our kitchen is definitely the hangout place when people are over. Our stools at the island get heavily used.

Do you have a separate DR? Do you use it frequently? Infrequently?
    We NEVER use the DR. In fact, we use it as a playroom for the kids and don't even have a table in there right now.

Would you like to open up the kitchen to adjacent areas? Close it up?
    We would like to keep it open, which it is now, to the TV room.

Do you plan to merge two rooms/areas (e.g., Nook and Kitchen into a Kitchen only).
    Our current kitchen is an eat-in kitchen, so we want to continue with this.

Can windows or doorways change size?
    Yes, absolutely.

Can they be moved or eliminated?
    Yes, absolutely.

Can windows be raised/lowered?
    Yes, absolutely.

Can any walls come down?
    The back wall will already be coming down since we're doing the addition, but no other walls should come down.

Does the sink have to be centered under a window?
    If it's on an outside wall, it would be nice to be under a window. But it's not imperative.

Dimensions:
    21.5 wide x 25 deep.

Need at least one door to outside for letting out the dog. Have considered having a built-in banquette seating for the table (which at it's max with the leaf is 80 inches long). Laundry room can stay where it is which is down at the bottom of the original graphic - that wasn't a "must have" in any way.

We definitely want a large pantry so that cabinets can be dedicated to pots, pans, dishes, etc. We'd like to have some sort of desk/working area for the kids to do hoemwork and for us to put our laptop, which currently sits on the island taking up space. We want an under-counter microwave, but need counter space for a rotisserie, our mixer, coffee maker and our convection toaster oven. Our sink is a Silgranit Precis, which is 48" wide and requires a 54" cabinet.

As I said in my other post, we currently have 25 cabinets (read: doors were counted as a single cabinet) and would like to go up from there, even if we get the larger pantry for foodstuff.

The only caveat is that we just put in new granite countertops last year when we were originally planning to put the house on the market and sell. Now that we are staying put, we don't want to lose that investment, and would like to reuse as much of the existing countertops as we can - even if it has to be chopped up for use in a new way.

• bmorepanic
    11 years ago

I don't have a lot of tact about stuff like this - so you're warned. I will say that I feel your pain on the granite. So - I don't know exactly how to say this. There are a lot of technical difficulties with the function of what you've designed. If you're spending all the money on an addition, don't let the countertops control your design. I'm not saying don't use them where you could - I'm saying don't let that be the driving force of the design.

And don't hurry. Its a big space (like 30 by 20) plus it looks like you're going to gut and relocate assorted utility areas - so maybe adding another 300 square feet - so between the addition and the gut job - its about 900 square feet.

Hollysprings also said something I'd agree with - in terms of keeping the utility space in the center of the house and moving the kitchen up into the light. Like why build more space without windows when you have plenty of it already?

I feel sorry for the poor person trapped at the penalty box desk with knee space only two feet wide and wonder how a right-hander can even write? It's ok to make a drop area if you want one, and I know you see yourself doing something there but I don't know if anyone would want to sit there.

Why locate the kitchen in a corridor? With the addition, the kitchen becomes more of a hallway.

So - make hot cocoa in the new kitchen. How many feet do you have to travel to get what and have it end up where?

Stuff from the pantry goes to the island (about 8.5-10 feet in each direction). Stuff from the ref goes to the island (about 5 feet each way) or to the sink to island (about 14 feet to sink, plus 3 to 9 feet back to island in one direction) or is as simple as a glass of beer at the dinette (whopping 30 feet in one direction). Island to range is about 6-7 feet, range to ref is about 10-12 feet, range to water is about 12 feet and more importantly, range to drainage while carrying a hot pot full of liquid is too. If spouse wants to pop some veg into the micro, its also a pretty long trip.

If you are cleaning up for spouse, you'll block his way to the only source of water. Plus the person doing the dishes will not be able to stand in front of the a good portion of the sink - because of the way the dishwasher door opens.

How will you be able to work in the kitchen with people flowing through? The door to the playroom? what will happen there in two-three short years when its no longer needed?

I know the above can sound mean, but what I mean is take a good cold critical look at what you've drawn and a good look at what your priorities are for the money you'll be spending.

hth.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Old granite can go in the pantry. Don't let it drive or prevent you from making good kitchen-design decisions. When counting cabinet space - count linear feet of uppers and lowers and not the number of doors. Doors will be different widths. And don't forget that if you are going from lower cupboards to drawers, you will discover that drawers are much more efficient for placing things than cupboards.

And depending on what the old granite cost you might want to find out the cost of retemplating and recutting it actually is. It may not be worth it. (I honestly don't know but something to check out)

• finestra
    11 years ago

To get more cabinet space, I put shallow(15") base cabinets abutting the standard 24" base cabinets under the island. I got a large slab to go over each. In the back, I store the things I don't use everyday - blender, cuisinart, mixer, ice cream machine, bread maker, pitchers, etc) They are hidden and don't cost me any valuable cabinet space. I just have to pull out a chair to access them. I will post a photo once the slab gets put on.

ITA about not letting the granite dictate. You are going to be spending a lot of money between the architect, the construction and the cabinets. Supplement the existing if you need larger runs and use the old stuff where it works.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Where do you come into the kitchen from the outside/garage? Which door? Can you post a slightly bigger first-floor plan showing where the various doors go? Thanks

It's fine for us to say move the kitchen to the old patio area but not if it makes it a long trek from the garage for unloading groceries. One thought I had was to leave the laundry room where it is and then make that corner (upper left patio area) your desk area for the kids with the eating area beside it. You can have corner windows there which adds light to the kitchen. Put the pantry area in the corner where you had planned to put your fridge area. Pantries don't have to have windows just lights.

Now measure out the eating area, measure out the pantry area, and fill in the middle area with your kitchen. Figure out how much space you have, plan a work triangle and see what you come up with and repost.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

You're not going to be able to use the slab of the patio as the floor of any addition. It would have to be demolished and new footers dug, along with new walls and roof. Trying to think about using it is just as bad of a permanently fixed idea as is trying to "recycle" the kitchen. It limits your thinking in a very bad way.

Think of the current dining/kitchen/family space as a single long rectangle, and figure out what give you the best bang here. With your current proposed expansion, I see the kitchen moving into the new space entirely, but what that will do is separate it somewhat from the family room. And that still leaves you with a dining room, a breakfast room, and an island. Redundant. No one needs 3 places dedicated to eating.

If you want to keep more of a connection with the family room from the kitchen, I'd suggest expanding the kitchen into the breakfast area, and opening the kitchen to the DR instead to create more of a connection into that as the single main eating area instead. Make the eating space you choose, WORK, instead of chopping things up more and spending a whole lot more to create an awkward space off of the back.

Maybe something like this.

I bumped out the DR enough to be able to get two closets/pantries to either side of the passthrough between the LR and DR. I'd see you using those as bulk goods storage and for little used appliances rather than your everyday canned goods. You could even bump the DR out a bit more and add a bay window to act as an anchor to a banquette for an expandable table. You get the larger range with two ovens as a focal point to the whole space and a prep sink on the island means you are facing your guests 70% of the time while you are doing prepping tasks. The cleanup zone is open to the eating area, and the family room is open to the prep area with a straight shot outside through the rear door to the patio, which could be made over into a sunroom if you want to create a playroom area for the kids.

• jaynees
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the comments so far, everyone!

bmorepanic: great post! And no, it didn't hurt my feelings to read it. *lol* When the kids are done with the playroom, we'll turn it back into a formal dining room. We still have our hutches with our formal china in there, so all we'd need to do is get a new table (we gave our old one to my sister when we decided to let the kids have their toys in there).

blfenton: we come into the house through the laundry room, which is connected to the garage. We NEVER use the front door to enter/leave the house. This is why I initially thought turning that into a true mudroom would be better.

GreenDesigns: the plan is to dig up the patio but use it's footprint to put on the addition. This way we're not losing any yard at all with the addition - we don't care about the patio and plan on building a screened in porch off the TV Room.

Like you, when I think "addition" I also envision the kitchen moving entirely into the new space, but in a "C" formation with an island. But I do worry about the large open space that is the current old kitchen - what to do with it? It seems weird to have the kitchen table just kind of sitting there.

If I had unlimited cash, I'd probably move the kitchen into the family room area and then turn the addition and old kitchen space into a huge great room. But we don't have that kind of cash at our disposal.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

"If I had unlimited cash, I'd probably move the kitchen into the family room area and then turn the addition and old kitchen space into a huge great room. But we don't have that kind of cash at our disposal."

Moving the kitchen will be cheaper than adding space and moving the kitchen around. I'd say 75K vs 120K as the start for one vs the other. It's an idea that you should explore.

Or move. None of these projects will be as cheap as buying an existing space that already works the way you want it to.

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

What's the point of spending money to add on when you have a bunch of space in the home that you already aren't using? This is a case of think the current box before deciding to go outside of it.

• jaynees
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hollysprings - we're definitely using everything we already have. And having run out of room we now store the blender and food processor in the garage, and the big roasting pans in the laundry room, and various other kitchen items NOT in the kitchen. This is why we want to expand the kitchen area. We're tired of having to go to the garage or laundry room to get things to cook with.

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

"We NEVER use the DR. In fact, we use it as a playroom for the kids and don't even have a table in there right now."

Start with the intention of reclaiming that space before you plan any addition. It's free.

• ontariomom
    11 years ago

I just wanted to add, that having a designated playroom in the dining room is using the space. If we don't give kids an area to play and stash their toys (or drop their toys) then they take over all of our other living spaces.

Carol

• Buehl
    11 years ago

Layout...I'm trying to create your current space on graph paper (to then add the 14' deep addition), but I keep running into measurements that don't add up.

Would it be possible to measure your actual space? Actual spaces rarely match what they say they are on paper from the builder and post them here?

Take graph paper and draw up the existing space - walls, windows, doors, doorways and measure each as well as the distances b/w each. You don't need to add the refrigerator, etc., just the infrastructure. I'm assuming any doors and windows in the new space can be placed where needed (correct me if I'm wrong).

From that, we can just add a 14' deep extension off the existing space (the width of the Kitchen + Dinette, I assume) and work from there.

You could do it by hand and take a digital picture of it or use PowerPoint or similar to do a quick drawing and save it as a JPG file and post it here. You can find free graph paper online. Do you have a full-basement under the current house?
    Do you plan to add a basement or crawl space under the addition?

Dining Room as a Playroom...we did just that in our home as well. For the first 10 years or so, our DR was the Playroom, without any Dining Room furniture at all (we moved from a Townhouse with no formal DR). We ate in the Kitchen in a small area.

As our children grew up (now 15 & 17), it was used less and less as a playroom and we eventually reclaimed it as a DR - a DR that was rarely used for anything except at Christmas, Easter, and birthdays and as a dumping ground and the occasional project the rest of the year. One caveat - we finished part of our basement and added a "toy closet" for storing toys not currently "in use".

The kids eventually outgrew our small table space as well.

When we remodeled, we reclaimed our DR to use everyday as our main table space. We took down most of the wall b/w the Kitchen & DR and added a peninsula for (1) some separation b/w the two rooms and (2) more counter and cabinet space. The DR became an "informal DR/formal kitchen table" space and it suits us perfectly! We did not have the luxury of being able to add an addition, so this worked best for us.

You do have that luxury - so you could continue to use the DR as a Playroom for a few more years (not many more years, though, unless you are planning more children!) Perhaps you could then turn the DR into a Study/Computer Room/Library and get several more years' of frequently used space out of it. You might even consider starting the transition now - add a desk or two for homework. I would probably put a computer station/docking station out in the open, though, so I could see what the kids are doing online...

• home4all6
    11 years ago

Hi jaynees! I won't really be of any help, but I wanted to let you know I am in a very similar boat as you are right now, floating down the river of "What the heck should we do to improve our space and get what we want out of this house?" I've posted on GW a multitude of times, with my many and varying ideas of adding on, building out, relocating...and the good people here will help you look at it many different ways and think of things you mightn't have thought of on your own.

I *think* we are going to end up moving some pesky stairs so we can combine our formal DR with our kitchen, using the DR as more an informal eat-in part of our kitchen. It's pricey, but not nearly as much as an addition, plus it allows me to make the most of under-used space within our existing home.

I will highly recommend the "Not So Big" series of books, written by Sarah Susanaka. She is a huge proponent of making every inch of your home into cozy, usable space. I checked out a stack of her books from my library and was really inspired by her suggestions and ideas. I even went to hear her speak last week!

Good luck to you as try to sort this all out--take your time and make the best decisions possible. This is a HUGE investment, so you don't want to rush it. Plan, plan, plan and be sure, when the time comes to move forward, you are 100% certain you are doing the right thing!

• bmorepanic
    11 years ago

This is a concept sketch of doing what you said -> kitchen to family room. It isn't an actual kitchen plan, just some allocation of space showing that a kitchen could easily fit.

It still does an addition of sorts but its more of a redo of the existing bump out. It proposes corralling the noisy stuff (tv-gaming-sports manics) into the formerly dining room when the time comes altho that space could become a study or quiet room just as well or a "projects room" if your family does sewing, crafts or other hobbies or the world's best laundry plus projects area or study.

It doesn't attempt to solve all the uses shown in your drawing - like the mudroom, pantry and laundry. But overall, you might want to play with the concept of doing the exchange.

• NewSouthernBelle
    11 years ago

Jaynees - I have been where you are - trying to figure out what configuration will work and you just have to keep playing, keep playing. Draw out the shell in black, make some copies and then sketch all different layouts to see what might come to mind.

You said if you had the money, you would do as bmorepanic is suggesting, moving the kitchen to the current family room. Have you priced it out? Would it be that more expensive b/c of moving plumbing a longer distance or b/c of flooring or something else? Just trying to understand. We did an addition of 14'x16' and it was certainly not cheap so I just want you to think realistically, with estimates, long and hard about if moving the kitchen could possibly work.

I certainly don't love your first plan - what the architect came up with but I think I disagree with hollysprings. Using the corner for laundry room isn't a travesty or some awful sin, especially if you have lots of windows else where and that is what makes the most overall sense. If the laundry room does end up there, include windows and make it a really nice, convenient space to fold your laundry immedatiately.

DR - do you anticipate using it as a formal dining room later or would you rather go more of buehl's route - informal DR/formal kitchen table? I ask b/c we are currently using our DR as a playroom too (mine are little though 2 and 4) but we know we will make it back into a formal dining room because we like entertaining and having more people sit than our current kitchen table will hold. If this is not your thing, plan for how the space will be used best later on - like in 3 or 5 years.

I'm sure your head is spinning with what everyone has given you to think about. You've come to the right place. Now just wait until you actually start laying out your kitchen cabinets - that is when the fun really begins. It's worth it though. Cheers!

• doonie
    11 years ago

We did a large addition to our house like you are preposing in 2010. Your reasons for wanting to expand sound very similar to ours. We ended up adding about 800sq ft of interior space to our house. There can be unexpected expenses/choices to be made when undertaking these sorts of large projects. When the footers were excavated, they discovered the fill dirt extended much further out from the foundation than we had originally planned for. We went ahead and added a full basement underneath since they were already having to dig that far down for the foundation. Everything else fell in the budget that we were given.

Our contractor went through a couple of plans, before we settled on what was optimal for our space. One of the previous posters mentioned how useful it would be to provide the forum with the measurements of the the space devoid of anything. When you are able to look at it that way, new ideas of layout may occur that are superior to the one that the architect currently presented you with.

Is the architect intimately familiar with kitchen as a functional space? I think that made a world of difference in our addition. I love the function and flow of the work space that I now have. I actually have nightmares about having to move to a poorly planned kitchen! My point is that if you are going to budget and spend the money for the addition, it needs to be as ideally a functional space as possible.

It's really wonderful to be able to unload the dishwasher and put the plates away directly from there. In the plan you show, I wonder where your dishes will go? And it looks like a bunch of steps from the range top to the sink to dump your pasta water. The space that you gain from the addition is wonderful, but I am afraid you will be frustrated if it doesn't work/flow better than this initial rendering.

The beauty and space of my kitchen, I still adore, but it's the function (or bones as the Gardenwebbers like to say) that make the difference!

• jaynees
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the great comments thus far, everyone!

I showed my DH the pic of the kitchen-in-family room and DR-as-gameroom and he said absolutely not. *lol* He's a stubborn one! He is old school and believes the only way a house will sell is if it has a formal dining room (I disagree), and he reiterated that once the kids outgrow toys, that room will get a new dining room table and become a formal dining room again. *le sigh*

I took an atual measurement of the kitchen space. From dining room entry to the carpeting of the family room, it measures 20'9" wide. From the doors of the pantry back to the end of the patio is 24'4". So that measurement holds true from the foot of the fridge to the end of the patio, basically.

According to DH, no room entrances will change, to keep construction costs down. So the dining room entry, the laundry room door, and entrance from foyer (between 1/2 bath and closet) will all remain the same.

• rosie
    11 years ago

Jaynees, just to open up ideas as you work, regarding potentially multifunctioning the space you're currently calling the DRM over the years as your family's need change: Absolutely no need to build anything in, and you shouldn't. All those units drawn in, for instance, could stand against the walls. Leave spaces flexible as much as possible and use them as needs indicate, including using as DRM now if you wish or just staging as DRM at time of sale. Keep two doors in that space for when the current use benefits from through traffic.

No need to make decisions at this time, but definitely erase all doorways at this point as you design and then draw them back in where you need them. Moving doorways that are in the wrong place can be one of the cheapest and most valuable changes one can make. Not moving them can be real destroyers. So leave that open for now. Even if plumbing or wiring had to be shifted, when plumbers, framers, electricians finish carpenters, painters, materials, etc., were already at work on site the additional cost would be so low it probably wouldn't even be worth itemizing separately. Simply not an issue.

• bmorepanic
    11 years ago

Can HE get a user id? Cause one of the issues is the doorway he wants to move by the ref. :)

Tell him to come on in, the water is fine.

• stranger4
    11 years ago

I'm not sure what else is in the floor plan, but is there any other space that could serve as a formal dining room eventually? Looking at bmorepanic's plan, either the great room or the noisy room could be the eventual dining room, no?

Because, honestly? The kitchen that bmorepanic sketched in looks 10 times more functional than any of the possibilities posted with the kitchen in its current location.

• NewSouthernBelle
    11 years ago

Rosie is right... moving doorways can be a cheap way to fix a lot of problems. And it is WAY cheaper to move a few doorways than do an entire addition.