SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21164925

What’s for Dinner #364

User
5 years ago

The various cherry tomato varieties are doing well.

Today's haul.

Comments (100)

• Compumom
    5 years ago

30 pounds? That's impressive! Forget about Elery's loss, you go girl! Ashley and the girls were back with you? Does that mean her recovery is very slow?

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

Men Always lose weight faster than we women. So unfair!!! VERY impressive for both of you!!!

A couple of years ago I won a wee enamelled casserole, and I usually forget about using it. Last nite I sliced potatoes and onions and put them around in it, with a splash of chicken broth. I used my Cuisinart counter-top oven.

I also made chicken breasts, sauteed onions and garlic simmered in a sauce of chicken broth, wine, passatta (tomato sauce) and some half and half. It was all good.

• Related Discussions

What 's for dinner?

Q

Comments (13)
    Wish I had a neighbor growing them - I need to find some way to try them before deciding on adding them to my orchard. I have never seen them available for sale except for some with splitting skins dripping juices that looked like they were rotten orange tomatoes, and the fruit stand had marked them down to 4 for a buck. I go to farmers markets in several places but no one in my area grows em
    ...See More

What' s for dinner Tuesday?

Q

Comments (9)
    Finishing up the French spring soup. This time with ham and cheese sandwich. DH really loved it. When I got home from golf today the first thing he said was, "you can't have any of that soup tonight." There's a whole quart of it left over. I think that's enough for two people! He said he thought it was the best soup I've ever made. This is so shocking because he doen't even like asparagus.
    ...See More

Final debate. What’s for dinner?

Q

Comments (22)
    Split Pea Soup with chunks of ham. No debate for me....just can't....DH on zoom call with a friend he has a martini with every Thursday eve. All virtual since COVID except for once in our backyard with social distancing. They've done this for years. It's my quiet time :)
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #387

Q

Comments (102)
    Shambo, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I know he had some health issues and you were cooking low salt and healthy meals for him. I'm sending hugs and strong thoughts and prayers to your and your family. Jack, we are kindred spirits, I swear. When I make twice baked potatoes I'll make a whole sheet pan full of them, mine usually just has cheese, butter and sour cream, occasionally I'll add bacon. I freeze them and then package them usually two per package, Mother loves them and they're easy to heat up. Of course someone is always digging through my freezer to see if I have any, all of the grandkids and the kids love them and they make a fast and easy supper. Jasdip, as you know, I love potatoes in just about any form, so being able to grab a package quickly is a luxury. They are quite durable too, LOL. Neely, I have a pile of butternut squash in storage, if only I had a pile of prawns too! sleevendog, that looks pretty to me! Delicious too. No pictures here, today we had hamburgers! Tomorrow we're making sandwiches and having cake and ice cream for Madison's 9th birthday. No party this year, of course, but we bought her a hoverboard, so she'll be happy, even with just her folks and Elery and I. I baked a strawberry cake too, with sea turtles on top, her choice. I'll try to remember to take pictures, and hopefully she won't break an arm or a leg, riding the thing around the kitchen island or something... Annie
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    5 years ago

Ellen, she is slowly feeling better, but she has been prohibited from driving or lifting over 3 pounds for 8 weeks, so there's still a couple of weeks to go. She is feeling better, but obviously those limitations are a problem when she has the two heathens. So, since Kevin was picking up a bunch of overtime during the holiday weekend, they stayed with me, it was just easier.

If I didn't hate Weight Watchers so badly it would be easier, but Elery likes it a lot and I'm just not cooking two separate meals/diets for us. I don't like fruit and won't eat it, I'd rather go hungry. I like most vegetables, but I want them cooked, I seldom eat them raw. I dislike salads in general and that dislike is intense when they include iceberg lettuce, although I'll eat romaine or bibb types occasionally. Elery, of course, ONLY likes iceberg. I'm never eating yogurt, it's slimy and boneless skinless chicken breast is like eating a sponge, but with less flavor. Since the "free" foods on WW are fruits, vegetables, chicken breast, yogurt, along with eggs/beans/baked fish, that cuts down my options by quite a lot. Plus Elery is kind of "fanatic" about it, if there's a grain of rice or a teaspoon of flour, he's not eating it, even if it falls within his allowed "points". So, no rice, no flour, no potatoes, no barley, no quinoa, no fat, no sweet potatoes, no oatmeal, no cereal of any type, no dairy, no cornmeal, no pasta (sigh) And so, there's no cooking, really. Other than the 3 ounces of whatever protein we're having, he wants only foods that are on the zero point list. So, I'm unhappy and I think if I'm this unhappy with a diet I should be losing a LOT more weight than that! Yes, nothing like unrealistic expectations....

Annie

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh Annie, I'm sorry. But I think that if you are willing to go on this diet for him, the least he could do is eat rice and other foods that are actually allowed on the diet.

We have similar likes. You know I don't care for salads, but I do love cooked vegetables. Not a big fruit eater so that isn't going to happen and you couldn't pay me to eat a bowl of yogurt, although I will bake with it.

If I couldn't have a least a few of the things I liked, I would be really miserable.

Other than not being able to drive and lifting things, I'm glad Ashley is feeling better.

Easy dinner. Shared Antipasto plate.

Wonderfully sweet honeydew melon with prosciutto.
    Soppressata Salami
    Olives
    and roasted black cherry tomatoes from our garden.
    Homemade baguette.

• annie1992
    5 years ago

Oddly enough, AnnT, I don't miss the food as much as I miss the preparation of it. No bread baking or pie crusts or experiments with flavors and ingredients. Good thing I have The Princess and her two apprentices, or I wouldn't get to do any baking at all, I just send the final product home with them!

Annie

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Annie, WOW 30 pounds is a major loss. Think of it in terms of sugar..6-5 pound bags or 7&1/2-4 pound bags.

Congratulations.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I understand that Annie. One of the reasons I like to cook dinner in the morning. Often Moe isn't hungry for a big dinner and I miss actually cooking. Especially if I had planned on cooking.

Wanted to show off a set of Charcuterie boards that we finished this week.

Four Table Art Boards, consecutive cuts from the same Big Leaf Maple plank.

These might just be my favourites out of all the boards we have made in the last

eight years.

• bragu_DSM 5
    5 years ago

nice boards ...

• annie1992
    5 years ago

AnnT, those are lovely!

Annie

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Ann, your Greek salad, as always, looks so good, and you make me want to fire up the grill with that Chicken Souvlaki, but it’s your onion rings that send me to heaven – I’ve stared at the close-up a bit too long! That’s a meal that would make DH happy for days. Ok, I confess, me too! I’m guessing I know where you picked up the salami and prosciutto – I’ve never done an antipasto with cured meat wrapped melon but it sure looks good! Your Charcuterie boards are gorgeous! I have a thing for beautiful wood-grain and those are very unique. Lovely, lovely finish work! BTW, I can’t seem to get your peppercorn steak sauce out of my mind so I’m thinking we’ll be having that again very soon.

Neely, I laughed pretty hard when I read ‘chicken bits on a stick’! That works too! I love your sense of humor : ) Yep, gonna hafta fire up the grill for sure now – looks good!

“Dang!” as we say here in the south… Jasdip, your yellow rice looks amazing – as do the ingredients used (thank you for sharing!). I’ve not made it yet, and with the chicken and halved sprouts I’d sure love to try it! Envious of your wee casserole – and your chicken dishes all look yummy – seems good chicken has been on everyone’s menu! I’ve been wondering how you husband is doing? Any idea when he might be able to handle your steps and come home? I know you miss having him there with you.

Annie, I’ve really enjoyed the photo of Elery and the salmon! Gosh that’s a big fish! How fortunate to have fresh! Someday I will attempt mango salsa and Sol’s zucchini pancakes! Those lettuce wraps look particularly good, and anything with an egg on top makes me smile : ) But my fav is the sunflowers and ‘husband’ vase! 30 pounds? You’ve lost 30 pounds? That’s a pretty spectacular weight loss – you should be so proud of yourself! So glad to hear Ashley is recovering… even if slowly. Yes, you sound pretty miserable on your diet. Were it me, I’d make foods I could eat also, in addition to Elery’s – but that’s easy for me to say as I’m not doing it. Besides…

Not much cooking going on here. Too busy, but truly also have lost my desire to cook now with the limited lighting on top of other obstacles. I guess that was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Part of me is looking forward to packing up the temporary kitchen altogether. The other part dreads the nasty meals we’ll have from that point on…

OT: Thought I’d share some good news with my friends here: Passed the initial framing and electrical inspections with flying colors (DH had no reason to feel as antsy as he did!) and the finals will be easy-peasy says DH. I could hear DH telling the electrical inspector: “My wife wanted… My wife had to have… (fill in the blank with kitchen things requiring additional electrical work) – but I think he’s proud to be able to DIY so many of the things I/we wanted – as well he should be. We’ve lined up a drywall finishing guy and are finally taking steps to move forward. Since the devastating fires here in 2016 seems building has taken off and everyone is backed up so it’s a waiting game. Though we’ve a long way to go yet, I’m once again feeling excitement about the new kitchen and sometimes find myself standing in front of where things will go, daydreaming : ) Meanwhile, we had a couple very serious problems arise but one seems to be resolved, while the other remains to be seen. That’s the way it goes and we are taking it all in stride!

A lot of take-out here, but I pulled some scallops from the freezer and made this corn off the cob, red pepper, basil, and bacon dish (added extra bacon since DH doesn’t like scallops) – Huh, turns out DH likes scallops after all! LOL! (It was the bacon). Those potatoes look odd-colored but they were good. I had to make them ahead, and quickly reheat in the microwave once I turned the skillet off.

2nd Photos for Uploading · More Info

Just a Gorgonzola stuffed grilled burger – had to wait out rain, so the kitchen was dark. I didn’t cook anything else to go with it, unusual for me… yes, loosing my desire to deal with the temp kitchen…

Last night’s meal was a Marie Colander tv dinner. I didn’t take a photo but I assure you all it was plated beautifully in the plastic container it came in ; )

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

2ManyDiversions, not what is one beautiful burger. And although I'm not a fan of scallops, I know Moe would be thrilled with that dinner. I still can't believe the meals you have been turning out during your renovations.

I can see why you are so proud of your husband. Must really feel good to be able to do so much of the work yourselves.

We had a late lunch (2:30 PM) at a Thai restaurant yesterday, so didn't really want dinner.
    So, I made my Maple Walnut Fudge.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

I still can't believe the meals you have been turning out during your renovations.

I'll say! I'm in complete awe, 2Many. Congratulations on the inspection!

Wow, annie--30 lbs! That's great.

I really should not open these threads. Not only do they make me feel like a total slacker, but now I'm sooo hungry and it's not even noon yet. :)

• neely
    5 years ago

Great meals everyone so much to catch up on.

Like others have mentioned, I’m in complete admiration for yourself Annie and Elery’s dedication to getting the lbs off. And you don’t like salads.

Annie you have actually inspired me in trying to remove some weight. With the result that we’ve been having very small salad bowls with the following the only picture worthy salad with chicken. Yes there is cauliflower in there as well.

Yes I know the skin is on the chicken. I was so hungry I cheated.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Neely, I would have cheated too. Hard to resist crispy chicken skin.

Started a batch of dough Sunday morning before going to work.

Took it out this afternoon around three and baked tonight.

Two baguettes and three small boules.

One baguette and two boules first out of the oven.

Used some of the dough to make a small pizza for Matt.

Another artichoke and pesto pizza.

Fresh sauce made from tomatoes out of our garden. Basil from our garden to make the pesto sauce.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Smoked a small pork loin on the grill this morning using the pellet pipe smoker.

I have six burner grill and I had all the burners turned off but one and it was on low to maintain a 275°F for five hours. The pork and the pipe were over one of the cold burners. And I draped foil over the top rack and let it hang down to keep more of the smoke directed at the meat.

Pipe smoked for 5 hours and the internal temperature of the roast was 140°F. Wrapped the roast in foil and roasted in the oven for just under two hours to bring the temperature up to 190°F so it was fall apart tender and easy to pull.

I had intended to make a Carolina Vinegar BBQ sauce and a coleslaw and make pulled pork sandwiches for dinner.

But when I took the board to show Moe the pork, and give him a taste, he decided he was happy just picking at the pork with a couple of slices of buttered baguette. I can't believe the great smoke flavour imparted by just the smoke pipe.

The pull pork sandwiches are now destined for tomorrow's dinner.

I owe 2ManyDiversions another thank you for reviewing and recommending the pellet pipe smoker.

• neely
    5 years ago

The bread and that pizza looks really good AnnT and I can’t blame Moe eating there and then, all juicy and freshly cooked.

My offering is a salad for dinner again.

Breakfasts are more interesting.

I learnt this is called a breakfast salad.

Both meals have a sprinkling of a quick homemade dukkah.

• Juan Sebastian
    5 years ago

so interesting these posts excelent information thanks http://zipansion.com/3jynS

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Neely, Moe being the salad eater in his house, he would be thrilled with your dinner and "breakfast" salad.

Moe had a Smoked pulled pork sandwich for dinner Thursday night and another one for breakfast on Friday.

Yesterday was Matt's birthday. He requested a Spanish Tortilla for his birthday dinner. I know that it is usually served as a tapa, but I typically serve the Spanish Tortilla for breakfast. But hey if he wanted one for dinner, I was okay with that.

That is all Matt wanted.

But I decided to make a tapas platter for Moe and I.

Spanish Tortilla

Mushrooms and Garlic

Chorizo with garlic and pimento (blackened a pepper on the grill for the pimento)

Serrano Ham, cheese and grilled garlic bread (homemade baguette)

and olives.

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

Gosh, Ann everything from your poached eggs to the pulled pork is truly breath-taking. Wow, I just ate and I'm hungry.

2Many, again you're knocking it out of the park with your meals in the midst of chaos (but slowly coming together!)

Neely your salads look superb.

I tried a new recipe tonite. It calls for broiling boneless thighs (she said breasts would dry out). I've never bought boneless thighs, they're twice the cost of boneless breasts.

They were coated in oil and spices and instead of broiling, I baked tenders in the cast iron skillet at 425°. They were tender and juicy.

• cookebook
    5 years ago

Ann, your duck breast looks good. I've never tried duck. I made Cajun smothered pork chops in onion gravy yesterday. Pretty dang good and fairly heart-healthy believe it or not. Half a stick of butter for six servings. I can live with that.

• neely
    5 years ago

AnnT, Matt’s birthday dinner looks delicious. I love those sort of meals although we don’t do them a lot anymore.

Jasdip, your meal looks just what I would like.

Cookebook, good looking Cajun pork chops.

We are still eating ‘healthy’

The following was a fish soup I made for myself... hubby doesn’t like these sort of meals.

We did have a regular roast lamb the other night. I didn’t have a roastie potato and that was difficult to do.

Another night we had garlic prawns which were good.

Australian prawns no pasta and just a tiny slice of a roll to mop up the juices.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Again, I’ve been away far too long! If I had to limit myself to one meal I’d love from each of you=… I couldn’t! So maybe 2?

Ann, I’d start with your 6 hour smoked pork and finish with Moe’s artichoke pizza (…and those mushrooms on the side!). As I was reading about your 6 hour smoked pork I thought “I’d eat that plain” and you did! I know that crispy fat cap added so much flavor too! Is that one of your new boards? The grain on it is exceptional – what lovely hand work to bring it out. Thank you for the ‘thank you’ on the pellet smoker, but frankly I will always know it was your ingenuity in using foil to cover all that makes the smoke so fantastic : ) You made me do it again… looked up and found your recipe for the maple walnut fudge – definitely making that when I have a kitchen!

Neely, I’d love your breakfast salad (I call them bistro salads) and then I'd move on to that gorgeous roast lamb… and nibble on your garlic prawns as a ‘side’! I actually prefer potatoes lightly roasted but DH likes them crunchy so I usually make mine to please him.

Jasdip, I only discovered boneless chicken thighs 2 years ago – to me they are decadent (and only a little pricier than chicken breasts here, thankfully). I’ve a recipe that include woven bacon and a molasses-based glaze that’s not remotely heart-heathy but a favorite of ours. I don’t know what spices you used, but gosh those look amazing! Your mashed potatoes are sooo creamy. Mine lately are chunky due to my sad plastic masher… I packed my good masher, as well as the ricer. I’d also re-visit your yellow rice and have a plate of that! I bought the ingredients for it as it looked so good… but the kitchen is packed.

Cookebook – delectable pork chops simmering in onion gravy (onion gravy!!)? DH and I would fight over that, and I’d win because that photo is killing me in a good way! Yum! And I’d revisit your Italian Tuna Salad – I keep going back and looking at it and the ingredients – just sounds so good!

Writersblock, thank you! Yep, I know what you mean! Still I can’t stop looking at everyone’s meals no matter how hungry I get for them!

Shout out to Cathy in PA – miss you! {imagine my arms waving about wildly as I try to get your attention}

Oh, dear. Yes, we’ve packed the temporary kitchen. My cooking was starting to suffer anyway as you’re about to see.

Knowing this was to be one of our last home-cooked meals, I chose beef tips, which we’ve always loved. I remembered to leave the sweet red bell peppers out of the pressure cooker and add to the simmer at the end. I’d picked a lovely sirloin… but when I added the cornstarch to thicken the gravy it foamed up like a lab experiment (and now most of you have guessed what I did!) – I panicked, my mind racing, wondering what remodel chemical I’d inadvertently gotten into my food… I tasted it. Chemical taste. Acckkk! Yep, in the dim light I’d grabbed the baking powder. I tried to thicken the gravy but succeeded only in overcooking the portabella’s and red pepper. It was barely edible, but all we had.

Had a recipe for Instant Pot Orange Chicken – highly rated. I kept thinking, that’s a lot of orange flavor, but didn’t listen to my rational self. Overly orange-flavored too sweet chicken. The sauce was good with rice, but… as DH sweetly said “the chicken is very… orangey.” Bless him. The lighting was dim, so forgive the odd tint (and yes, same corn/basil/tomato salad with both meals):

That’s it for a while dear friends. I’ve 2 racks of ribs in the freezer wanting to be slow smoked. I’ve Jasdip’s yellow rice ingredients calling to me. I’ve steak and lobster tails vac sealed for sous vide. With the mornings cooling I had wanted to cold smoke cheddar… alas, not to be. It’s all packed. No choice. Every room is filled with boxes now and we’ll be playing musical boxes as the ceilings are scraped, the drywall is up and finished, flooring, etc. I can’t see us being finished until next summer (due to various factors). Still, I’ll visit regularly as time allows, and maybe I’ll post some nasty fast-food pics just to be a part of the WFD threads! Trust me, I’ll be back in full force when we are done – I’m not one to meander away, fading into the sunset when I find a good thing! Thanks to everyone here for being so kind, supportive, and helpful with our reno-cooking! You’ve made our meals amazing! For now… the harder work begins.

• cookebook
    5 years ago

Red Thai shrimp curry tonight.

• neely
    5 years ago

Shrimp or prawns must be on people’s minds at the moment. Red Thai shrimp curry looks and sounds delicious cookebook.

So 2many am I right that you are now losing your temporary kitchen as well. I guess it’s all progress until you’ll be kicking up a storm in your new one. In fact, I can imagine you’ll be wowing us with your cooking creations.

Simple prawn / shrimp salad... still eating as healthily as possible.

• annie1992
    5 years ago

2many, I'm here too, just looking and not cooking. Don't run off too far, you can still check in you know, even sans kitchen!

AnnT, You just had to make that fudge, didn't you? (grin) That could be breakfast for me and I'd be happy, although everything looks delicious and the boards are always beautiful. You know how I like the natural beauty of wood grains.

Jasdip, boneless skinless thighs are actually cheaper here than chicken breast. I like them much better than the boneless skinless breasts, which seem to have approximately the same texture and flavor as a sponge. Your chicken looks good, but I really, really want the mashed potatoes.

Neely, congratulations on your healthy eating. Both shrimp meals look delicious, I love shrimp. And, like you, I'd hate to have to pass up those roasted potatoes, I don't think I've ever met a potato I didn't like.

Cookebook, I see your little friend there, waiting for dinner. The shrimp looks good but your "friend" would probably much prefer the pork chops!

Elery has been at his daughter's in Ohio for the past week, she bought a new house and so he's been there doing things like installing plugs, fixing the ground fault on the hot tub, repairing the vent fan in the bathroom, replacing the latch on the front gate. Her husband isn't "handy" and doesn't know how to do those things and they aren't familiar with reliable handyman service in the area. I've been keeping the farm running by myself, but it's been busy and I haven't done much cooking. I've had eggs a couple of times and Mother was here Sunday so I baked her a broccoli quiche but I sent it all home with her. We're getting about 18 eggs a day now, so it seemed wise to use some up. I picked up some cabbage at the local Amish roadside stand and packed sauerkraut and made a couple of batches of hot pepper relish and some pineapple hot sauce. I got the pears canned as well as the first batch of applesauce.

I did marinate and cook one sirloin steak, which I didn't eat because just as it was finished my elderly Aunt called, she's had a bypass and is just now back home. 45 minutes later she was still talking so I sliced the steak and put it in the refrigerator. Tonight I made a salad with some heirloom tomatoes, romaine lettuce, fresh cucumbers and some of that steak. I ate the tomatoes, the cucumbers, the steak. I just couldn't make myself eat the lettuce, LOL.

Anyway, Elery is back home and so tomorrow it'll be back to cooking, although I have broccoli that needs cutting, about a silo full of hot peppers tht still need to be dealt with and the zucchini are still coming, they haven't stopped all summer. It's supposed to rain and we're supposed to go to Mother's to program her new phone for her, and Friday we're planning to process chickens, so we'll see how much cooking actually gets done....

Annie

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Last weekend, I made a Moroccan leg of lamb dinner for four of us.

Since I wasn't about to go buy Ras al Hanout seasoning at a store probably an hour and a half away, I found a recipe and made my own:

Two days later I woke up at 5:30 am, to begin prepping the slow braised lamb, since we were to eat about 2 pm. The lamb weighed 7 pounds.

And here is the entire spread (the guests brought the rest of the food, which were various forms of salads). The theme was Mediterranean cookery.

A good time was had by all.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

Cookebook, your little helper is adorable.

Artemis, that lamb looks like it was well worth getting up at 5:30.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jasdip, I would prefer your dish made the way you did with chicken breast. Boneless thighs are really expensive here too. I seldom buy them.

Cookebook, your cajun pork chops look great. Did you serve mashed potatoes with that onion gravy?

DH sweetly said “the chicken is very… orangey.” Bless him.

2ManyDiversions, This made me smile. It certainly looks delicious.

I hope you keep posting throughout this part of your renovations, even if it is just take out food. You will be missed otherwise.

Neely, I know Moe would be thrilled with every one of your meals. He loves seafood/fish but doesn't get it as often as he might like. Although I do have some prawns in the freezer that I like so maybe this week coming I'll make Cindy's Etouffee for him.

Annie, I probably would have done what you did with the salad. Did you at least get to have rice or a potato while Elery was gone?

Artemis_ma. Now that is a feast. I love Mediterranean food. Especially lamb.

This was yesterday's breakfast. Bought some fresh halibut on Wednesday. Had to wait while he cut the fillets for me. Neither of us was hungry for a big dinner Wed. night so I cooked the halibut for Thursday's breakfast.

The halibut was pan roasted in the CSO.

I don't normally care for breakfast, but even I ate this.

Handmixed a batch of dough on Monday and baked on Tuesday. I was awake early so got up and took the dough out of the fridge just before 3:00 AM.

Baked six baguettes

two of which were stuffed with cheddar.

Moe had toasted cheese baguette for breakfast on Wednesday.

I made cabbage rolls one morning this week. I always use Savoy Cabbage for the rolls.

It was a small cabbage so the inside leaves were too small to roll, so I made cabbage rolls with the larger leaves and then made a mini stuffed cabbage with the centre.

Just peeled back all the leaves, one at a time, leaving them attached to the core. Starting with the inside leaves, spooned a little of the filling on each leaf and folded each back up to reshape the cabbage.

I prefer a brothy sauce with tomatoes. I usually use some drained canned tomatoes, but since I still have lots of tomatoes from our garden I used fresh tomatoes, sliced onions and a few garlic cloves, sprigs of thyme and parsley and two cups of chicken broth.

Covered with foil and baked at 350°F for 90 minutes.

Served with sour cream.

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

How creative with the cabbage rolls Ann! I'll bet savoy cabbage is easier to roll. I'll have to try that.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Neely, yes, I’ve packed up the temporary kitchen completely – no room to even leave out the microwave. Your shrimp salad looks fresh and heavenly! Your shrimp or gorgeous!

Annie, again you’ve been so kind, inviting me back even w/o meals! I can’t stay away – I so enjoy seeing what others are preparing. Ah, fresh eggs! I know it’s work, but my oh my. I purchased free range organic eggs for the first time here in hopes they’d be better… naw. No such luck. I’m still an egg-lover though! As I was reading about your steak salad, I had 2 thoughts: 1) one of my favorite meals, and 2) I bet Annie doesn’t touch the salad part! LOL!

artemis_ma, I always envision your marvelous kitchen when I see your meals : ) Can’t find leg of lamb here, but I’ve long loved lamb, and yours looks incredibly tender, flavorful, and moist. What a wonderful spread!

Ann, your fish is always done to perfection – that close up of your halibut makes my mouth water. How you always get your fish so perfect, never overcooked, I don’t know! Clever to use savoy cabbage, and I’ll have to remember that! We occasionally find it here. But it’s your artisan baguettes with cheese that have caught my eye – those must’ve been so good and I doubt they lasted a moment!

Well, last night we had KFC. Their pot pies are tolerable, at least more so than a fast food burger. DH is probably suffering the most eating fast food for lunch and dinner… I am skipping lunches now. I haven’t eaten breakfast since we packed up the temporary kitchen – which means I’m pretty darned hungry by dinner! DH swung by and brought me a burger and fries for lunch yesterday. It was consumed by our trash can : ) The thought was sweet, though.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Ann, I love your cabbage rolls! I'll have to attempt them some day soon! Cabbage=good stuff.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jasdip, I've always used savoy cabbage to make cabbage rolls. And you are right, the leaves are more tender so they are easier to roll.

2ManyDiversions, it has been years since I had KFC, but only because we don't have one in the area. But if we did have one, I would want it to be like the one in Nanaimo that is a combination, KFC and Taco Bell.

Thanks Artemis.

Friday night I wasn't hungry so I made Moe one of his favourites.

Gambas Al Ajillo (Spanish garlic shrimp) with homemade baguette for sopping up all the sauce.

• annie1992
    5 years ago

2many, I'm not cooking so much either, but I'm still around. Opinions and suggestions are always a good thing, even if you aren't currently doing it yourself!

AnnT, those shrimp look delicious!

Here I did a little cooking. Remember that salmon that I got at the local farmer's market?

Well, he filleted one and we turned one into steaks. I wouldn't let him throw away the carcass of the filleted one, though, and so I poached it, removed the meat, made some chowder with the stock. Skim milk and one potato, but it was still pretty darned good:

I have leftover poached salmon, so I think I'll make either salmon salad in lettuce leaves or salmon patties:

This is the sirloin I made and eventually made into that steak salad:

Elery and I "processed" 28 chickens and put them in the freezer so I currently have a big roaster full of chicken stock simmering, which I'll can. The chickens were the right sized, for a change, not so big. Most were about 6 pounds, some were 7 and a couple of monsters were 8 pounds, so lots of chicken in the future I guess.

Elery put some of the chicken in the smoker, along with half a duck:

I stuffed some poblanos with ground chicken and a little fat free cottage cheese and poured some home canned enchilada sauce over top. The poblanos were from the garden and I ate one, it was nice and mild. The next one about made the steam come from my ears, I don't know why some are hot and some are not. So, Elery finished them up, I was afraid after that, LOL.

And, last night we had roast chicken in the Nesco, with frozen peas and some home canned golden beets that I glazed with a teaspoon of hot pepper jelly and I made some baked chicken breast with spaghetti squash and cabbage because I had "trimmings" left from packing sauerkraut.

Oh and we did have pork chops one day, LOL. Side were aspabroc from the garden and a vegetable medley with zucchini, eggplant and sweet red pepper, as well as a sweet onion. Hey, it's what was in the garden!

Today Elery has a pork butt in the smoker and I'm on my way to the farm to cut broccoli and pick some of those Delicious apples. Dad planted 3 apple trees, all Red Delicious, and they're loaded, so I'm going to try to dehydrate some and then make applesauce. I use applesauce in baking and the kids love the stuff. Maybe some apple butter too...

Annie

• neely
    5 years ago

Wonderful delicious looking cooking going on by all above. Annt’s cabbage rolls remind me that I must make beef olives again soon??

The ‘mice’ in the following photo are roasted baby beetroots with roast sweet potato and a chicken schnitzel. The sauce is a very quick fork mushed up blue cheese in yoghurt.

An Asian broth with chicken, veg and mushrooms ... shiitake and enokitake the long white ones.

The following was a dinner of pickled herring with the same yoghurt and blue cheese sauce.

I am still trying to eat less and more healthily.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Tonight's dinner.

Banger and Mash

A few of Moe's breakfasts.

Homemade toasted baguette with homemade grape jelly. Jelly was made by a friend, and the grapes were grown by another friend.

Thai Green Curry Chicken. Moe's breakfast. And I took some for lunch.

Grilled Pork Chops with caramelized Sweet Potato.

• annie1992
    5 years ago

Neely, I had to smile when I read your "mice" comment, and then I looked and sure enough, there are "mice"! It still sounds good though, I love beets. Elery would prefer the herring, I think...

AnnT, as always, the bread looks perfect but the bangers and mash, oh my!

Here we worked all day replacing fence posts in the pasture, so supper was leftover salmon chowder.

Annie

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

I don't know if I can comment on everyone, it's been a while since I've posted.

Annie, I'm always in awe at the amount of food you freeze. That's a lot of chicken! Do you always freeze them whole, you don't cut them up first? You're so fortunate to have a house big enough for several freezers.

Ann, your grilled chop is to die for. Perfection as always.

It was a nice cool day yesterday and I made sausages in red sauce. Just a quick sauce of ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar and worcestershire.

• annie1992
    5 years ago

Jasdip, I only left one whole, the one I roasted. The rest were all "dismantled" and packaged in parts. The last time I put the parts that equalled a whole chicken in each bag, but we didn't eat a whole chicken and I always had to deal with leftovers. This time it got portioned out: 6 thighs in a bag/6 legs in a bag/2 boneless breasts/12 wings. Backs and necks became stock, I've already canned 14 quarts and 2 pints of stock with the last batch cooling in the refrigerator so I can de-fat it tomorrow and can it.

Elery had smoked a pork butt on Sunday when the kids were over, so tonight's supper was leftover pulled pork and the most recent picking of aspabroc from the garden.

What is that side dish? Baked potato? (She says hopefully, because I just love potatoes)

Annie

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Looks like mac and cheese on my end. Lol

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

On my plate?? No mama, just plain ol' boiled potatoes. The butter hadn't all melted yet when I snapped the pic. But mac and cheese would make a good side with it.......neither of us like it though :-)

• annie1992
    5 years ago

Jasdip, when I was a kid we ate a LOT of potatoes, yet I still love 'em. Grandma would boil a big pot full and we'd mash them with our forks, add butter and salt. She'd use cold leftover potatoes as a snack for hungry kids, grab a cold boiled potato and the salt shaker and it's all good, LOL. They also got used as fried potatoes for breakfast, of course, but a very common snack for me was a cold boiled potato.

Annie

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Jas on on closer inspection on my phone I do see the luscious butter. Yum. I'm sorry I called your potatoes Mac and cheese. LOL.

• cookebook
    5 years ago

Baked fish and roasted broccoli last night.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Annie: regards processing chicken...

I will be harvesting my first ever chickens this coming Sunday morning. A fellow from two towns over will be coming up to help a neighbor harvest her ducks, and teach me how to harvest my own chickens. They should have been in the freezer a month ago, and I don't care how graphic and detailed a YouTube help video is (I have a couple book-marked and will review again on Saturday), this is something I don't want to attempt alone for the first time). I'd had someone planned out for August, but he went south on me (his dog had to keep entering shows...) The neighbor, who has processed and removed entrails and all, will show me and guide me through that part.

6 roosters and one hen. There was a second hen but she was way too friendly, so she's been living with the layers the past three weeks and will stay there. At the moment, four of the seven remaining broilers are way too large and nasty for me to want to even think about doing it myself. Which is why when I am on my ownsome in the future, I'll harvest earlier.

[They are, fortunately, not Cornish Cross, your generic supermarket bird -- which at this point would have probably died of summer heat stroke, or cardiac arrest, or would have had to be put down anyway due to broken legs. They are black (Australorpe hybrid background with some faster growing genes in there) and red (probably red freedom rangers) broilers.]

Annie, I am happy to note I am not alone in this home processing of chickens on this forum. Right now the seven are out free-ranging on grasses and grubs, and their lives for them have been more rewarding than anything ever happening at Tyson.

If you have any pointers, whether you think I've already heard them or not, you can message me.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

A breakfast BLeT: toast, bacon, lettuce, egg, tomato. The bread used for toast was from a mini-loaf that I didn't eat when given it at a restaurant, and I took home and desired this for breakfast. I like the combo of bacon, lettuce and tomato in a warm toasted couple of slices, usually with mayo -- on a visceral level. But here I pan fried the mini-slices of bread in bacon fat (no need for mayo), and added the BLT ingredients... and a fried egg. You can't see the egg here. Since it was a mini-loaf, this was simply a half slice of bacon, with the other half being plate garnish.

From the leg of lamb posted earlier, I had leftover lamb broth. 2 cups, after removing fat. I added roasted brussels sprouts and roasted onions, and didn't need to add extra seasonings. Got two generous servings out of this. (Note, I really seriously prefer Chinese soup spoons to western ones. Much easier to eat from! So...)

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Been away for a bit, busy-busy with remodel which is good! Can’t possibly comment on everything but I can say not a single meal that doesn’t make my mouth water!

Ann, your garlic shrimp and bread to soak up the sauce would be a winner with both of us here.

Annie, so many amazing-looking meals! Your energy level amazes me… 28 chickens! And then you broke them down for freezing, whew! (and you too, artemis_ma?!) Like you not a spicy fan, but that poblano is a thing of beauty : )

Neely, had a great laugh over the mice! Your Asian chicken soup is something I’d eat every day! We call those enoki mushrooms here but haven’t seen them in over 10 years. I can feel the health in that bowl.

Jasdip, your sausage and sauce, the broc, and of course the buttery potatoes… Want. It. Now.

Cookbook, not sure what kind of fish those are, but they look yummy, and if there’s butter in that baking dish, all the yummier!

Artemis_ma… Easy over egg on a BLT? I think you just made BLT’s, wonderful as they are, the best thing in the world! I think it’s great you will be learning how to harvest your own chickens… so envious!

Still no cooking here, and we are moving the temp kitchen boxes from room to room as work continues. I’ve eaten more fast food burgers than I care to admit, one really great chili dog (yeah, I’m losing my mind, aren’t I?), a couple KFC pot pies (the one below is mushed up) which I actually enjoyed (now you all know I’m losing it!), 3 Zaxby salads (which they call Zalads… no comment) which were also decent. And more fries than any human should ever eat. And it continues. I don’t wish to torture anyone, but feel I simply must share my pain ; )

We are almost finished with our little goldfish pond, drywall is up and getting mudded as I type (so clearly I’m not mudding!). Still, most likely won’t be done until Spring… or later. Sure am enjoying seeing all these wonderful meals!

• annie1992
    5 years ago

2many, I actually am pretty good at mudding drywall. I'm slow and meticulous, but it looks good when I'm done! As for that chili dog, well, at least once every summer I go to the local A&W. They still have the carhops that come out to the car and put a tray on your window. I get a chili cheese dog and a frosty mug full of root beer. Then I'm done for a year, but that one chili dog is sure good. As for Zaxby's, we don't have them up here so I'm not familiar, but Elery had their chicken when he went to Tennessee for Aunt Etta's funeral, and he said it was actually pretty good. He had chicken every day he was there, though, and was pretty tired of it by the time he got home. It's one of those foods that you can pretty much figure isn't too unhealthy, a grilled chicken breast, LOL, so he got it every time he had to eat out. Then his sister made chicken and dumplings, and his sister in law fried chicken and there was chicken salad and, well, he came home and wanted chili!

Artemis, the best advice I have is to just do it. Don't watch, be sure you get in there and do it yourself. You can watch YouTube and watch someone else and read every instruction in the world, but you really just have to do it. The first one is slow, the second one is better. By the time you're on three or four, it'll take you a couple of minutes and you'll be done. I'm assuming you are plucking by hand, I have that handy-dandy chicken plucker that Elery bought me for my birthday and it is an amazing time saver, but with seven birds, probably not worth the price. Plucking by hand takes me about 10 minutes per bird, and cleaning another 2 minutes. Scalding is a minute or so, so about 4 birds an hour. The plucker will pluck 2 chickens in less than a minute, so that's very helpful. We did 28 birds in 2 hours, packed on ice and "resting" overnight. It took longer than that to break them down and package them.

I always let them sit on ice for 24 hours or so, it seems to make the birds less stringy and more tender. And don't forget to save the backs/necks for stock. Feet too, if you can get past the thought and trim the nails!

Like you, I'm offended by the life animals have in the commercial food chain, and so I have to raise my own in a humane and sustainable manner. It's not for everyone, but it works for me.

Annie

• cookebook
    5 years ago

Poor 2ManyDiversions! I know you are hating that fast food after all the delicious meals you made in your temporary kitchen! I made a rice salad last night.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Annie, "I actually am pretty good at mudding drywall" I believe that, seems like you can do pretty much everything! I've watched the drywall finisher a bit, mostly working so can't see it all. Thus far, I'd not have attempted without seeing it first (metal corners, ceilings, corners, California patches), but next project I may give it all a try : ) Me? I don't care to hear about the 'stuff' in hot dogs, but I admit, I have the occasional desire for a chili slaw dog ; )

Cookebook, speaking of hot dogs, my Mom made a meal with hot dogs and rice that resembles yours so much, and I think I see chicken in yours... which means I can sub chicken for that recipe : ) You have more veg in yours though, so I think I might have to try celery and various veg's! Yup, hating it! But truthfully, seeing all the meals here makes me feel a whole lot better!

• bragu_DSM 5
    5 years ago

goodbye 364 ... hello 365 .... best wishes to all, and to all, more good eats ....

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!