SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

I need suggestions for a replacement medium-tall tree

The 30-some year old ornamental pear finally (after surviving Hurricane Ike, a severe derecho storm, 2+ feet of snow, ice storms that took out power poles, and countless strong thunderstorms) split and fell. I've had it removed, but the house seems naked and I am already missing the shade it provided. Really, considering their reputation for being weak trees that shouldn't be planted, it did pretty well. Might have lasted longer if I'd gotten the arborist out this summer to thin the canopy-- just hadn't gotten around to it.

The front of the house where is was faces full south, although the pear did get partial afternoon shade from the neighbor's very large maple.. This house is a 2 story with what I'd call a half-height attic. The pear was several feet taller than the roofline so really helped keep the A/C bill down. Maybe 30-40 feet?

Our soil is alkaline clay -- moist in late winter and spring but pretty dry at intervals at this time of year. The waterline is only about 8 feet away from the site (the pear never got its roots into it). The site is exposed to southerly and westerly wind but somewhat protected from Northwesterly (the prevailing winter winds)

Any suggestions for a replacement? I would like one that would get tall enough to shade the roof again, but not as big as a maple, oak, hickory etc; tolerates full sun with some shade in the afternoon; can tolerate my soil (some I have looked at need more acidic or moister soil). Oh, since I live with a honey locust that drops 3-4 garbage cans full of pods every fall, I'd prefer minimal to no seed pods like that. The pear's fruit tended to sprout in the lawn too much but was otherwise not a problem. Edible fruit I wouldn't mind -- like a cherry?

A local nursery has suggested "purple robe" locust or hornbeam -- I'm not familiar with either

Comments (22)