SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacressercaj

Need ONE special, tall, tree - Tips / Suggestions welcome, please :)

jacressercaj
8 years ago

Hello,

I'm looking for tips on picking the perfect tree. I was originally thinking a Royal Empress (paulownia), but when reading the forum about it's invasive tendencies, so many commenters said there are many other, better trees that are non-invasive. So...what are they?

Ideally, I'd like something that can withstand high winds, grow moderately quick, non-invasive, non-aggressive roots, canopy shape, leaves year-round, thrives easily, and if it's not too much to ask (lol), something that has a little "pop" (or a lot) of color (e.g., florets). In other words, I'm really looking for that "wow" factor...a majestic, symbolic tree. Think: fountain, hammock, serenity, and bliss, lol. I just need one, special tree who will stand as a diamond among the other jewels.

I have plenty of space, and I already have many Japanese maples (my favorite!), magnolias, flowering Cherry & Olive Trees in the yard, with some sequoia sempervirens in the backdrop. I live in zone 9b, coastal California. There isn't a lot of rain (so no recommendations for a willow), but the soil is sandy, & decently draining. Plenty of sun. Weather is really good -- moderate summers & never freezes.

Let's use this forum to discuss your favorite, perfect tree for my selfish benefit?? ;) Thanks for the tips & suggestions.

Comments (22)