SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsroc

In desperate need of tree suggestions... Pics included...

lindsroc
12 years ago

Hello, I am new to the boards but have received some great advice in the landscaping and N.E. forums so figured I would ask here for some suggestions on trees. We live in Mass and recently purchased our 1st home. It was overrun with trees/vines and weeds and just about everything was ripped out. There is one remaining tree in the middle of the yard, no idea what it is but to me its not pleasing to look at. We also have a random tall skinny tree in the left corner. We are looking to remove both trees and plant something that makes sense and will offer some color as well as privacy and shade. We have been a little nervous talking about removing this tree because it does provide a lot of shade in the summer but I would love 2 or 3 colorful trees in the front. I have looked into red maple, sugar maple, crabapple and dogwood. I was thinking a large tree dead center flanked by 2 smaller ornamental trees one on each corner? We are on the corner of a main road so are really looking for some privacy as well. I have attached pics. I am 100% new to any form of gardening or landscaping so if I sound naive its because I am. :) Any help is greatly appreciated.

PS, we have plans to reconstruct the stone wall, 6 inches of top soil, and hyrdoseed for April. We need to decide on the tree prior to any of this taking place. After trees are in place, we can landscape. Also please note I just recently painted the doors a dark red and would love anything with a red or white color to it.

{{gwi:10779}}

{{gwi:10778}}

View from inside. Any idea what this tree is? Would love the trees (along with shrubs etc) to block the view of the road.

{{gwi:10788}}

The red line is our property line, to give an idea of how much room we have. The lot is 100ft x 100ft

{{gwi:13403}}

Comments (17)