SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Daughter's Cooking While Backpacking Abroad - A Continuing Thread

John Liu
7 years ago

Daughter-san has started a year of backpacking in Europe.

After a summer of running the kitchen at the Berkeley Family Camp, at about 8000 feet in the Sierras, she came home, loaded her backpack and flew to Frankfurt two weeks ago. Naturally I watched her flight's progress on Flightracker and waited anxiously for her phone's GPS location to appear on Find My iPhone. No, I'm not over protective.

She stayed a night in a Frankfurt airport hostel, had her first legal beer and texted me a photo of the bottle, flew to Copenhagen, stayed in a hostel three nights, then flew to Berlin, where she met up with her college friend. The two girls stayed with a pair of local students that she got in contact with through a childhood friend, and had a great time exploring Berlin's flea markets, music festivals, nightclubs, street scene, museums . . . I'm tired just thinking about it.

Obviously, she hasn't been doing much cooking. Street food, cheap meals from grocery stores, and the occasional splurge at an inexpensive cafe have been her meals.

Last night she made a going away dinner for her hosts. She decided to make an Asian-ish meal, since the boys don't get much of that. The presentation isn't much - paper plates in a dingy student flat - but I thought I'd share.

Her photo and text narrative:

Tomorrow she and her friend are headed to France, where they will live and work for a month with a family on their organic farm and bakery. I expect to get more photos of things she cooks and bakes, and will post them here.

Comments (82)