SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Culinary School For Daughter's Gap Year?

John Liu
8 years ago

Here is a slightly tangential question for you all.

As I've mentioned, dear daughter has worked in the kitchen at the City of Berkeley family camp for the last four summers. This summer she is Head of Kitchen and is enjoying it so much. She creates recipes, designs and schedules the meals, does much of the cooking, trains and supervises her assistant cooks, make special dietary meals upon request, runs the kitchen, and so on. They feed up to 140 people a day, and the food has gotten great reviews so far. She works six days a week, 10 hours a day, and thrives on it.

This fall, she'll go back to school for her sophomore year of college. Major still undecided but will probably be writing or art. After sophomore year, she plans to take a year off. She wants to spend time traveling, writing, drawing, and thinking more about what she wants to do.

One thing she's been thinking about doing is going to a culinary school program, maybe in France since she is fluent in French. Not sure if this would be a full year program, or a six month program. Not sure if the goal would be serious commercial-type training, or sort of a foodie enthusiast school.

So part of me is thinking, great, she'll spend a year in Paris or Lyon or whereever, making friends and learning to cook, sounds fun! Part of me is thinking oh no, she'll get sucked into the food industry and never finish college. Part of me is thinking, cool, she'll be a writer with a subject to write about. Part of me is thinking oh no, she'll get sucked into the food industry and never finish college. Part of me is thinking, perfect, she'll have a great gap year, then go back to school with an important life skill. Etc etc.

Any thoughts? Any suggestions? Anyone do this, or have a friend or kid do this?

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!