SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shannon01_gw

Advise on finding a school

Shannon01
13 years ago

So we are thinking about my dd going to a different highschool due to the issues she has had. I did not even realize we have to register for the school, just thought it was automatic.

We are thinking about a preforming arts school or something. I was going to call the district and speak with someone there but wondered if anyone has any thougths to pass on. Do they do placement tests, how do you choose?

I do not want to speak with the current school counselor due to her poor handling of my dd's situation in the past.

Comments (19)

• User
    13 years ago

Every area is different. In our area, there are no charter schools or private high schools, only public schools. The good public schools are very full, and it is not a "sure thing" to be able to transfer from one school to another. The school district has an "attendence director" and there is a formal waitlist process to go through if someone wants to transfer. There are also requirements about having good grades, good behavior, etc for the privelage of transferring. (at least that's what it says on the policy). I know in some urban areas you are not even guaranteed a transfer, even if your school is "failing" re No child left behind. In many places where the charter schools are popular, the children must take tests to "qualify" to get in. I think it is so area specific it may be hard for anyone to offer exact advice. I would definitely contact the school you are interested in and see what they say, in addition to finding and talking with some other transfer parents.

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

I don't know what issues your daughter is having, so I don't know what the impetus is for the change.

For the performing arts school in my state (and there is also a math and science version in another city) the kids have to audition to get in (or test in if you're a math & science person). I think they might also need recommendations. It is a public school, but run by the state rather than a local school district. It is also residential for kids who don't live in the same city.

Is there a particular fine art or performing art that your daughter is focused on? Because if there isn't, and she just feels like she'll be "more comfortable" among the artsy kids, I don't think it's the place for her. It's a lot of work in your chosen concentration, plus your regular core subjects. it's quite competitive. I'm not sure if there is an option to come in mid-year. You'll just have to contact the school and find out.

• Related Discussions

Need Advise for School Fundraiser/Heirloom Tomato Sale

Q

Comments (3)
    I am a teacher and we did this for an activity I got a small grant for. We grew about 100-150 plants, tomatoes and peppers. If you have never grown plants from seed, I would start now small. There is a learning curve. I wouldn't try the first time be when you start 2,000. I am a market gardener and have grown my own transplants for over 10 years now. First of all, you would need to start them in small flats, 98's to a 1020 tray would be a good size then pot them up into either 2401's or 3601's trays that you could break apart to sell. Greenhouse Megastore is just one source for these trays. I would suspect you would want to grow single plants and not 4 packs. As most people will plant 4 tomatoes, but they want them to be 4 different tomatoes. You can grow these plants to sellable size under flourescent shop lights. Just make sure you use 2 four foot lights for every 4 trays. I would grow a variety of shapes and colors. Jay
    ...See More

Parenting advise needed: 14 yr. old and missing assignments

Q

Comments (14)
    OMG, I have so been there. The child who carries around completed assignments, not turning them in, until they are lost. He'd lose his own head if it weren't attached, I tell ya... And he's only in 6th grade. I'm fearful of high school. First, I told him that he had two choices - I can go to school with him and make SURE he turns things in, or we could figure out a system that would work for him. Of course he chose the second option, lol. He's required to have one big binder for all of his classes and as a result, the thing is like the black hole. Things go in and go into the abyss. I assume he looks for things in class but just gets frustrated and decides he doesn't have it. So, we went and got a sturdy thin folder with pockets on the inside. This is the HOMEWORK FOLDER. The left side is labeled for assignments TO DO. The right side is assignments TO TURN IN. This is kept totally separate from the black hole. Nothing else is allowed in that folder but assignments that are done at home. We've had a bit of an issue with him putting things into the homework folder while he's at school (they sometimes get shoved into the binder), but at least at home I can make sure that all of the assignments he did that evening get put into the homework folder TO TURN IN pocket. And there they are supposed to stay until they are turned in. That way when he's in class he doesn't have to fish through the black hole, just pull out that folder and there it is. It's not foolproof, but it's definitely helped.
    ...See More

WHere to find small school house pendants?

Q

Comments (5)
    I was loooking for the same thing and ended up with this shade: http://www.schoolhouseelectric.com/shades-detail.asp?ShadeID=185&all=0 with this fixture http://www.rejuvenation.com/fixshowC162/templates/selection.phtml?n=v&custom_code=jxuf&tab=specs But you have to get incandescent bulbs -- no CF. Good luck.
    ...See More

school attendance update

Q

Comments (10)
    Our district has zero tolerance for exceeding the limits - absolutely none. Apparently one of the kids had to switch to online charter school because he was going to automatically fail for missing too many days - because he had made the US Olympic team, and was in Beijing! I wonder if your school district is picking and choosing if/when to follow their policies. I know a lot of times here if there is chronic truancy that repeatedly ends up in court, the kids wind up in "the system". If the school district is not clear on the fact that SD's have another home in which they could be living, maybe they are comparing whether or not they think the girls living at BM's is better or worse than them living in foster care?
    ...See More
  • CaroleOH
    13 years ago

I think if you call the school district's main office number and ask what high school options are available in your district and what the requirements/enrollment rules are they probably have a booklet or something to send you.

In Ohio, most school districts have their own website and you can go online and see not only what's going on at the school, but they have information on registration rules etc.

• jay06
    13 years ago

I think of performing arts high schools as more of a "calling" for talented students rather than alternative schools. I know that several posters have suggested family counseling in the past. You may already be doing this, but taking advantage of professional counseling may offer your family the best suggestions regarding schooling.

• geogirl1
    13 years ago

Performing arts HS's are rare; it really depends where you live as to what your options will be. One google search would really answer the questions you posted here or a quick visit to your school district's website.

Normally, the performing arts HS has academic requirements that are "average" or below average; so getting into a competative college if she decides she does not wish to persue arts in the future, or finds her "talent" level is not high enough actually move forward in the world of arts, will be made a bit more difficult.

Having said that, if she does exhibit a high level of talent (a wonderful thing!) Arts HS's usually have different areas of speciality: dance, music, art, theater, writing. The student has to apply specifically to the specialty area and submit work or perform. Transportation to the school, if it is outside her regular district, will be on you. You will drive her everyday until she gets her driver's license and a car for herself.

I agree with Jakeabedy, family counceling appears in order. You seem to be trying to "fix" a problem from the outside in, rather than from the inside out. Arts HSs are full of more "alternative" kind of kids. There will be many, many wonderful talented students there. There will also be the same element in that school as you encounter in her current schools: kids who behave in ways that are attractive to your DD, but not to you. You will be more out of the loop with those kids, because you will not know their families, or get calls from neighbors. This will be a spread out and discontected community of parents. Much more opportunity for kids to do what they want.

Please, please take your DD for testing for learning differences and for family couciling. The problem is something to do with HER and your family; not with the "bad" environment around her.

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

Just a very quick two cents... at least in our area, private school applications for fall are mostly due in January or early February, so you may already be late for Sept. admissions. But maybe different areas and different types of schools have different schedules.

• Shannon01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is why I posted. I got a few ideas already.

DD has expressed wanting to go elsewhere to get a fresh start, not be around the kids who have been part of her problems. She has a few friends who have done this and are actually much happier.

She is very creative in many ways but no phenom by any means. There are a few schools I have heard of that are different than regular HS. One has a tech/art/culinary focus. She really liked the idea of this type of schooling. But.... I agree about some of the comments here about it being more of a "calling" and that the families and students will come from all over and we won't know them, etc. Good points.

Reading some of the feedback has helped me think about a few things. Too much change may be too stressful for her at this time but the stress of being with the boys who have been part of her problems is stressing her a lot too.

I think I am going to speak with the district, that is probably a good place to start, at least to see what is out there in case we find we need to do this for her.

I don't want to get too specific but we are seeing professionals. Just admitting she needed help was really hard for her to do. That first step always is. She has gone from "you can take me somewhere but I won't talk to them" to "I want to figure all this out so I can move on and be done with it". We are not trying to fix things on the outside without fixing the inside, we are just considering some things that might have to be done on the outside so that she can heal inside. Hope that makes sense.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

• geogirl1
    13 years ago

I am so happy to hear that your daughter is seeking professional advice. I hope that your family can move forward and create a happy and healthy life together. Best wishes.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

The important thing is she finds a therapist/counselor she likes and connects with in some point so she will talk to them. She may only want a female. May not care if he's male. But she has to trust them to talk to them, and the first step to trusting someone is liking/being comfortable around him/her. Also know the first or second therapist she meets may not be "the one" to stick with long term.

Normally, the performing arts HS has academic requirements that are "average" or below average;

Not so in our area. They have above average academic requirements. HS level fine art schools can be very intense environments.

Are there any private church schools in your area? What about homeschooling? Sometimes there are homeschooling alternatives where you are not the teacher. But beware that some local schools like this have many "troubled" youths in them, and that may not be something you want her included in daily.

I feel for you. Our three children went to a top rated city school. DD1 did fine until HS. Hated it. Had trouble with boys saying things to her. Petite, shy, didn't talk much. People thought she was a b*tch because she didn't talk. Well, she was shy. Even the girls in bible study were ugly to her. Looking back, we should have removed her from the system. She went on to college and excelled, but it was touch for more than a few years.

DD2 was "okay" her Sophomore year, but did not want to go back to the school her Junior year. We looked into ASFA (local fine arts school) but she decided not to apply. Her best friend since 5th grade's mother taught at a local homeschooling program that used Oak Meadow. We agreed to let her try it that summer and she was finished with her Junior subjects before fall. Not wanting to send a 16yo into the lion's den with 17 and 18yo, she did not return to the HS. (fyi, always a good idea to find out if the HS will excpet the credits for classes taken from the homeschooling program. Hers did, but she did not want to go back.)

She became a nanny for a 2yo (divorced Navy woman in town to attend Grad School) for 2 years and finished her Senior year during that time.

Homeschooling programs are not a walk in the park. If your daughter is not self-motivated it may not work out well for her. It takes discipline to do the work required (including physical education, etc) but DD2 doesn't regret it.

Also, some believe it's harder to get into a good college by homeschooling, but that is not true.

Good luck to your DD.

• punamytsike
    13 years ago

In FL they have virtual high school that is public school anyone in FL can attend for free.
    Just another thing to look into, in case your DD is self motivated.
    Good luck :)

• sovra
    13 years ago

If you're working with a good counselor, I would think that he/she would either know about schools in your area or would know how to get that information. In fact, I would be concerned about a professional who didn't. To me, that seems like it would be basic knowledge for a good, experienced counselor who works with kids in your daughter's age range. He/she should also be able to advise you on specific schools that might be better fits for her.

One other thought: personally, I would be cautious about sending someone who's "creative in many ways, but no phenom" to a school that's focused on the performing arts. I didn't go to a performing arts high school, but I did participate in a number of academic summer programs. All of the classes I took assumed that we were starting at an advanced point, and were able to proceed rapidly from there. I think that someone who wasn't ready for that sort of environment would have been lost, both from a learning standpoint and from a social one. If your assessment is accurate, a performing arts school could be a setback.

(Could you be so used to her talents that you just don't see them as being as special as they are?)

• golddust
    13 years ago

You may want to contact your County Superintendent of Schools, verses your district office. They should have a list of all the schools available in your area. The district office may only have schools within your immediate district.

• Bethpen
    13 years ago

Shannon,
    I think it sounds like a great idea for you and your daughter to investigate different schooling options. As well as counseling. It is very brave of her to step up and admit she needs some help.

Our daughter was an average student at our local HS. There was major construction going on, as well as bomb threats, and vandalism. She did OK, but because she's a good kid, quiet and well behaved, she was pretty much invisible.

We have a Charter School nearby that does the IB curriculum. She applied and was accepted (for free) her Sophomore year. It literally changed her life. Never in her life was she expected to work as hard as she did at that school and she reveled in it. There were lots of kids there who just couldn't fit in at a regular high school. A couple cross-dressers, lots of goth-y kids, and a lot of just regular kids who don't play sports and don't party.

I can't say enough about what a good choice that was for her.

Good luck with your search.

Beth P.

• Shannon01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sovra- hope you do not think I might be offended by your last comment. You make a good point. I guess we feel that she has potential but may be unable to fully expand on anything due to whatever is going on in her head. We definitely don't want to set her up to fail. I think what we really need to know at this point is what is available so when we decide what to do we will already know what school fits her, even if it is the regular one in our area.

Golddust, wondered if you would comment since we are in same area, kinda. We are in the Roseville Joint HS district, the Dry Creek for elem. I think you are right on who to call so we can have a much bigger list to work from.

• golddust
    13 years ago

Around here, Charter schools fill up fast. If I were you, I'd get your DD's name on every school roster you are remotely interested in ASAP. If you decide later, not to attend the school she is accepted to, they will just move to another kid on the list.

You have priority to attend charter schools within your immediate district but that still doesn't mean she will get in. Jump on it immediately. The charter schools in our area have waiting lists.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

First thing I would do is get online and do a search for your town and county. They will list all schools, not just public schools.

If you see a school that might be interesting, call them.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if she goes to a performing arts school and those kids are very talented in various arts, you need to think about your daughter's self-esteem if she doesn't have a specific talent.

• deegw
    13 years ago

Shannon - You have posted a lot about your daughter and I may have missed if this was discussed. Have you had her tested for adhd, adhd inattentive or for a learning disability? If she does have one of these conditions you are still going to have the same issues no matter where she goes to school.

My 16 yo was diagnosed with adhd inattentive this past summer. Junior year she had 1400 SATs yet was failing two classes and she was VERY frustrated. The diagnosis and meds have been a God send.

• mboston_gw
    13 years ago

Our district has had a Performing Arts High School for over 10 years now. It isn't easy to get in - most of the students have had years of lessons in music or dance or have been involved in the arts prior to high school. In fact our county has an elementary/middle school for the arts as well. Their (high school) academic classes are held with regular high school students as they share a campus. Most are very good students to begin with as they have to be able to handle all the extra hours of practice in their chosen field. We have had a number who have gone on to perform on Broadway, on TV, and even to be professional ballerinas (directly from high school!) If you can't keep up your grades, then you eventually have to transfer out to your assigned high school. Our county also has an IB school as part of another high school campus and you have to have exceptional grades and test scores to be admitted. Our regular high schools have a variety of programs for different interests such as culinary arts, vocational interests, etc. We do have a charter school system here that focus on technology. Then there are programs for kids who want to take college classes while still in high school - they graduate with their diploma and their AA at the same time. Then we have the virtual high school. Like someone said, you have to be very motivated to do well in that arena.

I hope you find an answer and glad to hear that you are searching for answers to help your daughter. Good luck!

• riosamba
    13 years ago

Are there any girls' schools in your area? That might be a very positive learning environment for her.

What traits does she value and respect in herself? Are there schools that will allow her to develop those traits/strengths?