SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Britishisms continued, again

rosefolly
18 years ago

Don't know if this will work, or if it will be permitted, but thought it was worth a try. This is the whole thread copied and pasted. I don't think it is against the rules, and it is a way to have it continue once the administrators discover how long it has grown.

Britishisms, continued

Posted by woodnymph2 (My Page) on Tue, May 17, 05 at 11:52

I've long been puzzled by liturgical calendar terms I've found in reading various British novels.

I don't think Americans use the same terms for the same holidays. For example, last Sunday was Penticost. (In the Episcopal church I attended, we were told to wear red. I've no idea why).

I seem to recall the British term would be "Whitsunday." I'm wondering if the "Whit" is related to "White" and why?

Going along with this theme, I've come across the term "Michaelmas Daisies". (What sort of flower are these and what and when is Michaelmas?)

Another one: "Candlemas." I've no idea what this is, yet have seen it in books. When and why did Americans drop these liturgical terms, I wonder?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Britishisms, continued

Posted by: gandbb (My Page) on Tue, May 17, 05 at 12:19

You will get more detailed answers I am sure. I am not British. Pentecost and Whitsunday celebrate the same day - the descent of the Holy Spirit. Pentecost just refers to 50 days. Christians wear red in remembrance of the tongues of fire described in Acts. Jews celebrate that day as thanksgiving for the first fruits of the harvest. Christians celebrate that day for the first fruits of the holy spirit. In England, Pentecost has come to be called Whitsunday, because it is one of the days on which a person could be baptized and one wore white for that occasion.

The "mas" in most of your questions is shortened from "mass". Michaelmas is the day on which the mass is celebrated for St. Michael. The daisies bloom at about that time. Candlemas is the anniversary of the day of Mary's purification. Under Jewish law, a woman had to seclude herself for 40 days after the birth of a child and then go to the temple for purification by prayer and sacrifice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE: Britishisms, continued

Posted by: VeeR (My Page) on Tue, May 17, 05 at 12:37

Mary, Pentecost and Whitsun are the same thing but 'Pentecost' comes from the Greek ie the fiftieth day after Passover and its other name Whitsun seems to be 'old English' and according to the dictionary may refer to the ancient custom of wearing white for baptism.

Michaelmas (an old Quarter Day) 29th Sept is the feast of St Michael and over here used to be a time of fairs and feasting (you may remember we talked about those customs here a while ago). My father used to order a Michaelmas goose which was cooked at a local pub and eaten with a group of his male friends! Nottingham still has a 'Goose Fair' each year.

Comments (88)

• friedag
    18 years ago

Heh! Janalyn, that very same line threw me when I was reading "The Zanzibar Chest" too. You know I'm not British, but I managed to figure out everything but the "turd knocking." Let me find my notes.~~~~~~~~To stook, according to my dictionary, is gathering sheaves of corn (corn can be wheat, maize, or any other kind of grain on long stalks) and fashioning them into bundles that are then stood upright on their cut ends. These are sometimes called "shocks," as in shocks of corn.~~~~~~~~Clamps are temporary storage places for root crops, such as turnips, mangles, swedes, and potatoes. Pits are dug in the fields where the crops are harvested, usually, or in some other handy location. The crops are piled into the pits and then covered over with the earth excavated from the pits. These clamps can be up to 2 metres tall.~~~~~~~~Topping and tailing is the action of cutting off the top leaves and sprouts (topping) and cutting off the roots (tailing) from vegetables -- in this case mangles, the word being a shortened form of Mangelwurzel, which is literally translated from the German as beet + root. Mangles, or mangels, are usually used as cattle fodder as they are too pithy for table use.~~~~~~~~Britons, please correct me if any of the above is wrong.~~~~~~~~~Janalyn, I've kicked around several ideas what "turd knocking" could be, too!!~~~~~~~~The lack of formatting is driving me BONKERS!!!

• janalyn
    18 years ago

Bless you, Frieda, you font/fount of knowledge and great scribe of all obscure things! The next time I am in Hawaii, I will search you out and treat you to several Mai Tais and we will shock the bar patrons by discussing our new business, a "sure thing", Turd Knocking. Now if someone could tell us what it is....

• Related Discussions

French & British Apples - Heat & Sun Sensitivity

Q

Comments (17)
    I believe a caonopy absorbs much more UV than clouds. No one ever got a sunburn while sitting under a shady tree. There is tremendous growth in a rainforest during weather with almost constant cloud cover. In my zone I've found enough overlap between earliest and latest varieties that I don't even worry about the issue anymore. The further south you go the less overlap and the longer the overall blooming period. Scott mentions Roxbury Russet, which is another interesting cooking variety originating in the northeast. Also very good eating. It is a very reliable cropper (in the sunny conditions I've always grown it) and somehow less attractive to coddling moth and wasps than other Russets like Golden and Hudson's Golden Gem. That is in my area- who knows about how these pests act elsewhere? I have a client couple that makes huge quantities of apple sauce that considers RR inexpendable in their blend that also includes Spy and Baldwin. Not sure if the texture holds up real well, though. My memory suggests pretty well.
    ...See More

Yellow flowers on beach in British Columbia

Q

Comments (2)
    oops... here's a "clickable" link... Here is a link that might be useful: http://youtu.be/mOhyCo5qjHU
    ...See More

Greetings from British Columbia Canada

Q

Comments (27)
    Thank you again ladies for the welcome! I truly appreciate it. You are not so far from me Vanislegirl. I just had an email from my dear daughter DIL who is in Victoria now. My son and DIL live in Washington State, but my grandson lives in a house they have in Victoria. I believe it is on Magestic Dr. We were in Victoria last summer to visit Butchart Gardens - my other passion - gardening. I love the Island and would move there in a heartbeat. I'm surprised there are so many Canadians visiting and taking part in this forum. So nice to know! Actually, the name "Missflippins" was chosen because when I joined garden web a few years back I visited the rose forum often and had just acquired a beautiful little miniature rose called "Miss Flippins". I believe the hybridizer of the wee rose named it for his grand daughter who like to do acrobats and flips. Best Wishes - Corinne
    ...See More

Use of chemicals in British gardens

Q

Comments (12)
    mariannese: I find it extraordinary that Swedish gardeners use 10 times more "cides" than Swedish farmers (though I'm not in the U.K.). I would have to guess the reverse would be true in the U.S. Specifically, farmers use far more "cides" in the U.S. so they can grow more crops (easier) and bring a better-looking crop to market. Many are into "no-till" farming here--which begins with "spraying down" (accumulated) weeds in the beginning of a growing season, with chemical herbicides. Herbicides and pesticides are used to avoid the intensive labor of tilling weeds and hand-picking insects. Since World War II, chemical companies have done an excellent job of instilling the idea in farmers' minds that chemicals make for more and easier growing, and are therefore, a necessity. Also, since a farmer's livelihood depends on his ability to produce marketable crops, many conventional farmers feel compelled to use cides, to sustain themselves and their families. Strangely (or not), I know many conventional farmers who use cides on their commercial crops but do not use them on their home garden crops. Of course there is a small percentage that is ambivalent to the use of cides on home (kitchen) garden crops, but a majority of home gardeners in this country seem to have the good sense not to dump poison on the food they intend to eat, before eating it. (I certainly hope I'm not giving gardeners here more credit than they deserve; but of the fairly-large numbers of gardeners I know, I find this to be true.)
    ...See More
  • veer
    18 years ago

Janalyn, Frieda seems to have summed up all the above phrases very neatly although the only 'obscure' one to me is 'turd knocking' (I am surprised such a vulgar word gets past the delicate sensibilites of the Guardians of this site). Given the context of the piece I think he means 'muck spreading' when the manure from the cow sheds is cleared out and spread on the fields, usually in early spring .. . a time around here to keep the windows closed. Sometimes called 'sh*t shovelling' although that really applies to any unpleasant job. . . ~ . .. ~ . . . ~ . . . . ~ .. ..~ . . .. ~ . .. .~ .. . . ~. . . . . . ~ . . . .~ . . . FRIEDA. Sorry to have to repeat this . . . your email didn't arrive (see above) re the F's of N.

• annpan
    18 years ago

Do not read this while eating!........"Knockers" used to be men who called at the house for something, from door-knocking, I suppose. Perhaps a turd knocker collected night soil. (The solid contents of a chamber-pot used as manure.) I am reading Wives and Daughters and Gaskell mentions a side door in the manor house used by the servants for taking out the manure.........This is probably 'more than you want to know'!

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

Time to revive this thread. You folk across the pond, if you have not yet drowned,;-) could you please explain the follwing term encountered in some English books? In a Miss Read novel, the teacher complains that her associates are "a rum lot." To an American ear, this might sound as if they are all in their cups, but somehow, I don't think so....

• ccrdmrbks
    16 years ago

"a rum lot" would be a shady, shifty group of ne'er do wells, I believe.

• ginny12
    16 years ago

I read thru this entire thread looking for one word. Hope someone of the British persuasion is reading this who can answer. The final Harry Potter uses the word "snogging" a number of times. While it obviously has something to do with romantic entanglements, I can't quite get the meaning. Can't be too bad as these are children's books, after all.

• veer
    16 years ago

ginny 'snogging' is what I think teenagers in the US call 'necking'(and I hate both expressions!)

Mary, a 'rum lot' or a 'rum do' means something rather strange/odd or even 'whacky'. A 'do' is one of those wonderful English words that have endless meanings. So a 'bit of a do' or 'we went to a do last night' "Sorry I'm late home Darling, but there was a do for someone leaving the office" means a party/get-together and a 'fancy do' means a grand party, dinner-dance, right up to Cinderella's ball and where you stick the embossed invitation up on the mantelpiece for all to admire.

• ginny12
    16 years ago

Thank you, Vee. I guess the terms applied to that activity are legion. Just didn't know if there was some other spin to it.

• leel
    16 years ago

I believe that 'necking' is for the older generations; more currently it's 'making out.' --Which doesn't sound too great either!!

• ginny12
    16 years ago

I was afraid to pursue the topic but I agree. My parents' generation, the WW2 generation, used the word necking. My generation, the 60s, called it making out. But I'm always afraid to use these phrases because of what they might mean to others. The Victorians used "making love" to mean casting longing gazes at each other and batting eyelashes. The term has certainly proceeded apace since then.

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

There is an even older term for this which used to be used in the U.S. -- "Spooning." ( I first heard about it from some older southern relatives).

• veer
    16 years ago

ginny 'making love', as you suggest, seems to be an expression that would be considered rather coy today in this age of up-front, anything goes. I am now so long in the tooth I don't know what the current UK jargon is for these 'acts of intimacy' and, even if I did it is very likely too rude to use on a site like this.
    The expression bonking (do nor confuse with bonkers=mad) seems to be an acceptable term as I read in the 'Times' newspaper the other day.
    The reporter was writing a piece on the bad behaviour of English 'youth' holidaying on the Spanish 'Costa's' and wrote something along the lines of "These teenagers, after drinking 10 pints of cheap booze, if not vomiting in the gutter, can be found cementing their newly-formed 15 minute relationships with a quick bonk against the trunk of the nearest car."
    And to think the '60's were considered a decadent decade.

• lemonhead101
    16 years ago

I have heard "spooning" for when two people cuddle on a bed and lie close like spoons in a draw.

• carolyn_ky
    16 years ago

I heard a funny story, supposed to be true, of a couple of girls going home from college at Christmastime by train. They were sharing a sleeping compartment, and, of course, it was cold. The second girl, coming from the bathroom after changing, jumped into the bed and said, "It's so cold; let's sleep spoon-style." But she had jumped into the wrong compartment, and the occupant was male. She made a quick getaway, but he did recognize her the next morning. He was also a college student, and they ended up getting married.

• Kath
    16 years ago

Of course, a common Australian term for 'acts of intimacy' is a trap for Americans, as for them it means to support a sporting team.

Here, one would never say 'I root for the Crows".

• veer
    16 years ago

Kath, a similar easy to make mistake happened to a friend of mine newly arrived in Canada and working in a small neighbourhood drug store.
    An embarrassed youth, asked in a whisper for some 'rubber goods' and she, thinking he meant what you in N America call erasers, directed him to the stationery counter.
    An even bigger blunder happened when she was invited to join the local tennis club, home to the town's social elite.
    Once she got to know the younger members she foolishly (and loudly) asked if any of them would care to join her in a pre-match knock-up (in English a warm up before a game)

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

Fond recollections of staying in an Italian ski resort in the Sixties, where there was a plethora of Brits. One says to my American room-mate and I: "Would you like to be knocked up tomorrow morning?" ;-)

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

Another query: will someone from across the Pond tell this American what "lardy cake" is?

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

I guess no one reads this thread?

• ginny12
    16 years ago

Now, now, of course they do. But at the moment, evidently not a Brit with an answer to your query. I am American and never heard of lardy cake but just Googled it and there were lots of hits. According to that info, it's a cake that originates in Wiltshire in the West Country. That is or was a pig farming area and lard is a fat that comes from pigs. Lardy cake is heavy on the lard. It also includes lots of fruits and spices so seems to be a sort of lard-based fruit cake, eaten with tea. Not so good for the cholesterol count, I'm afraid.

That's all from reading quickly. I can attest to lard as the best possible shortening for pastry making. My MIL always used it for her apple pies and lemon tarts and they were incomparable.

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

Hello, ginny, thanks. I came across the term when reading some of the "Miss Read" books. Somehow, I never thought of googling it. Anyway, it's more interesting to get a personal response, IMO. Certainly, it's "heart attack" food!

• ginny12
    16 years ago

Yes, you are right--it is much more interesting to get personal replies with memories of family and friends. I hope some appear here soon. You've got my curiosity up, for sure.

• veer
    16 years ago

Mary, sorry I didn't notice your request for info re lardy cakes as pronto as you might have liked.
    You are both correct, they are not for anyone on a diet or in the last phase of heart failure.
    I also had to look up a recipe (below) and I didn't realise they came from Wiltshire, a county well-known for its pigs, pork, sausages etc. Now not nearly so attractive an area as Salisbury Plain is the training ground for much of the British Army and a country stroll may involve tanks and the squashing of small family pets.
    I have only ever eaten 'boughten' lardy cakes which tend to be greasy and very heavy, they must be much nicer if fresh from the oven and home-made.
    No doubt they provided extra calories for all those Ancient Britons building Stonehenge. Perhaps the stale ones were used in its underpinnings?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lardy Cakes

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

Vee, thanks for the interesting post. These cakes do sound delicious. I noticed the recipe calls for "strong" flour. I am not wondering what that is and what would be its opposite?

• veer
    16 years ago

Mary 'strong' flour is the sort you use in bread making.

• carolyn_ky
    16 years ago

Too much work for me, but at the next virtual party . . .

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

I often come across an expression that sounds British to me, but I am not sure. What exactly does it mean when one says "so and so is rather twee."?

• veer
    16 years ago

Mary, the dictionary definition of twee is "excessively sentimental, sweet or pretty" but it can also be used to describe for eg the sort of adult who refuses to grow-up and keeps a collection of teddy bears on their bed, or a house that is full of knick-knacks, layers of lace curtains at the windows and doilies under every saucer, plate, mug, or a garden full of little plastic gnomes and 'cute' animals, or the person who still uses 'baby talk' although they are well-past forty seven. There is also the certain sort of English man, rather effeminate, that probably keeps a silk handkerchief tucked into his cuff.
    Does this ring any bells?

• martin_z
    16 years ago

Vee - or the young couple who use each other's pet names in public and don't seem to be embarrassed about it ! "Twee" is definitely not a compliment, and you'd never use it about yourself.

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

Vee, thanks. For the sort of Englishman you describe above, I used to hear the term "milquetoast" a lot.

For the house with too many lace doilies, bric-a-brac, etc. I've heard "tacky" used in the South and "schmaltz" used in the North.

• leel
    16 years ago

Kitsch would also ber used in the north for that house.

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

I thought I knew what a "prig" is, but now I'm not sure. Is it the Brit. equivalent for "prude"? Or more like the old-fashioned "Namby-pamby"?

Also, do Brits still use the term "crocodile" to describe a long line of people? I first heard this from an older English friend here in the States. Seemed odd to me, as you don't have alligators and we do....

• netla
    16 years ago

Woodnymph, while I am not British, I have understood "prig" to refer to someone who is very concerned with what's proper and right and smugly believes himself to be morally better than other people and is eager to correct what he sees as being the wrong behaviour in others, not because he wants to do them a favour but because he wants them to know he is better than they are.

• veer
    16 years ago

Mary, netla has suumed up a "prig" very well. It is a self-righteous person.
    A namby-pamby is more of a 'Mummies Boy', a 'softie', someone who is rather 'insipid'. Always said of boys (or even men) rather than girls.

A crocodile describes a line, almost always of childen, going 'two-by-two' . . . not just one behind the other.
    And thank God we don't have either crocodiles or alligators here. I feel about them as others do of spiders. It may be totally politically incorrect to say so, but if they were all turned into shoes and handbags I would not shed a tear (crocodile or otherwise)

• lemonhead101
    16 years ago

Dragging this thread up from the past because I have a question for Martin, Vee and others from the English-speaking isle:

I was doing some voice-over work for a British telephone answering machine ordered by some company... You know the type: "Press one for this, press two for that..."
    Anyway, I couldn't remember what the name for "#" (that sign on the telephone key pad) was. Is it "hash" or is it "pound" or is it something else?

Anyone know? I guessed and said "hash" and hoping it was right as I don't know if I want to go back and read all that script again if I was wrong!

• martin_z
    16 years ago

In the UK, "#" is "hash". So you're all right, if it's intended to be used in the UK.

In the US, "#" is "pound".

Working for a US bank, I am used to both.

• veer
    16 years ago

Liz, what will this lead to? The speaking clock? I speak your weight? Stand-in for Judi Dench in Portia's speech from The Merchant of Venice on DVD?
    Give us the name of the answering machine firm so we can dial in and listen to those clipped English tones. :-)

• lemonhead101
    16 years ago

Thanks, Martin and Vee.

Vee - your comments about the speaking time made me laugh out loud at work today. I had to explain why I was laughing to my co-worker!

Thanks for the laugh!

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

Would some of our British friends clue me in to what a "dogsbody" actually is? I keep finding it used in English based works. I have the general idea it is the same as the American "gofer".

(Hope I have not asked this before).

• ccrdmrbks
    16 years ago

more beaten-down than a gofer, but the same general gist. gets the jobs/chores no one else wants.

• veer
    16 years ago

cece is right, dogsbody can also mean a drudge; no family is without one in the UK and guess who it usually is. ;-)

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

Thanks. Here is another query: reading an ad in an English newspaper that is offering for sale "plus fours" and "plus twos." what are these?

• veer
    16 years ago

Mary, plus fours/plus twos were/are trousers (like the old fashioned knickerbokers) some men wear for playing golf.
    I'm sure they must still be warn by older men in the US.
    Plus twos are a bit less baggy round the knees.
    Are you reading a modern newspaper?

Here is a link that might be useful: Plus Fours Plus Twos

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

Vee, LOL, I found the ad on the back of one of the cuttings you had sent me! ;-) No, I do not think older men in the U.S. wear these still. I've got old photos of my father in the 1920's wearing knickerbockers. I think golfer Bobby Jones made the style popular in the 1930's.

• leel
    16 years ago

No--no knickers (as they were called here). Now they wear loud plaid pants!

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

Yep, or pants with alligators on them, in the deep south, in weird hues of green and rose....

• mariannese
    16 years ago

My father wore plusfours in the 50'ies. I am sure they must have been very practical for riding a bicycle, no trouser legs to get tangled.

• ginny12
    16 years ago

I don't think plus fours have been worn by anyone in the US since before WW2. I know my father wore them as a boy in the 20s and I've seen pictures of men playing golf in the 30s wearing them--but never since the war have I seen a photo or real-life example of these. Well, actually I wasn't born til after the war but you get the point.

How about frock? Nancy Drew always wore frocks but that's a word I have never heard anyone say in the US. How about the UK, Vee?

• veer
    16 years ago

Ginny, we had a discussion about frocks somewhere around RP not long ago.
    I got the impression no US female has worn one for many years but the word is still around over here although it has come to be used as in a 'party frock' event or maybe a summery picnic-by-the-river/watching a game of polo with an eligible Royal.
    At the other extreme 'frocks' are worn by the transvestite community. The artist Grayson Perry collected his Turner Prize wearing a natty little number . . . a path down which I shall no further tread.
    Re plus-fours my father wore them as a young man about town/golf course, years before he married.
    We still have the long socks/stockings that he wore with them. They were kept for Christmas Eve and left at the end of our beds for 'Father Christmas' (as we in the UK call Santa Claus). They were inherited by our children, pity Dad didn't have three legs.
    Still holding up well since c1930 . . . could the same be said of modern materials?

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths