Best Reads of 2023
2 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (9)
Related Discussions
March Reading 2023
Comments (66)Vee, thanks for the warning! It will probably take some time to be shown here on a Free to Air channel anyway if at all! The paid services get the good shows early but although I could afford a subscription, I can't be bothered. I have enough to watch mostly with an occasional DVD library loan. Re...toilets and lavatories, I recall being told not to use certain words, deemed to be rude. We went to the bathroom and only spoke of our bottoms and backsides! It helped when the classless Loo became popular....See MoreWhat are you reading? April 2023 Edition
Comments (79)Just finished our latest book club read, The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt. My brain hurts and some of it was uncomfortable to read. It was written before the run-up to the 2016 election and all that has happened since so I wonder if he would hold now to some of the things he wrote. Tonight is our author meeting and he will get asked that for sure. I am no longer a fast reader, but I'm also reading things that require more of my deep attention and going back repeatedly to really understand. I want to read Tim Urban's What's Our Problem but doubt I'll get to it anytime soon. Gosh it's been decades(?) since I read The Shell Seekers and can't remember anything beyond being totally engrossed in the story....See MoreWhat are you reading? May 2023 Edition
Comments (63)Rho, I did not care for Lessons in Chemistry at all. It was a silly attempt to shoehorn a classic autistic-but-goodhearted modern protagonist complete with 21st century feminist values into a 1960s setting. And some of the plot contrivances simply were impossible to accept Came here to share something I am happily absorbed in, a book recommended in the NYT summer reading guide. Courting Dragons is tons of Tudor mystery fun complete with a very winning protagonist. Will Somers was an actual person, King Henry VIII's fool, who served him for many years. The book makes Will the focus of a mystery in Henry's court, set during the King's Great Matter AKA the effort to get Henry divorced from his first wife Catherine of Spain so he could marry Anne Boleyn. Will is a terrific character-sharp witted, warm hearted with a VERY active bisexual love life which is a bracing new angle for fans of Tudor England LOL. Definitely recommend this for all of us who love books set during this period of history. Lots of details about life at court, personalities of the great nobles including the King, Anne etc. ETA: This is the first of a new series and the authors note says she is already working on the second book...See MoreWhat are you reading? September 2023 Edition
Comments (81)i read The Stolen Marriage ( Diane Chamberlain) for book club. I was going to pass because it just didn't seem like my type of book, and the past few I've read have been really duds. Anyway it was available on kindle from the library so I tried it. I was so pleased at what a good read it was. It really drew me in and each time I read, I'd start to take a break and then think, well, maybe one more chapter. It was a very good mystery, historical fiction, romance, etc. All the things. It was a very "easy read" in that it was effortless to stick with it. There's definitely a lot to discuss, and the historical parts of it were very interesting. ( for starters, the polio epidemic, as well as WW2 and race relations in the south). I would have given 5 stars, but to me the ending was a bit forced and the few improbable pieces began to bother me more. So, I'd give it 4 stars but high 4 stars. I still would recommend it and am glad I read it....See More- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
Related Stories

HOUZZ PRODUCT NEWSWhat Will We Want in Our Landscapes in 2023?
Read 8 trends landscape designers predict for home gardens and outdoor living spaces this year
Full Story
HOUZZ TV5 Home Design Trends on the Horizon in 2023
See and read how natural materials, modern rustic style and other design trends are expected to take off this year
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNWhat Will We Want in Our Landscapes in 2023?
Read 8 trends landscape designers predict for home gardens and outdoor living spaces this year
Full Story
TRENDING NOWThe 5 Most Popular Outdoor Makeovers of 2023
Get fresh ideas for a yard, patio or porch from these most-read outdoor remodeling stories of the year
Full Story
TRENDING NOWWatch the 5 Most Popular Houzz TV Episodes of 2023
Take virtual tours of — and read about — the stylish homes featured in our most-watched Houzz TV videos of the year
Full Story
TRENDING NOWThe 5 Most Popular Kitchen Tours of 2023
Get ideas for finishes, layouts, design styles and storage solutions from the most-viewed kitchen profiles of the year
Full Story
EVENTS7 Landscape Design Trends From the 2023 Chelsea Flower Show
This year’s event celebrates the unexpected, showcasing everything from pretty weeds to edible ornamental plants
Full Story
TRENDING NOWTop 10 Home Offices So Far in 2023
Houzz readers took note of functional built-ins, light-filled spaces and smart ways to set up a multipurpose room
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALS7 Landscape Design Trends From the 2023 Chelsea Flower Show
This year’s event celebrates the unexpected, showcasing everything from pretty weeds to edible ornamental plants
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALS8 Design Trends From London’s Decorex 2023
See the ideas and innovations showcased at the October show
Full Story
salonva