OT........what are you other pleasures ?
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (24)
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
Related Discussions
OT: what do you cook and how does it affect your layout?
Comments (14)I do a lot of one pot dishes, meat and potatoes, stroganof, bean soup with ham, spagetti, etc., then after working to make lovely (and very high calorie food) I grind it all up in a food processor. No matter what the food, it always appears to be something gray with butter in the end (or red if it's spagetti). So I wanted lots of counter space for prep, a huge range to cook in and on, and somewhere to keep the food processor busy while grinding and cooking. Then I package it all up in 6oz packages and freeze it. This is all for DS...I don't normally cook our family meals (DH is a fabulous cook). I never envisioned myself grinding and freezing food LOL if anyone knew I'd lose my "Amatuer chef of the year" award from the mid 80's...I wonder if I could grind up a cheesecake...heh heh DH does all of the cooking when we entertain and for our family dinners. We planned the kitchen so that he could work efficiently, with a stainless counter run between the main sink and stove. That huge stove, with appropriate hood so he can stirfry, and prep space behind him to work on vegis while meat is happening on the stainless side. On the other side of the island we have a sink, and two counters. They're sort of "my" zone when we entertain, for appetizer prep, salad prep, and landing zones for dishes between courses. Our sink and DW are lined up with the main dish/silver storage, so that some day, when DS becomes useful, he can put away dishes or set the table without being in DH's way. The fridge is between the two zones so that we can both access it easily. So far it flows very well. We made our isles bigger than they were (they were about 29" wide prior) and planned appliances that don't fill the isles when open. Dish and food storage is planned based on when it's used and how, so that they're close to the functions that make sense (ie wine glasses and decanters are close to the dining room door since we tend to use a lot of them during parties). But no matter how well we planned...we couldn't increase the size of the kitchen, so after a dinner party for six...it all looks pretty much like this LOL: I was half way through cleaning up when I took those pics LOL we really do make a mess, and having lots of counters to toss it on between courses was a big deal to us....See MoreOT? What do you hope to get from this forum?
Comments (51)Although I've been on a number of decorating forums over the last 7 years or so, I've really enjoyed this one. While I can get a little caught up in the problems of new neighbors, housebreaking a dog, or other more conversational posts, My main enjoyment is in seeing how other people work out their decorating issues, what shade of paint works best with oak cabinets, how to choose between granite and tile, and what the craigslist dresser looks like when it gets into YOUR house and gets properly accessorized. I love that. I love the average house renovated and made more perfect for it's owner. I like being able to make a suggestion that helps someone else work out a problem. It's very fulfilling to suggest a paint shade and have that shade put on someone's wall, and seeing the end result--a beautiful room. It's a kick to see my own Kohler Vinnata faucet (that I myself found through the Kitchen's forum) in other settings, perhaps with Emerald Pearl granite and white cabinets, or maybe with Venetian Gold granite and dark cherry cabinets. I love seeing how someone covered their club chairs with cheap matelasse coverlets and they look amazing. I love seeing a porch with drapes made of painter's dropcloths. It's nice to have ideas for more expensive homes with custom details, as well as more modest homes and budgets that need clever thinking to make things beautiful. I love the ideas and the people. I like being able to ask a question about whether to keep the Jacobean dining set I found on Ebay or sell it and get something else. My friends are predjudiced and think all my stuff looks cute. Or........they cannot believe I did red in my entry and say so. You guys are different. Some of you don't care for my style, but are really too kind to say so. Some of you are way too complimentary but it still makes me feel good even when I know you are gushing. And as many have commented before me, it's a real comfortable feeling to be able to worry about moldings or paint shades or furniture fabrics, with a group of people who don't think it's making too much ado about nothing. Red...See MoreSemi-OT: What did you accomplish this year?
Comments (17)OMG!!! I had that same issue last year, LOL. I bought 4 saplings (katsura, stella cherry, franklin tree, and catalpa) for our large and treeless backyard, panicked because I didn't plan first where to put them, and then just furiously dug holes, giving the katsura the prime space (it grows huge), and just sticking the others in various locations. When we leveled the front yard, we also leveled a bit of the side yard. I replanted the cherry tree there, so the katsura is in the center of our backyard, the franklin tree is in one corner about 5 feet from the fence, and the catalpa is in the other corner. DON'T do it! LOL!!!...See MoreOT - What other variegated plants do you grow besides C&S?
Comments (15)So many beautiful plants everyone! I'm really enjoying this thread & hope you are too. Socks, your variegated Scheflera is so pretty! Whenever I see them, I think of Puerto Rico, the hotel had hundreds of them throughout the paths. Crenda, I love your white edged bromeliad, I don't recall seeing that type before. All wonderful plants and I love your pool & bar set up! SLD, Holy mackerel, AV 'Happy Herald' is freakin' amazing! LOVE IT!!! I have hoya bella too, yours looks so much better, I need to repot mine soon. This is a yellow variegated Iris, (maybe 'Aureo Variegata') I planted it last summer and am happy that it made it through winter. This is my first time seeing it bloom. :) A variegated sedum (aka stonecrop). Also planted this last year. I noticed today that this a non-variegated section, perhaps someday I'll move that part. The top left little thing is variegated Bishops weed, (not a weed to me) it's been fried in the past years droughts and I am happy it is a survivor. The bottom plant, the variegated Ajuga, I bought recently at Walmart for under $2, and am pleasantly surprised at the pretty bloom. -Nancy...See More- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
Related Stories

LIFESimple Pleasures: Get Centered
Make time to regroup and recharge with a special spot for meditation, yoga or any other mindful pursuit
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMESimple Pleasures: The Joy of Fresh Sheets
Make your bed a place of comfort and relaxation with good-quality linens, ample pillows and other pleasing accoutrements
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMESimple Pleasures: Make Do and Mend
Experience the satisfaction of fixing, repurposing and creating things yourself around the home
Full Story
LIFESimple Pleasures: Put Your Records On
It’s cool to just relax on a recliner, delving deeply into tunes? Now that’s music to our ears
Full Story
FARMHOUSES15 Modern-Rustic Farmhouses Celebrate Simple Pleasures
All the charm, no-fuss style and wide porches might have you heading for the countryside
Full Story
CRAFTSSimple Pleasures: Crafting for Fun and Relaxation
Recharge the unplugged way during downtime with crafts and building projects, alone or in a group
Full Story
LIFESimple Pleasures: The Big Sunday Lunch
Make Sunday afternoons special with a casual, stress-free meal where friends and family pitch in
Full Story
HOLIDAYSSimple Pleasures: Enjoy a Restful Boxing Day
Catch up with friends on December 26 without catching the stress bug by taking the easy route to entertaining at home
Full Story
LIFESimple Pleasures: Get a Book Club Going
Kick back with friends and a thought-provoking read for an event that’s entertaining and educational all at once
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMESimple Pleasures: Scent and Memory
Fragrant jasmine, fresh-brewed coffee, baking bread. Scents can evoke memories and bring sensory pleasure to our homes
Full Story




Carolyn Newlen