SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Did you forget how to cook? Or ... to cook?

plllog
14 years ago

I didn't buy any groceries this week. It's been so long since I could cook I forgot that I could cook, I think. I mean, I made a really good casserole from a few leftovers, and I have to make stock from the turkey carcass (for which I have to work up the will), but just plain old meals have been a bit catch as catch can this week while I recovered from the push to clean up the house after the remodel.

But one does get tired of bread and cheese, yoghurt, lettuce, and leftovers (which are pretty well gone). Having nothing to cook, I couldn't think of what to make for a light dinner. The "aha" moment came and I thought, "Spaghetti!!"

I mean, hard is it to remember that spaghetti exists? Have any of you done that??? Forgotten the basics??

I had some DeBoles whole wheat spaghetti with Jerusalem artichoke flour (love that stuff!) in the pantry (I have a pantry!!), and an open bottle of arrabbiata sauce in the fridge which I'd been using for cooking. So I'm stirring the boiling pasta and it occurs to me that I used to always make sauce on the fly. And how nice would that be? But I didn't want to get started with a roux while my pasta was almost cooked, and I didn't want to get started with checking cans of tomato paste for spoilage during their year packed away, and decided to stick with the bottled sauce.

Another lightbulb went off! I could at least add some onions and garlic. They were in the fridge drawer right behind me. I started a pan with a little olive oil, and Italian Herb and Garlic Pepper, which I keep by the stove. I chopped the onion quick, and pressed the garlic, and threw them in. Then I thought I could cut up some of the little heirloom tomatoes. And part of a yellow bell pepper. It turned into a great one dish meal! I could never have done this in the old kitchen with the hike to the fridge. The new fridge isn't so far--I got out some shredded asiago to finish it off. It was really good.

Is it just me? Did you forget how to cook too?

Comments (44)