SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

Tile/carpet threshold question - xpost w/ bath forum

lisa_a
12 years ago

We're redoing the boys' bathroom, a forced remodel thanks to a flood (toilet supply line sprung a leak and we didn't realize it for several days because they're away at college). We've wanted to replace the vinyl floor with a heated tile floor for ages. It's cantilevered over the deck below and it always seems cold in there. Anyhoo, that's our rationalization because if their bathroom gets heated tiled floors, then our bathroom gets them, too. ;-)

The builder did not install underlayment in our 2nd floor (and may not have in our downstairs either, for all I know). All we have is subfloor. The builder gave us some blather about how not installing an underlayment would mean no squeaky floors (BS, we have squeaky floors) but I think it was because he was trying to make a bit more money off us. Water under the bridge, moving on....

Without underlayment, I'm wondering if we're going to have issues with getting the new heated tile floor to mesh with our carpeted hallway or if we'll have a noticeable difference in height between the two types of flooring. I can manipulate that a little bit with new pad and carpeting (carpeting was also ruined in this area, plus it's 17 1/2 years old so time to go) but will it be enough? Would it be a good idea to install underlayment when we replace the carpeting? Or would that create more problems than it's worth? I know we'd have issues at the stairs so we'd have to figure that out and doors would need to be shaved a bit, plus molding moved up (but we plan to update that, too since we plan to stay put for 10-15 more years). No clue how to do this and would rather not bring this up to our contractor until I know whether this is a hair-brained idea or worth pursuing.

Thanks!!

Comments (12)