SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
autumngal_gw

X-post need help choosing 1898 victorian bath floor

autumngal
15 years ago

Hello, I've also going to post this question at bathrooms, but I really wanted to get some input from people with some preservationist leanings. I didn't mention that we will be doing all of this DIY and this is the only place to bathe right now, so those things should be also taken into consideration.

We are moving in (hopefully closing today!)to an 1898 victorian home, it's a very simple victorian, no real leaning to one style or another. The main bathroom has a claw foot tub, a neat old toilet with push-button flush, and an old sink. The walls have a strange white with weird blue spatter on them with a black tile edge. I'm not a huge fan but they'll do for now. The main problem is the floor, which has a sheet of something on it, which is crumbling. Under is the wood floor.

We will (at some point) be putting another full bath in, so I'd really like to keep the neat fixtures and make this more of a period bathroom. I know bathrooms weren't too fancy in Victorian times, what would the traditional floor be? Just wood? Are we better off re-finishing the wood floor and eventually putting in wood wainscotting, or is wood just a terrible choice and we should tile it.

Another note, there is a ton to do on this house (we will not have a kitchen at first, so re-doing that is #1), we were just going to leave the floor, but with it crumbling and with three little kids who pick at things, I think we'll need to do it sooner than later. But, a stop-gap measure of doing something would be great.

Thanks! This photo is from the MLS, we aren't moved in yet so I can't do a close-up.

Comments (18)