SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamie1s

Buyer realtor with non-local approach? Or, What's my problem?

Jamie
13 years ago

Have you ever heard of a realtor who helps you with a nationwide search? I visit historic property websites, and hobby farm websites. They are helpful, but I'm thinking a personal nudge/opportunity to talk would help me figure out where and what we want to buy for a retirement life. I guess I need a well-traveled insightful person to put on his social worker/psychiatrist hat and listen and talk to me.

We've been forced move and relocate near work for so long, and have been away from home for so long, and I can't seem to reconnect with any "old dreams" or settle on any new ones. All we really know is that

1. we don't need or want to be in the high RE tax areas where work is plentiful,

2. that we have a budget,

3. that we like nice houses,

4. we don't want to hear traffic in the bedroom when the window is open, or in the yard

5. must have a place to grow things

6. can't handle the heat in most of the south, but there may be places at high altitude where the summer is less intense?

7. don't want to locate in a place that is strictly recreational or for second homes or in a "created" community like a Del Webb.

8. Ok house to get elderly on a limited budget in: not super-high maintenance such as 2-story windows or complicated landscaping would be.

I've been trying to figure this out for 5 years. We've taken road trips, and I check all the websites all the time, but I think I need to find some kind of organizing priniciple in myself to guide this search, and I can't find it.

The link below is a property that, but for the lack of a fireplace, is something that I *thought* would be ideal. (Close to the beatiful Lake Michigan beaches, close enough to Chicagoland where I'm from, some land, probably not loud, 4 seasons, paved road, low taxes)

Because I'm not jumping all over it, even though we just listed our current home, I've begun to get really worried about this process.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old and brick and acreage

Comments (18)