SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Buyers and a language/cultural dilemma

jane__ny
14 years ago

We have sold our house and the closing is a week from today. Sold to a lovely young couple from Korea. They have two small children. Both are doctors at a large medical center in our area.

I posted on a different thread about their request to come and look at any gardening tools we have as they need tools. This came as an email from my agent. Before I could respond, I received another email from my agent saying the buyers agent requested a walk-through tomorrow and would like to see what furniture/tools we have. No one every mentioned furniture. I certainly didn't want a walk through tomorrow as the house is a mess with boxes. Movers come Thurs am.

Called my agent and she suggested I contact buyers agent directly. Buyers agent is also Korean and her English is difficult to understand. I called buyers agent. I told her we couldn't do walk-through tomorrow and suggested the morning of the closing (Monday). She said, No, buyers want to talk to you and have a lot of questions. They have never owned a house and need to learn how house works. She then said they had no furniture as they have been renting a furnished house. I was dumbfounded, didn't know what to say. I told her I had a few pieces of furniture they could have. She said they would pay for anything and needed furniture and had many questions about how house works.

I have summarized this conversation as I had difficulty really understanding what she was saying/asking.

I called my agent back and told her and she told me I could let them come if I wanted. She actually finds the whole thing funny, but I'm not sure I do. I asked her if such a thing is done. She said no usually but she didn't see a problem.

Sorry this is so long - its actually longer, but I'm trying to keep it short. What would you do?

Jane

Comments (32)