SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brent_in_nova

Patterns in Landscape Design

Brent_In_NoVA
18 years ago

As a software engineer by trade, for a while you could not get away from "The Gang of Four" and the idea of patterns. The basic idea of patterns was attributed to Christopher Alexander's 1977 book "A Pattern Language". I have never read this book and my impression is that it deals mostly with house design. I am currently reading "Your House, Your Garden" by Gordon Hayward, and low and behold it contains a number of references to "A Pattern Language". It includes some excerpts that apply directly to landscape design. This got me thinking about the current state of patterns for landscape design.

Does much of Christopher Alexander's writing deal with landscape design? Have there been other books that apply patterns directly toward landscape design? In Gordon Hayward's book you can see where he has patterns that he applies to common situations (if the entrance to your house is in a courtyard on the west side of your house you may want to..., or if two wings of your house meet at a ell then you may want to...).

For those that have no idea what I am talking about in regards to patterns, Christopher Alexander described patterns as: "Each pattern describes a problem which occurs over and over again in our environment and then describes the core of the solution to that problem, in such a way that you can use the solution a million times over, without ever doing it the same way twice."

- Brent

Comments (16)