SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ajcn

Landscape designer right pro to hire for whole backyard reno design?

AJCN
3 years ago

We have a big backyard that is in need of some serious work. I don't want to start meeting with contractors because I want to be able to present them with a design so that everyone is on the same page as far as the scope of work. For the first step of working out an overall design, should I be hiring a landscape designer, a landscape architect?

Here is what I think the scope of work would be; a lot of work:

- retaining wall is half falling down and needs to be re-built and we'd like to tier it

- pool needs re-plastering and some fixes and improvements

- yard needs quite a bit of re-landscaping

- patio is too small for our wishes to have dining plus lounge areas on the flat places

- we'd like a fire pit

- dock at lake line is half falling apart, too small and no seating, and needs a better connection to the patio via steps that would be connected to the retaining wall

- would like to wrap columns that hold up second floor balcony in cedar, put cedar ceiling onto back porch

- balcony has a structural issue and probably needs the support beam replaced across the whole span below

- would like to improve covered balcony by probably doing cedar columns and ceiling like the ones below it, plus new railing

- and I've always hated the pink/orangy brick that my whole house has, so would love to paint it a soft white color

- and other things, because I don't know what I don't know.

So, is the first move to hire a landscaper designer?

Comments (14)